dang! i want this phone. would it be really that hard for nokia to release it for consumers? too bad i hate the n97 / sidekick 4g sliding mechanism...

in addition to the video mobilenet.cz has a series of pics as well

http://mobilenet.cz/clanky/bajna-nok...o-a-dojmy-7222

Last edited by quipper8; 2011-06-21 at 23:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
People from Openmobility were on the unveiling - and there should also be an article + pics tomorrow.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by jnack95 View Post
I really don't get it...what does this device have that the N900 doesn't ? 1Gz? Anything else?
54px

blah blah too short

What they may do is release the N9 so the die hard people with rush out and buy it then the 1st signs of sales drying up months later release the N950 to get sales going again.

I mean if the phone/tablets are close spec wise, then putting the main board inside a new case with hardware keyboard and a slightly bigger screen and unlock the software so you can develop on it would push sales up again.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Most people are indifferent of a HWKB so a thinner device is more appealing to them. I remember I was. But this was before my first hwkb phone. After that you never go back. And I have seen very few hwkb owners willing to go back. Some company should evangelize the hwkb+ts and capitalize on it. Touch and type is a good, very good idea, I've been saying it for years. Now somebody should make a kb flagship without a vkb counterpart, and give you other reasons to buy it. Next time you will ask for kb, and before the competitors know it, that somebody will sell you their new kb device.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
a few things I noticed in the n950 video:

icons in app launcher do not re-orient to landscape mode

there is a terminal app there

Originally Posted by Darkshine View Post
Exactly this happens all the time, in companies all around the world. And Nokia are finally learning to do it too - release less phones, make them more focused, stop trying to cram everything into it. The N950 is one of those casualties.

I can't think of a better argument for why a phone is being produced and sold in small quantities just for developers - it would've made more sense to send out a stripped-back N9 (or hell, just a normal N9 on a lease). It's not like they're gonna be writing code right there on the thumb-board.
I respectfully disagree. I know products get canceled all the time, but my main point was that cannibalism of the N9 had almost nothing to do with it, imo.

Not in step 5 of 5; not at Nokia.

Defective production, maybe. PR move, maybe. Elop move, maybe. Cannibalism of N9, I don't believe so.

You don't produce 90,000+ devices (retail price ~$600+) and can them as an afterthought. Not at that stage for that reason.

And the fact they aren't selling them to anyone period also raises eyebrows.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Caracas - Miami - Caracas
N950 Black Developer edition:

s3.gizmovil.com/files/2011/06/Nokia-N950.jpg

It is horrible to know that the n950 is only available for developers. Omg... Look at the pic. If Jesus were alive, he would use that phone!.

Elop should let people buy the N950!!!!!

s3.gizmovil.com/files/2011/06/Nokia-N950.jpg

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eduardo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Not in step 5 of 5; not at Nokia.
But it wasn't the final step - they're pre-production phones built for showing off and developing on. They still had a boatload of work to do before firing up the factories for a full production batch.

Cannibalism of N9, I don't believe so.
If you have the choice of selling 95 000 copies of a newspaper, or 100 000 copies of two similar newspapers split roughly evenly, what are you gonna do? Smart companies don't cannibalise sales of their own devices.

You don't produce 90,000+ devices
Where did you get that figure from, out of interest?

And the fact they aren't selling them to anyone period also raises eyebrows.
Not really - Nokia don't want their name on a phone they're not willing to back with a Warranty.

Tags
gimme, plz lemme buy, take my money!, want noa!!