Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2006 @ Paris, FRANCE
1. I didn't up to now (no bluetooth/GPRS phone so free wifi only - good enough), but I just purchased a new phone to extend possibilities
2. Nokia 6086 (139 euros including a prepaid card of 4.5 euros with SIM + phone number)
3. Connection was really simple.
4. Orange
5. "mobicarte" + "option surf": prepaid so no hidden costs. 10 euros / month for unlimited port 80 and all ports with a hack (same situation as FPP) + 5-6 minutes of outgoing voice calls (incoming calls are free for the receiver in France).

Last edited by guerby; 2007-12-02 at 21:23.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
1. Do you use your Internet Tablet with your phone for Internet access?

only when no wiFi available

2. What kind of phone do you have?

Nokia N76

3. Was it easy to get working?

Yes

4. Who is your service provider?

SFR (France)

5. How affordable is your data plan?

SFR la Carte (pre-paid). 20 euros / month (with access 3G Vodafone live)

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
1. Yes, as possible
2. Nokia 2630 (slim and powerful)
3. Simpliest
4. Megaphone
5. $0.25 = 1 meg.

Originally Posted by schroncd View Post
1. Regularly when no free wifi
2. Moto Razr V3
3. Connection was very simple
4. Sprint
5. US $39.99 Unlimited Tethered Modem plan - also use it for my laptop
6.Moto Razr not the greatest battery life, but acceptable - Sprint 3g access available in most med to large US markets - very fast
Same here....

I got the "bigger" battery, which adds a nice lump to the back of the phone, but greatly improves the battery life...

Cheers!

Originally Posted by jeffreytz View Post
Yes, every day at work as most interesting sites (and my yahoo email) are blocked by our company filters

Palm Treo 700p

Yes, paired first try via N800 wizard (both OS2007 & OS2008 beta)

Sprint PCS

Very (IMO) $15/month unlimited access

6. What else should users know about that phone/provider/plan?
You need to load a simple tiny library patch to enable the phone as a modem, otherwise you have to pay Sprint an additional $49/month for a phone as modem plan.
What jeffreytz said
(I use Sprint PCS/Treo 700P too)

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Francisco
1. Yes, with both my Nokia N810 and Asus 701 (Eee)
2. Present: Sony Ericsson K850i (tri-band HSDPA/quad-band EDGE) - Past: Nokia N95 (original) - Future: Nokia N95-3 (US version)
3. Yes, just pair and go
4. AT&T/T-Mobile
5. I have the $20 unlimited AT&T MEdia Net data plan and the $20 unlimited T-Mobile Total Internet data plan (includes T-Mobile WiFi)
6. Looking forward to T-Mobile's 3G service (and devices) since it's my primary provider - AT&T's coverage is great (and supports 3G) but customer service is poor

Last edited by tnkgrl; 2007-12-03 at 21:41.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA

Not a lot, but sometimes. Mostly I'm only away from work/home wifi while driving, so my tablet and phone are in my jacket breast pocket. But there have been a couple cases where I've used my phone for tethering.

Right now: nokia 2865i
Soon: Kyocera Strobe or Samsung SCH-R410 (if it has DUN)
Further out: Might get a Cradepoint with Sprint SERO, or T-Mobile if they go 3G real soon.

The 2865i is easy peasy. But you always have to approve it whenever you start a data call. The Kyocera Strobe (tested on my wife's) is mostly easy, and doesn't require per-session approval.

MetroPCS. See below about why I might switch.

Web is a $5 add-on for unlimited access to port 443 (https). Along with unlimited talk minutes for only $35.

Using their HTTP proxy hasn't worked for me at all. Setting up a tunnel proved to be a hassle (have to SSH first, didn't work on one of my machines, etc.). If everything on Maemo had SOCKS 5 support, or at least the web browser, it would be MUCH better (SOCKS 5 to OpenSSH to the world). But that's not the case. Even OS 2008's microb makes SOCKS difficult. And support for password protected proxies is a real must.

That, plus the fact that the 2865i, Strobe (and I think the R410) are all 1x and not EVDO, are reasons why I'm thinking I want a separate data service for my N800/N810, instead of piggybacking it on my voice/TXT service.

So, I'm looking at a more dedicated data service/device. Like a phone I can just use as a tether (with T-mobile: best unlimited internet with tethering rate I've found), or a cradlepoint mobile-router/personal-hot-spot with a USB dongle. Then I can have MetroPCS for my unlimited talk&TXT, with my N800/N810 on a real mobile internet feed.

My main hesitation is ... signing up for a 2 year contract within the next month or two without knowing what exactly the coming year will bring for the NIT family. WiMAX in my area? Rumor of a 3G GSM version? So I might wait until the middle of the year to actually move away from MetroPCS for my data feed. Especially since I don't really seem to have a driving need for the data feed at the moment.

Last edited by johnkzin; 2007-12-03 at 21:13.

Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
I created this post to ask readers which phone they used. My answers are there and the questions are as follows:

Especially with the holidays approaching - it's a good time to talk gadgets.
1. Yes
2. Samsung M619
3. Not too bad, but for some reason, when I established bluetooth connection, phone would keep freezing up. Had to do try this about 5-7 times, before bluetooth profile was stable on phone.
4. Sprint PCS
5. I was paying $20/mon for Sprint Vision, however, it wouldn't work for DUN. I had to upgrade to $40/mon for unlimited data to use my phone as a modem. I am getting a blackberry for work, though, and will be getting my data with that device. I'll post an update then.
6. See below:

I have a question for anyone out there using Sprint, or may have run into this problem from other carriers. I have been trying to get the video IM client to work over Sprint's network to video conference with my PC using GoggleTalk. However, every time it establishes a connection, my phone (modem) cuts out. It does not do this when I am simply in a chat session, on the internet with flash video, etc., so I do not know if Sprint has purposely block video chat traffic on their network. If any one has any info about this or if any one else
has run into this problem, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Thanks!

Sorry, I mistyped before... should be Samsung M610 phone.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany

Yes

I used a Nokia 6630 at first, then a Nokia N80. I had the N80 firmware updated to N80i (internet edition lately).

Trivial.

Vodafone Germany.

I started with 30MB for 10€/months, and went to 200MB for 20€/month. This comes in addition to the voice plan.

What users should know is that using data abroad (roaming) can be insanely expensive. Really. 40€ per megabyte. Yes, that is MEGA.

OTOH, I can't say much about data plans that wouldn't be very German-specific. There are seemingly better deals, for example Base (which uses the E+ network) has a flatrate for 25€/month. The catch appears to be that they force you to use a proxy that recompresses everything, and that you may find out that the load on their network is sometimes, or at places, so high that it is not usable.