Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So you think the sales (or lack thereof) was due to marketing only? Marketing in what areas/markets?
Strictly speaking that part is advertising. In order for Nokia to truly "market" the Maemo/meego as a product they need to:
- educate their own developer staff (non-meego)
- educate marketing
- educate people who actually "sell" the product
- educate consumers.
That is a chain reaction, and it takes time to produce the results, while competition is also make moves.

That is much more difficult than adopting "ad-hoc-we-are-borg-resistance-is-futile" alliance/merger with M$, since everybody knows (all above categories and little children), that Microsoft is todays most dominant OS vendor for consumer oriented operating systems.

So you think the sales (or lack thereof) was due to marketing only? Marketing in what areas/markets?
Not exactly,
There was nothing to market, the N900 is more of a devkit and not suited for the masses.
Texrat said "high return rate", no wonder.
So it was lack of marketing and a complicated device. People get angry when some shortcut gets deleted and they don't know how to bring it back.
Or some package that fills the rootfs.

But if it had the dumbed down UI - like that of the N9, then comes marketing.
Where to market ? I don't know, I'm no expert.
I'd say wherever an iphone can be found the N9 has a place. Just a guess.
You must have marketing, people won't chase you to buy your stuff.

edit:
When I say marketing I mean mostly adverts on media. Of course you employ proper strategy here and react to competitors and surely you don't announce that a more lucrative product is coming soon after the one you are trying to sell...

Last edited by uppercase; 2011-06-26 at 22:25.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by uppercase View Post
There was nothing to market, the N900 is more of a devkit and not suited for the masses.
Then how would you market the N9?

So it was lack of marketing and a complicated device.
Lack of marketing... where?

But if it had the dumbed down UI - like that of the N9, then comes marketing.
So Harmattan is dumbed down? How so?

Where to market ? I don't know, I'm no expert.
But you're a consumer of sorts.

I'd say wherever an iphone can be found the N9 has a place. Just a guess.
You must have marketing, people won't chase you to buy your stuff.
So what would exactly be marketed?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
So what would exactly be marketed?
Platform is marketed.
Devices are advertised.

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Platform is marketed.
Devices are advertised.
Semantics. Really?

Marketing: The action or business of promoting and selling products or services.

Advertising: The activity or profession of producing advertisements for commercial products or services.

Both deal with products or services. The rest, fluff. Either you have something to sell or you do not. So the question remains... what will Nokia sell around the N9?

Just a phone?

gerbick@
I guess my lack of native english is showing, when I say marketing I meant advertising.

As for you question, like I said, if it's good enough, nothing need to be sold around it.
"just a phone" ? No, a dumbphone is just a phone, this is more of a computer don't you think ? for a simple user ?

edit:
Wow I have so many typos here, you have no idea how hard it is to present a coherent argument with a vocabulary of an eight year old

Last edited by uppercase; 2011-06-26 at 23:04.

Originally Posted by uppercase View Post
gerbick@
I guess my lack of native english is showing, when I say marketing I meant advertising.
You're doing well. What's your native tongue?

As for you question, like I said, if it's good enough, nothing need to be sold around it.
Then you're having to compete against phones that sell for 5 times lesser if not less. You have to have compelling reasons to purchase an expensive phone.

You're doing well. What's your native tongue?
Thanks, I speak hebrew. Two people are smart enough and know enough hebrew to put it on the N900: matan and MAG. Now where would I be without those two ? what if they hadn't got this phone ? how would I write a document or an email ? See how fragile my world is...

Then you're having to compete against phones that sell for 5 times lesser if not less. You have to have compelling reasons to purchase an expensive phone.
N900 went for 350usd until two month ago. N9 price should behave the same, so it's not five times anything but the dumbest of dumbphones. It will still cost more then some competitor and that is where advertising come into play.
You just need to make sure the client is happy after the purchase. You can do that with services on an inferior product or with just-works-play-view-anything superior one.
A geeky complicated phone will foul all your advertising effort.

Wow. I've been rendered speechless because you actually think that advertising is remotely for you.

It's not. Oh well, how about this. Let's let Nokia stay the course, advertise as much as they had with the N900 and let's see how well it does.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
An ecosystem in phone-context means a self sustained market for commerce where all levels and all needed units exist to sustain it. That is why it is called ecosystem - a self sustained system. The goal is not the system itself, but the end user. The end user must feel that the ecosystem increases the value of the phone, and therefore he is willing to pay, and thus contributes sustaining the system and making it grow. A big mall with stores, cafees, restaurants and so on. An ecosystem needs consumers.
Hmmm no, I don't think the term 'ecosystem' in smartphone context points to an exclusively commercial 'market for commerce'.

What's stopping a FOSS-compatible ecosystem to coexist with other ecosystems that are available for said device?

You can have community run contentRepo with distribution channels, which would serve as the hub to connect FOSS developers or free/open-licensed content creators with their endusers and this will be a self sustaining cycle on its own.

Note that I never advocated nor suggested an exclusively FOSS 'ecosystem' for said platform/device.

A FOSS ecosystem tends to become only about building the system, building the core structure in an atmosphere were most of the consumers also are the producers. It is self sustained and all, but never gets polished enough to attract paying customers. For the average user it is a half finished and empty mall where no one understands the meaning of the word service. Such a system is OK for developers, but totally uninteresting for consumers.
That has been the existing model, because there was no appStore and *nix devices were not that accessible to the endusers.

I believe if a FOSS-repo (with appstore-like frontend to communicate and 'inform' the endusers) is tacked on to one of the smartphone ecosystem (android or MeeGo), then it can thrive because they're currently getting a lot of public attention.

It's one of the prime motivator for non commercial developers.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!