Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by volt View Post
it's the next billion; nokia brings internet (= series 40) to the next billion.
Typo. I was wondering if that is IT? The next billion touted by Nokia. I mean, it's not too impressive.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Typo. I was wondering if that is IT? The next billion touted by Nokia. I mean, it's not too impressive.
a billion new customers would not be impressive?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Fire the man immediately! A CEO's only job is to create shareholder value,empower staff and make a profit. If the N9 is so hot, Nokia should relase in all markets. If by accident Nokia has made a novel and appealing device that people actually want, it is insane not to move it to the top of the priority list. Let it become the aspirational device that people want-need.

N770, N810, N900, N97, N85, E71, 5800xm, iPhone(retired)
AT&T & T-Mobile

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MaemoCurmudgeon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I think it's part of it, not the whole strategy. Isn't part of it Qt going to S40 as well? the new C2 phones will have maps and turn by turn navigation - on a featurephone.

The idea is to bring the S40 one step up to overcome the competition. I would prefer making the S60 to run on the lower-end but what do I know?

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Arendal, Norway
Unless there is some super-smart plan unfolding now, I'd guess that the one standing on the burning platform is Elop himself.

Since he took on the job as CEO the stock has roughly shrunk to half the price, and the curve has been steady downwards since that.

On top of that, add all his not-so-consistent roadmap for the future that he's been slaloming through lately.

If the market ditches the WP phones and the media continues to scream for Meego-devices, I'd say he'd better prepare to jump. I'm not so certain that the board and/or shareholders are happy with present business.

Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
I think it's part of it, not the whole strategy. Isn't part of it Qt going to S40 as well? the new C2 phones will have maps and turn by turn navigation - on a featurephone.

The idea is to bring the S40 one step up to overcome the competition. I would prefer making the S60 to run on the lower-end but what do I know?
symbian was being killed and badmouthed by it CEO.
it got not change of getting backup

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It would be, if it ever happened. I suspect "next billion" is more wishful thinking and marketing spin than anything resembling reality.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Nokia has gone from a company where you thought your input welcome (and it wasn't but you didn't know it) to a company where your input isn't welcome and you know it.
Deep bold voice while playing this in the background would have been better, for current TMO especially N9 related topic lurkers.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Web apps on the S40 isn't exactly impressive when Samsung can deliver genuine smartphones running Bada for the same price and less.

Somebody heard anything new about richard green? The timing of his "medical leave" seems to indicate he wanted to stay until meego is finished and then wait for nokia to make up its mind.

Tags
elopcalypse, elopocalypse, insanity, makesnosense, trojan