Active Topics

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
this thing has been blown way out of proportion imo... i think they just dont have carrier agreements in these countries. either they will eventually, or you can just buy an unlocked phone.
If it takes 2 or more months to reach the major markets, the hardware will be even MORE out of date, also there won't be many consumers buying it unless there is money spent on advertising

Tbh I reckon alot of people wont even know the N9's exists until it has its own advert

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
I really had high hopes for the N9 and its an amazing device that will no doubt penetrate the mass market but its not what i am looking for.

Most forum members here will understand what i am saying.
I want a device with that will offer a desktop linux experience - hildon is a perfect example of that with a hardware keyboard and all the nerd kingdom goodies out there.
I want a device that will replace the need for a tablet and a dumphone combo.

In the end, it seems that i want what most people on this forum want, a stronger N900.

Is anyone going to make that for me?
Agreed, updated N900 would be great (better HW specs and slimmer), hopefully Nokia do another "NIT" device, as well as more "N" series.

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
You can only hope that N9 sells well, and NOKIA will make you what you want as they have done with N900.
This is probably the best way to get a proper N900 successor, if the N9 makes money, hopefully that increases the interest in MeeGo etc and more devices/support are born from its success.

What worries me is the support it will be given, don't get me wrong the community has done more for the N900 than I thought was possible but that is only because I came on here and geeked it up, the average N9 user isn't going to do that, so it needs good support from the source and from third parties.

If that doesn't happen it will surely fail along with our dreams of an all-singing-all-dancing MeeGo based N900 successor....

That beginning said the N900 pretty much covers all my needs at the moment, but better HW tech would be nice

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
please show a link with official STATEMENT from NOKIA this is the case else you are a troll.
There website says no availability for any of the major markets. Have a look yourself.

www.nokia.com/n9

Also somewhere on a conversations blog with the N9's UX a Nokian was replying saying that they werent planning general availability in the main markets mentioned.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
If it takes 2 or more months to reach the major markets, the hardware will be even MORE out of date, also there won't be many consumers buying it unless there is money spent on advertising

Tbh I reckon alot of people wont even know the N9's exists until it has its own advert
better hardware? who cares about better hw when OS is not optimized for it? (=android, wp7)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Yes i have and you should reread my post, aside from the UI the N9 lacks major hardware components from the nerd kingdom to suit my needs.
As much as a prefer FOSS i am not a fanboy and i will not spend money on a device just for the sake of it.

I dont get your point, n900 is for geeks and N9 is can be for geeks. There will be a community edition so people can throw out the official UI and replace with something else IF they want to.

Have you bothered to read about this at meego.com and developer.nokia.com?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
better hardware? who cares about better hw when OS is not optimized for it? (=android, wp7)
MeeGo has been built up and would support the better hardware..

Meaning that it would have a much longer life cycle in terms of usability with the extra core or even just for the sake of better power consumption as the new Mali GPU and the OMAP4 would have much better power consumption then OMAP3 and the SGX530

My Contributions

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
There website says no availability for any of the major markets. Have a look yourself.

www.nokia.com/n9

Also somewhere on a conversations blog with the N9's UX a Nokian was replying saying that they werent planning general availability in the main markets mentioned.
that proves nothing. it maybe will be release FIRST in smaller country.

I really hope this is the case. Othervise we should make this clear for Nokia thatt US/UK/German also want this device!

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-06-22 at 15:19.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Agreed, but better HW + optimized OS = (+ "future proof")

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA

i would argue that traditional advertising is much less important these days. more people are reading engadget and cnet than ever, and these pages are often linked to from popular pages like huffington post and cnn. word of mouth is what matters to the n9, and thus far it has been overwhelmingly positive

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

I really hope this is the case. Othervise we should make this clear for Nokia thatt US/UK/German also want this device!
yes - we will have another 1000 page thread and online petition !

Nokia will listen - I _know_ in my heart they will !

Tags
boo hoo, epic fail, goodbye nokia, nerd rage, pleasing geeks, sell at loss