Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think the lists are correct, since my country is on the harmattan list . But I wonder. How did nokia come up with the lists... I would want to be in that meeting where they decided that

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Godddd... WP7 is ssoo soo boring... -.-

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
What bothers me the most is that the WP7 will have a better hardware, because of the mandatory chipset from the WP7 spec sheet.

That will be the final nail in the coffin, as everybody will read the specs and assume that the WP7 phone is superior. Nokia even bothered to put a dedicated camera button on that

Last edited by Verythrax; 2011-06-23 at 16:19.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Verythrax For This Useful Post:
Excuse me for being so blunt and foul but this is bull$hit.

This just goes to prove that most big companies are nothing but money making machines, the "goodness" within Nokia came from the low level employee, developers and designers who stayed in touch with this communty.
The top guys who had any decency and morals already left trying to find their fortune in different places.

I was not going to buy the N9 but this feels like a painful punch bellow the belt, i can only imagine how the people who worked on harmattan feel like.

Last edited by Daneel; 2011-06-23 at 17:10.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
if you watch the video closely, he says the UI will be reused .... aka will see wp7 with n9 UI sometime in future

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Since all three operating systems are very different, it doesn't make sense to have identical hardware.

Harmattan is very much OMAP3, Windows Phone Snapdragon and Symbian is stuck with ARM11 chips.
ARM11 chips are the least expensive, followed by snapdragon and OMAP3. Dual Core chips are a lot more expensive, and are mostly advantages for multitasking, so that may be more of a tablet/pad kind of chip.
I am starting to think that one of Symbian's problems is that they haven't adequately ported it yet to ARMv7 instruction set (i.e. Cortex A8), and that is the reason Symbian is still using ARM11 chips.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ankurs View Post
if you watch the video closely, he says the UI will be reused .... aka will see wp7 with n9 UI sometime in future
Windows will be renamed as meego.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Windows will be renamed as meego.
lol , microsoft and opersource dont go hand in hand

the n9 ui is made by nokia, so they can use it on whichever platform they want & from what elop hits, its coming to wp

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
It was said multiple times that heritage of MeeGo/Maemo work at Nokia will be used everywhere else in Nokia products. We've got N900's icons reuse on Symbian first, now industrial design reuse for WP7.

For a company like Nokia it makes sense to reuse what is possible. Sometimes this causes issues for consumers who think that Symbian Anna icons on the screen mean everything underneath is also Symbian but that usually comes with the help of sensationalist journalists who can't grasp a thing.

This reuse of N9 body shell actually makes N9 case stronger -- it will be released because there is now no excuse for not reusing the same production lines, at least from operational perspective.

It will be very interesting to see if UX concepts will be swallowed by Microsoft when Nokia would try to contribute them as part of UX differentiator -- if we believe into the point that only MS is responsible for the software of WP7 platform.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Halifax
Who else thinks the British Airways app is pretty cool? Yes there's a lot of flashy unnecessary stuff to make it look better and complicated but then again who doesn't like overly flashy complicated stuff, like my n900 :P