Active Topics

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
everybody got way off topic.

alien dalvik, N9

or more importantly android apps on n9.

yes/no/limited?

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Nokia Will certainly not buy it, so that leaves developers to choose this method to port their Android apps to Meego. If it is cheaper than porting it to MeeGo and if the app has a high demand and not available otherwise, then probably the said app will be ported this way. That still does not mean any Android app will run on N9, just this one. So I guess it is meaningless to discuss further, Noki a wont buy it, and even if a dev does, it will bring that one app to N9 not all Android apps.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Any chance that Alien Dalvik can be done in a Qt-like dual license model? It would be mutually beneficial to both the framework and the open source application developers. Alien would get easy exposure and a broader audience (thus, free advertising, and, finally, profit), and app developers get more platforms. Users would love it

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Palo Alto, CA
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
As I wrote before, at this point Nokia view Android as a mayor competition; therefore they want nothing to do with it, they have WP7. Since WP7 apps wont run on meego, why should Adroid apps? Besides if running Android apps is a mayor feature, you have to provide a way to your users to buy those apps. I seriously doubt Google would let N9 into Android market. So while it is certanly possible to run android apps on N9 I see no reason why Nokia would invest into buying the technology (if not to shut down the project before it hurts their own interest: WP7).
Sorry, it is a bit more complicated than that. There is some evidence that Alien Dalvik could be violating some of Google's copyrights, and I don't think that Nokia is willing to get in a legal dispute with Google over it. I am sure most of you remember about Palm vs. Apple on iTunes support for the Palm Pre ..

The Following User Says Thank You to jolo For This Useful Post:

Tags
damned lies, dukenukem4eva, flying pigs, n9 = ugly, vapourware