Does it worth flushing to OS2008 ot staying with OS2007?

From the point of the system stability and the amount of properly working applications.

Thanks

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Considering that the official update is due in two weeks (we hope), I would hold off on flushing till then. But I couldn't resist, and it has been a fun test. But if you are in it for practicality, wait.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
I downgraded. It's not completely ready for primetime yet.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Considering that the official update is due in two weeks (we hope), I would hold off on flushing till then. But I couldn't resist, and it has been a fun test. But if you are in it for practicality, wait.
Man, his house is going to stink to high heaven by then!

OS 2007 is fairly mature by now with a decent set of ported applications. OS 2008 is new and only a beta is officially available for the N800. I would wait until the official release. Some of the changes made in OS 2008 should make porting existing Linux desktop aplications to the tablets easier, but as of now there are fewer available aplications. Some of the major applicatins such as Maemo Mapper, Mplayer, etc. but are not necessarily well tuned as few of the applications developers have their N810's yet due to delays in the developer discount program.

I depend on the brave folks who post at Internet Tablet Talk. Now that I use the N800 all the time I'm going to wait and read very carefully the posts here about the official OS2008.
From the point of the system stability and the amount of properly working applications.
Depends oh what you use the tablet to do. I divide it into the categories "must have" and "luxury." I must have a way to check e-mail, web sites and chat through Skype. The luxury category is playing my "tunes" (MP3 or Rhapsody) or listening to the BBC. I would like to be able to listen to my favorite internet radio streams but I understand that won't be until OS2008.

I was considering the 2008 Beta but after reading comments, I'll stay with OS2007 for now.
Watch this space. I'm sure there will be lots of information the middle of December.

As far as just browsing goes, its great. If you need apps, then wait.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Yep, browsing is better and flash (youtube etc) too. The dictionary added in the browser is great.

But not at all sip, skype, thumb-board, xterm, FM radio. If you need to use any of those stay away!

I'm also confused if I should downgrade or wait for the next update..

Last edited by Saturn; 2007-12-02 at 15:13.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by belder View Post
I would like to be able to listen to my favorite internet radio streams but I understand that won't be until OS2008.
I may have misunderstood this point, but both OS2007 and OS2008 can play internet radio streams 100%. The issue lies with FM radio, in that the FM radio applet has not yet been ported to OS2008.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The FM radio applet is not (yet?) available for OS 2008, but MediaBox will bring FM radio back to OS 2008 in its next release.