Active Topics

if the sea ray does have a dual core and the works. I hope its hacked and maemo or meego is installed.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Elop is the king. Everything he does is the right way. In fact I think he doing such a great job. Why not change the name of nokia to something like...ELOP.

Oh Elop rules

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
wii sold more and was more expensive than 360 for a while.
In what market? Always been cheaper in North America, borderline more expensive in Japan.

and ps3 its SELLING more now and its more expensive than 360
Selling more doesn't equate to sold most. PS3 has 50 million sales world wide. XBOX 360 has 55 million (didn't know it was that close). Wii has sold 86 million worldwide.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Everything except all user aspects. N9 have Better video, better foto, better UI, better multitasking, better sound, better reception etc etc - and - N9 is much much cooler.
I've owned the SGS2 for a few weeks before I sold it. I also tried the N9 shortly as you all know. Now I'm more of a fan of N9 than the SGS2 as you all probably can guess as well.

But I can say that SGS2 has better video. (720p and 1080p @ 30fps) UI is subjective. N9 has no widgets, no live wallpaper, no custom launchers (not yet anyways) etc. Pretty much all my friends reckon Android has better UI than N9. (I don't however. =P) SGS2 is a beast. Not pretty but it's powerful supported by tons of apps. (Yes, it might have 100000 fart apps but it does have 1000+ excellent quality apps/games as well)

N9 has better multitasking for sure! Better sound? I haven't tested it myself so not sure about this. Better reception, most likely. Nokia always wins here. Cooler? Maybe to some. Some reckon having best internal hardware and huge SAMOLED+ is way cooler. Seriously though. As much as how I love the N9, I just wish it did have better SoC and HDMI out. It would have future proof'ed it more and everything would have been that little faster. (HDMI means I could hook it up to my PC monitor to watch videos etc. But just like the N900, I still can't do that with N9 2 years later! Grrr.)

Still, I am more excited about the N9 much more than I ever did with SGS2. Weird. But just am.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
if the sea ray does have a dual core and the works. I hope its hacked and maemo or meego is installed.
faster processor just allows lazier programmers. u wont utilize the power of all those cores, on the contrary, just make the battery life shorter.

Last edited by turbowei; 2011-06-26 at 23:01.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turbowei For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
In what market? Always been cheaper in North America, borderline more expensive in Japan.

Selling more doesn't equate to sold most. PS3 has 50 million sales world wide. XBOX 360 has 55 million (didn't know it was that close). Wii has sold 86 million worldwide.
Now that's just plain wrong, sorry. The 360 was even $100 cheaper than the wii at one point.
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Price_cuts#Xbox_360
there is the pricecut history, not sure what point you are still trying to make either; That they should lose even more money to brag about being 'on top' or maybe go lower spec next time?

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
That will hardly happen - while there was a speculation that WP7 Mango will support dual-core processors, Microsoft have been quite shy about it and on several occasions they've claimed that the support will come in the future, so probably no Mango dual-core support.

Sure, they could shoe-horn a Snapdragon MSM8660 into the device (WP7 supports the interface) and use the spec-sheet for marketing but WP7 would not be utilizing the second core, nor will 3rd party apps given that there is absolutely no HW-layer/native access for 3rd party developers (even more restricted than the iOS) - and the only difference is that the battery will suffer as Snapdragon has no dual-voltage control to kill completely one core if not used.

Given that Nokia at least have some reputation to produce quite battery friendly devices, I seriously doubt they'll go for such a step just to `win` on the spec-sheet. So I wouldn't expect it if I were in your place.

... recompiling, rebuilding and obtaining the needed drivers for that specific hardware in order to run Maemo/MeeGo on it would be a whole different matter, one that may not ever happen if Nokia themselves don't jump in...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
All things aside, while I've seen occasionally a PS3 or XBOX (I guess I don't run in the gaming circles), I have never seen a Wii at someone's place. I find it mind-boggling that such a staggering number of Wii devices was sold and I don't know how to explain it

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Not pretty but it's powerful supported by tons of apps. (Yes, it might have 100000 fart apps but it does have 1000+ excellent quality apps/games as well)
The apps story is, IMHO, pretty much overblown. I have yet to find something I need that I cannot do on my N900 (natively or via an available app) that I could do on my Galaxy S with all the available hundreds of thousands of apps. The opposite was, however, true on many occasions. YMMV.

What are those 1000+ excellent quality apps/games that I've missed while stepping in the Android waters? Especially the ones that provide a functionality that one cannot do on a N900? I honestly want to know, I might take some time to create a Qt equivalent of such an app for the MeeGo coding competition and possibly earn me an N950

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by turbowei View Post
faster processor just allows lazier programmers. u wont utilize the power of all those cores, on the contrary, just make the battery life shorter.
Faster processors do not mean it uses more battery. In recent times, it is actually the opposite. Older slower CPUs use more power/battery than the newer faster more efficient CPUs. (eg. Current dual/quad core CPUs use less power than older single core CPUs) Faster processor doesn't just mean lazier programmers. So you are saying all the new programmers are more lazy now compared to few years ago?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Which market? And what kit?

When the XBOX 360 Arcade hit 200, the Wii was already at 150 USD.

If you mean in Europe, I have no clue what your prices were there - y'all got fleeced.

I guess since you've somehow overlooked every thing I've said so far; let me say it simpler. The N9 will be marketed to consumers if the plan goes forward as we've known it for the last 2+ years. If it's sold to consumers first and foremost, how will they market it? It has Linux? Didn't work for the N900. It has Comes With Music? Oh... that's real ****ing dead right now.

And if they sell it as a "phone" only, then you run into the same dilemma as what hounded the N900. Hackers, developers and geeks do not make for a blockbuster product or sales. So how will it be advertised?

And at what price? If it's at $749 USD for the 32gb version, then let's be honest. That's way too damn high.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Faster processors do not mean it uses more battery. In recent times, it is actually the opposite. Older slower CPUs use more power/battery than the newer faster more efficient CPUs. (eg. Current dual/quad core CPUs use less power than older single core CPUs) Faster processor doesn't just mean lazier programmers. So you are saying all the new programmers are more lazy now compared to few years ago?
Actually, they do - when we are talking about the same architecture, branching design and so on, by the shear laws of physics, a faster processor will eat more juice. Further, two cores will eat more than one core if there is no low-level power management implemented on the CPU itself (within the branching/threading control) to kill the core(s) that is not used - at best it will eat idle_power * number of cores-1 more power than a single core CPU.

But... there is always one but - as CPU architecture advances allowing less branching and more optimized power management (including dynamic core shut-down when needed), and what's more important - as the technology moves from 90nm, to 45nm, to 35nm, to 25nm, to... you need to push far less electrons for the same result, so we are managing to get faster and faster CPUs that on average use the same or even less power.

However, when taking in the consideration the same architecture and production process, single-core will always use less power than multi-core, even if there is core-shutdown management implemented (not on many mobile/embedded chipsets).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????