Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
It is slightly ironic, that this is probably the one place on the web, where the N9 is creating more negative than positive responses.
I'm pretty sure the people who created the phone expected such a response from TMO, it's not as if our tastes are not known. I'm almost positive that's one of the reasons (moving away from NIT) why so many in top management at MeeGo left Nokia in the past year.

I find it much more ironic that outside of TMO, especially the big tech sites, this MeeGo phone is getting so much praise, being a Nokia phone.

Considering the ecosystem, and all. Maybe it was even a stroke of genius, giving them something negative (Nokia moving away from MeeGo as the phone is released) to talk about so they could actually praise the phone itself.

Last edited by zlatokosi; 2011-06-22 at 15:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:

you buy it JUST because its got a Meego sticker on it ?

How is that different from iPhone fanatics buying anything that Steve Jobs shoves down their throat ?

Wrong platform - "brand as religion" devotees head over that way to High Priest Jobs.

Originally Posted by xRobby View Post
As much as you all hate the N9. If you want to keep MeeGo going, your going to have to buy it and act like it's the best phone you've ever had so other people buy it. Do this and at least Nokia will have something modern to fall back on if NokiaWP crashes and burns.
+ If that does happen, then bye bye Elop.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
I will actually be MUCH more disturbed if the general response here was NOT negative towards the N9.

TMO services a certain demographic, and if that entire demographic all started liking a product NOT because of its features, but because it has a MEEGO sticker on it, then this will have become an Apple temple.

Obviously some ppl like the phone and its probably right that the majority will like it, but here in this place to expect a general positive reaction "just" because its Meego is assinine.

disclaimer - I dont hate Apple products - I just hate consumers who buy on brand without looking at the underlying product itself.

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
I'm pretty sure the people who created the phone expected such a response from TMO, it's not as if our tastes are not known. I'm almost positive that's one of the reasons (moving away from NIT) why so many in top management at MeeGo left Nokia in the past year.

I find it much more ironic that outside of TMO, especially the big tech sites, this MeeGo phone is getting so much praise, after all it is a Nokia phone.

Considering the ecosystem, and all. Maybe it was even a stroke of genius, giving them something negative (Nokia moving away from MeeGo as the phone is released) to talk about so they could actually praise the phone itself.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Yes

How is that different from iPhone fanatics buying anything that Steve Jobs shoves down their throat ?
Very

Disclaimer:

My daily non-mobile hardware: All Apple
My daily mobile hardware: Nokia

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
I will actually be MUCH more disturbed if the general response here was NOT negative towards the N9.

TMO services a certain demographic, and if that entire demographic all started liking a product NOT because of its features, but because it has a MEEGO sticker on it, then this will have become an Apple temple.

Obviously some ppl like the phone and its probably right that the majority will like it, but here in this place to expect a general positive reaction "just" because its Meego is assinine.

disclaimer - I dont hate Apple products - I just hate consumers who buy on brand without looking at the underlying product itself.
i dont get that sense here at all. people are excited about the n9 because it looks impressive not because of blind fanboyism.

now the other side of the debate (the "FOSS is the only way" and "Linux is God" crowd)... that is another story

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
On the topic of the lack of removable battery: It's much better marketing-wise to advertise "polycarbonate unibody" than it is to advertise "removable battery". Honestly sometimes I feel like you guys have absolutely zero understanding of how the world works. So the N9 has a lot of characteristics you all dislike. THE WORLD IS NOT FULL OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU. GET OVER IT.
You're almost certainly exactly right about the marketing bit, and I (and others) agree with you that there is sometimes a lack of perspective of consumer priorities/market forces in TMO.

Now try playing nice...

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
i dont get that sense here at all. people are excited about the n9 because it looks impressive not because of blind fanboyism.

now the other side of the debate (the "FOSS is the only way" and "Linux is God" crowd)... that is another story
Honestly, to me, the N9 doesn't look impressive (it does look nice though). The UI yes, the actual phone, well....

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Not true! Apart from panasonic who was ignoring USB in favour of SD cards till recently (but they hav USB now) almost every other TV from 2008 onward has USB.
Most manufacturers only do this at 46" and up. My 2008 or 2009 Sony Bravia V series doesn't have USB at all.

The DVD player has USB, but *only* photos, no video.

I have used the N900 to play videos on LCD TVs as well as good old tube TVs. I don't really need HDMI, but it would have been nice.

I assume the N9 will have similar TV-out support as the N900, which is IMHO pretty nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Honestly, to me, the N9 doesn't look impressive (it does look nice though). The UI yes, the actual phone, well....
Right now I'm having a problem with the top-right-corner kill boxes not being available as soon as you go to the Open Application home. This long-press thing is going to get old fast. If Nokia doesn't change that, it should be hackable to immediately send it into that mode.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

Wrong platform - "brand as religion" devotees head over that way to High Priest Jobs.
As it stands now, the N9 is not certified as a MeeGo compliant device and will not have a MeeGo sticker on it. During the announcement, the only reference was that the N9 was "the outcome of our MeeGo project" or something very similar. Other mentions of MeeGo in the specs are accompanied by "Harmattan."

See also:

http://maemo.org/community/council/c...date-may_2011/

But the N9 still helps the MeeGo project because the press refers to its as a MeeGo phone

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????