Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
I am really torn about this one. Why another closed UX on a platform that won't get long term support? No landscape and not fixable? The reverse maemo. This device would have been the perfect start for Nokia to move from symbian to meego for the masses.
However, the device for the masses will be WP. So what is the point? Killer/trial features would be great for this as them not working could always be blamed on the linux OS, while success could be mainstreamed through WP.
No SD slot?
Anyway I will probably get one for my wife as it looks great for what it is just not what it should be.

incoherent ramble end.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Seems to confirm that there'll be no Flash support for the browser. It's getting worse with every piece of information revealed.
That would have required better CPU anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to Mobilesynthesist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
I hope Q3.
i would like to hope so.

my contract is up on my n900.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
+1

still curious. it was rumored to be something about the touch screen, something about text input... nothing we know about the N9 so far qualifies as amazing or never seen before in this regard. so at least those "you won't miss the HW keyboard"-statements were wrong.
They were probably referring to the swipe gesture to get to the task switcher. No need for Ctrl+Backspace, and thus no need for HWKB. This is what counts as amazing innovation in post 11-02-2011 Nokia.

I say Holy-unneccessary-and-imprecise-swipe-gestures Batman.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Originally Posted by Mobilesynthesist View Post
That would have required better CPU anyway
In my opinion Flash 10.x works pretty well on N900 when you are using the latest NITDroid.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stonik For This Useful Post:
remember, a lot of us are coming from the *geek* community so we have learned to love the N900 for what it is. this phone, the N9, is not meant for that community (at least not from the bits of information that have surfaced so far) so there's bound to be dislikes / hatred. it doesn't mean the phone is bad. it just means Nokia is targeting a different segment. this might just be a stop-gap measure until their WP phone appears.

if what i'm reading is right, the majority of folks whom nokia are targeting and who might buy this device will probably not care that it runs meego underneath. so it makes perfect sense for nokia to release this phone now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
and harmattan would have been step 5, but what has happened?
There is a new device called N9 with MeeGo 1.2 HARMATTAN on it.
So it seems to be step 5 and that means, because it is step 5 of 5 there will be no further steps. That's sad because step 5 couldn't convinced me.

I don't know on which price the N9 will be sold, but if it is not really cheap i fear it will not be very successful. And if it isn't successful I fear there will be no successor.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
such a shame that nokia is going wp7. Personally I don't need many apps, so I will buy it anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Seriously. Give me a decent email app, and I'll buy this one. IMO Modest is a joke that gets old pretty soon.

I don't know on which price the N9 will be sold, but if it is not really cheap i fear it will not be very successful. And if it isn't successful I fear there will be no successor.
They couldn't have done better hardware for a bestseller. Looks great and reasonable specs (more would have made it too expensive).

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????