Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by uppercase View Post
...my point is that people don't put so many apps on desktops, hence, they don't need them on their phones - if said phone is as strong as the desktop.
.... what exactly is your point?

1. People don't put apps on desktops because they're in folders and pulldown/up menus called 'Apps'?

2. 'people don't need them on their phones', because phones are used in exactly the same way, situation and manner as desktops?

uh, no.

English isn't my first language either and I think our linguistic skills are comparable; so I don't think that's a valid excuse to be vague here

The other point was that the ecosystem is being paid for in many ways, the phone maker doesn't need to set up anything. So if, say, Netflix want my money, they will make the app not Nokia. They will store the package, the installation faq etc. like it's being done with desktops.
Sure, but if you want your ecosystem to be included (and has a chance to be used) in 100% of those devices, then it has to be preinstalled on the device by the maker.

Otherwise you will have to face an uphill battle to advertise and recruit the customers to board your ecosystem.

That is noble thinking but most users do not want to be educated, the only way to make them use FOSS is to push it down their throat.
You've missed the point, please reread.

If a FOSS ecosystem is already preinstalled on said device (say, the N9) which the users can easily access, then we can bombard them with messages and 'public service announcements' when they browse the repositories and grab packages off it.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
English isn't my first language
What is your first language, if you don't mind me asking?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
As compared to what? Just curious.

As far as ecosystems go, what's the full scope of the Nokia, formerly OVI ecosystem now? Comes with Music? N-Gage? E-mail by Yahoo? Videos by whom?
videos from torrents side of courses.

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Weren't you asking for a halt in the hyperbole?
Alright my bad - I will amend my statement then

"N900 has to pirate _good_ 3D games from another platform"

... and please dont give me that bit about buying a used palm to purchase the games legitimately. If you believe a substantial portion people were are really doing that I have a bridge to sell you in Sydney.

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
whats in there for N900 ?

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Alright my bad - I will amend my statement then

"N900 has to pirate _good_ 3D games from another platform"

... and please dont give me that bit about buying a used palm to purchase the games legitimately. If you believe a substantial portion people were are really doing that I have a bridge to sell you in Sydney.
and it runs them better than WP7 version xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvqf1z5D1Bg
way faster.

this why i laugh when people say wp7 is fast.
maemo/linux its faster with tons of stuff running , and even video and keep video playing while changing multitask video also no meego.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi

There are many reasons why the N900 didn't sell as well as phone_name[1], ovi support isn't a major one.
Marketing is far more important than specs/support/ecosystem. You're not selling sewage pumps here.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Then what were the reasons?
In my country end of 2009 Nokia resellers would tell me that N97 was the hippest latest and greatest from Nokia while the usual well informed webshops would only feature backorders.
Was this on purpose? If anybody would have accidentally purchased the N900 over the N97, it would not have harmed Nokia, would it? Somebody failed to spread the word at least.

Now its different , the shops seem to know the N9 (as in not available yet) but Nokia has elopped 2 days later that the greatest and latest will be N9 with WP7.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2011-06-27 at 07:49. Reason: Context

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
What is your first language, if you don't mind me asking?
hmmm.. you're not accepting pm's...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
IMO, there are 3 kind of behaviours the platforms have.
Number 1: Establish a friendship between the developers and the platform by holding developer conferences, welcoming them and giving them new tools and tutorials(Linux and Apple.)

Number 2:Establish a rivaly between the developers and the platform by developing lots of softwares for their own platform, eating the developers' launch and advertising it(Microsoft.)

Number 3, in which I call it an innovative way of reaction, which will cause lots of savings, is the Nokia's. They leave the platform after developing it to be burned in lack of productivity, or be rescued by the fanatics.
I guess you might be italian.

Just a guess.

Last edited by govprog; 2011-06-27 at 08:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to govprog For This Useful Post:
Well he is not french like you