Active Topics

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ USA & UK
I just want to let everyone know I've been waiting for +18months for this device (should've bought the n900 & not listened to negativity, my bad)

BUT I had ZERO idea Nokia would be the kind of company that would produce a device i wanted to pay for and then not actually sell it (dev device w/keyboard)

i also just got a family member to buy 2000 shares @5.85 hoping they were about to get it together ... how is the stock going to rebound when they don't offer to sell devices people want and don't give people a release date for the new phone ....

if they had a pre-order up right now they could effectively guage interest in the device and act accordingly, even the keyboard version ...

pi$$ed

Originally Posted by olympus View Post
so if i see correct in these videos, even the multitasking is ****ed up, cause when he swipes the movie in the background it stops playing. that's no real multitasking there surprise, surprise!
Maybe the app is made that way, what's the point of playing video in background?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
The biggest loss is the widgets. I can no longer give the weather a cursary glance, or check my calendar without opening it. Also does this tombstone applications? How does one close an app?
if i remember right, close app is long press but im not sure.

also, for the weather, you can see in this video: at 40ish seconds that in the feeds view, there is in the upper right corner a small cloud icon indicating the current weather. not as good as a real widget, but maybe it can be customized...

The Following User Says Thank You to choufleur47 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
STFU whiners take it or leave it, no need to nitpick over stupid things

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Hmm, a PowerVR GPU. I guess there will be no open drivers for that.

so if i see correct in these videos, even the multitasking is ****ed up, cause when he swipes the movie in the background it stops playing. that's no real multitasking there surprise, surprise!
ehhh?????

Play vid in background? why? its not even like that on the n900. dont know whats your problem dude.

He said clearly that its live multitasking but of course a video will stop if you cant see it.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Sorry, was busy playing with the N9 and only started tweeting after the event.

I've used the N9 for good 45minutes or so. Going through many things, recording videos of many parts of the phone while navigating through the OS, swiping and more swiping etc. I should have been more organized with what I needed to document but failed as I didn't write it up before it. =P

But yeah, I got to use it. It had no SIM card and I didn't have any Micro SIM to try out the online components unfortunately. But still did a lot of swiping around tryingto get familiar with how it works.

I will be quick here as I have a lot to write up about it on my blog with videos after I edit it a bit. Hopefully I can write up a bit and post it up by tonight. But yeah, that depends...

Anyways:

1. UI interaction feels great once you get used to it. Multitasking is super quick. You can switch between apps quicker than any other phone period. (except for maybe the N900) Seriously this is the best part of the N9. So different to any other OS in terms of how you can interact.

2. OS is super simple. Only thing you can customize is the location of the icons and the wallpaper in the lock screen. That's pretty much it. There is no "home" screen as such with widgets at all. It still has a long way to go till it is more "complete" but I guess it's pretty impressive nonetheless for version 1.0 that it is. (well, the test device I had is even an earlier build than the one shown off at Singapore)

3. Phone feels hefty. Feels super solid. Feels like it's made out of solid metal. In terms of pure hw quality feel in hand, this is as good as it comes. It's also very unique due to the single piece solid coloured molded body. It's definitely a looker. Especially the Cyan/Pink versions.

4. While playing a video with the default player, if you swipe it to the side, video pauses. I was quite disappointed when that happened. (but I guess that happens with N900 also unless you use mplayer) So yeah, I hope this can be modified or a 3rd party player will allow persistent playback even when it's put in to the background. (yeah, it's just what I want even if nobody else wants it. lol)

Overall, I was disappointed (the techy geek in me) and also very impressed/excited at the same time. I can't wait till the developers get s a hold of this phone/OS and see what they can do with it. Potential is definitely there. Really happy to see it have 1GB of RAM also. It is also a device you can easily recommend in confidence to your family/friends unlike the N900.

I'll sure be busy tonight! (I'm no good at video editing...)

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
True multi-tasking, video pausing is a design decision. It is up to apps to decide how they scale down their battery use while in the background.

Games also obviously pause when you move them to the background, it would be insane if they wouldn't. With movies I can understand that sometimes you might want to listen to the audio in the background, but in the vast majority of cases, pausing is probably what you want.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
so true! take it or leave it. all of a sudden people are nitpicking ridiculous things, what a shame

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Reminds me of the N900 annoucement discussion when it became a bit more consumer like device with phone functions and more pocketable.

Me myself was most interested about the UI and it delivered big time. To repeat myself the HDMI is still the biggest downer to me, but i guess i could live with my ipad 2 as HDMI out and airplay media hub like it is now.
Though this device needs to come out in Q3.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland