Posts: 79 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Melbourne Australia
Im on my second n900 now, my old one had no problems with skype but my new new one does have a lot of choppiness with the audio! even before any updates to the operating system or kernel were made

This is poo man, skypes built in for god sake and it just doesn't work?? Mine on wifi does work rather well but not once on 3g and i've tried many times. Choppy as ya like. I thought about a reflash myself as i've installed and uninstalled loads from devel but an ealier post says it makes no difference. Well dissapointed. Kind of makes having skype on ya phone a bit pointless if it only works on wifi? Where's there's wifi, there's usually a pc so you end up using that instead? Grrrr

Can i ad.. i've been all over the net trying to find anything out and all it returns is "skype not working" There appears to be no solution and skype themselves don't seem to have acknowledged the problem neither. i've read a couple of posts made by people months ago in their blog section but no reply from skype. Its a joke if i'm honest. I know skype is free but i'm sure many would use their paid service if it worked? Their loss

Last edited by natedog400; 2011-03-16 at 19:54.

I've tried paul_maemo's settings for skypeaudiocodecs.conf and it doesn't work for me. I will go on testing.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moscow, Russia
Just found this thread.

Skype quality was poor on my old n900, and it is poor on new one as well.

I've noticed that pulseaudio takes quite a few of cpu time while on skype call, and also some time after call is finished. That made me to think that it may be useful to check if audio stream that pulseaudio receives from skyhost is already poor, or it is broken by pulseaudio processing. If later, that problem should be fixable.

Anyone ever managed to get pulseaudio command line plugin working with pulseaudio daemon running on n900?

is there any way to try a different codec?

any updates?

****bump****

hi All,

There is no 100% solution, but with:

final global 1.3 firmware,
apt-get install –reinstall -y kernel-power kernel-power-flasher kernel-power-modules
config tweak to use G729;
ARM CPU set to "userspace" and freq [600000]

skype is usable on my n900 now. Not perfect but works over 3g and wifi 9/10 times. I have also got iphone 3gs it seems usable on iphone too: sound quality is better but i had issues with lag and incoming calls. I've tested iphone 4 and I was well impressed by it, but not sure if i want to by another phone for skype. Sometimes n900 i3GS are also very stable, so I'm sticking with my old phones for now.

There are so many new phones and android also seems to got better with skype... Does anybody have any experience with skype on latest galaxy2, atrix, nexusS, other 4g androids ??? It is probably much easier to buy new phone then to get old phones working well... But i'm struglling to find any info about actually living with skype every day... especially about how they handle week signal, incoming calls, etc.

hi could you post a step by step guide?

any new solution ? non of this tweaks worked....mayby some from community have some ideas?

va ofera laptopuri ieftine din clasa business la cele mai mici preturi. Laptopurile business class sunt construite din componente de cea mai buna calitate garantand astfel o functionalitate de lunga durata.