Posts: 100 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ india
couple of days ago my n900 slide lock stopped working
phone was under warranty so gave it for repar
Nokia called back saying the phone has been stopped and they cant fix it instead they will give me an N8

any thoughts

The Following User Says Thank You to dhanurdhar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by dhanurdhar View Post
couple of days ago my n900 slide lock stopped working
phone was under warranty so gave it for repar
Nokia called back saying the phone has been stopped and they cant fix it instead they will give me an N8

any thoughts
If you've been using your N900 for more than a couple of months here is what you might expect:
  • Where's the keyboard?
  • Where's the rest of that web page?
  • Where's the terminal?
  • Where's the fourth desktop?
  • Why am I being told Conversations can't open because there is not enough memory when the only thing running is the F-Secure app?
  • Why didn't the N900 battery last this long between charges when I was using it lightly?
  • Integrated MMS! Wow, that cool.
  • These photos rock.
  • How did they get everything to work in Ovi Suite?
  • How come it is so hard to get exactly the item I want clicked?
  • Wow, this is a skinny phone even with the camera bump.
  • Is it actually possible to go without a screen protector with the gorilla glass?
  • Look, Ma, I got to my microSD without removing the battery cover.
Take the N8, sell it on eBay, buy two N900s. That way you are covered. Or, try to talk them into an E7, which has a keyboard. Then you can sell the E7 if you don't like it.

I own both an N8 and an N900. I took them both on a two and a half week trip. If the N8 didn't take such great photos I would have shipped back home so as to not have to carry it.

It was frustrating to use because of out of memory issues and non-interchangeable battery issues. It had the nasty habit of not lasting until I got back to the hotel leaving me to guess my way about cities I had never been to before in a country where I did not speak the language. Relied more on the wife's 5800 Xpressmusic for navigation after 4 pm than I did the N8.

I have a back-up N900, using now while my primary is in the shop for USB replacement. I would not even consider the N8 as being so integral to what I do with a phone that I would need a backup. If the N8 quits I'll get out my N78 until I see something I want.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
The N8 is the best multimedia phone and camera phone in the world. I own the N900, N8, HTC G2, Nokia C7 Astound and Nokia 5230 Nuron.

With the N8, you will have more powerful hardware, greater access to 3rd party apps and games. support.

Symbian3 has planned support until 2016 and that is more support than we get with our N900. The newest updat Symbian Anna, aka pr2.0 is due in late July/August

Now, Symbian is the most feature rich Smartphone OS. You may actually need to read the manual. With that said, it is a step down from a mobile computer and is not open as far as application creation and OS mods. You can mod it though.

If you just absolutely don't need 12MP Of Xenon camera awesomeness, I would let Nokia know that you NEED a hardware KB and have them send you the E7, that is, if you need the KB.

The only thing that compares to Maemo is Meego Harmattan. Go to the N8 with the right expectations. It ISN'T a hacker mobile computer, it is a full featured smartphone with great apps, video, pics, navigation and premium build. It does some things better than on the N900 while other things can only be done via Maemo/linux.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
It greatly depends what you were doing with your N900 prior to it breaking.

If your use of N900 revolved around Angry Birds, web browsing and comparing it to your buddies iPhone, the N8 will probably do just fine.

On the other hand, if you were planning on developing apps, or you came to the realization life is not worth living without full Java through Easy Debian, Android market via NITDroid, overclocking through titan's power kernel(s), t-mobile's ipv6 beta test, SSH'ing, packet injection and WiFi cracking via Aircrack, the list is looong... need I say, buy a new N900?

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
If you've been using your N900 for more than a couple of months here is what you might expect:
  • Where's the keyboard?
  • Where's the rest of that web page?
  • Where's the terminal?
  • Where's the fourth desktop?
  • Why am I being told Conversations can't open because there is not enough memory when the only thing running is the F-Secure app?
  • Why didn't the N900 battery last this long between charges when I was using it lightly?
  • Integrated MMS! Wow, that cool.
  • These photos rock.
  • How did they get everything to work in Ovi Suite?
  • How come it is so hard to get exactly the item I want clicked?
  • Wow, this is a skinny phone even with the camera bump.
  • Is it actually possible to go without a screen protector with the gorilla glass?
  • Look, Ma, I got to my microSD without removing the battery cover.
Take the N8, sell it on eBay, buy two N900s. That way you are covered. Or, try to talk them into an E7, which has a keyboard. Then you can sell the E7 if you don't like it.

I own both an N8 and an N900. I took them both on a two and a half week trip. If the N8 didn't take such great photos I would have shipped back home so as to not have to carry it.

It was frustrating to use because of out of memory issues and non-interchangeable battery issues. It had the nasty habit of not lasting until I got back to the hotel leaving me to guess my way about cities I had never been to before in a country where I did not speak the language. Relied more on the wife's 5800 Xpressmusic for navigation after 4 pm than I did the N8.

I have a back-up N900, using now while my primary is in the shop for USB replacement. I would not even consider the N8 as being so integral to what I do with a phone that I would need a backup. If the N8 quits I'll get out my N78 until I see something I want.
Out of memory issues? You must have been doing something wrong. The only time I have seen out of memory issues is when I had too many apps open OR one or two that took up way too much ram. Symbian handles ram diferrently than maemo. Maemo will run apps until you lock up the phone, never telling you that your are out of memory. Symbian tells you before you slowdown the the phone using ram hogging apps or just forgetting to close apps.

Simple to fix. close app that is hogging resources. Usually web browsers and system affecting apps are the ram hogs. The out of memory experience varies from user to user and app to app. Please dont make it seem like an OS issue and have him assume he will be getting out of memory errors left and right.

Ive had 3 out of memory errors since Dec2010 and it was because of poor app management. I knew I was going to run out of ram. I just closed the offending app, Opera Mobile at the time, and kept playing Need for speed shift.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Yesterday I was in a Nokia care center in Hanoi for defect N8 charger and I noticed a 2010 Nokia N900 the laptop that fits your hand promotion folder.
I asked if I could buy that device and the price.
Not here, we only do support.
Then I asked for an adress to purchase it.
According to the woman helping me the Nokia care center computer replied it was no longer sold but still supported.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Deaconclgi View Post
Out of memory issues? You must have been doing something wrong. The only time I have seen out of memory issues is when I had too many apps open OR one or two that took up way too much ram. Symbian handles ram diferrently than maemo. Maemo will run apps until you lock up the phone, never telling you that your are out of memory. Symbian tells you before you slowdown the the phone using ram hogging apps or just forgetting to close apps.

Simple to fix. close app that is hogging resources. Usually web browsers and system affecting apps are the ram hogs. The out of memory experience varies from user to user and app to app. Please dont make it seem like an OS issue and have him assume he will be getting out of memory errors left and right.

Ive had 3 out of memory errors since Dec2010 and it was because of poor app management. I knew I was going to run out of ram. I just closed the offending app, Opera Mobile at the time, and kept playing Need for speed shift.
Yeah, I'm doing something wrong. It ain't the phone or the OS. Don't even know why they have an out of memory message in the OS.

Here's the drill
  • Get SMS notification
  • Tap on icon to open
  • Get out of memory, close some applications message
  • Option|Open applications - close everything in sight, usually F-Secure and the menu are the only things open
  • Tap on icon to open SMS
  • Get out of memory message
  • Shut down phone and re-start it
  • Tap on icon and actually get to read the SMS.
It is obviously me.

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by Deaconclgi View Post
The N8 is the best multimedia phone and camera phone in the world. I own the N900, N8, HTC G2, Nokia C7 Astound and Nokia 5230 Nuron.

With the N8, you will have more powerful hardware, greater access to 3rd party apps and games. support.

Symbian3 has planned support until 2016 and that is more support than we get with our N900. The newest updat Symbian Anna, aka pr2.0 is due in late July/August

Now, Symbian is the most feature rich Smartphone OS. You may actually need to read the manual. With that said, it is a step down from a mobile computer and is not open as far as application creation and OS mods. You can mod it though.

If you just absolutely don't need 12MP Of Xenon camera awesomeness, I would let Nokia know that you NEED a hardware KB and have them send you the E7, that is, if you need the KB.

The only thing that compares to Maemo is Meego Harmattan. Go to the N8 with the right expectations. It ISN'T a hacker mobile computer, it is a full featured smartphone with great apps, video, pics, navigation and premium build. It does some things better than on the N900 while other things can only be done via Maemo/linux.
The N8 is buggy piece of garbage.

Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
Yeah, I'm doing something wrong. It ain't the phone or the OS. Don't even know why they have an out of memory message in the OS.

Here's the drill
  • Get SMS notification
  • Tap on icon to open
  • Get out of memory, close some applications message
  • Option|Open applications - close everything in sight, usually F-Secure and the menu are the only things open
  • Tap on icon to open SMS
  • Get out of memory message
  • Shut down phone and re-start it
  • Tap on icon and actually get to read the SMS.
It is obviously me.
I apologize for stating it like that. With what you said, the issue seems to be your N8 specifically because that behavior is not typical of the N8 or the Symbian3 platform.

I HIGHLY suggest sending your N8 in for a warranty replacement due to memory failure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Deaconclgi For This Useful Post:
Actually.. theres one thing that says it all from his usage:
"Why am I being told Conversations can't open because there is not enough memory when the only thing running is the F-Secure app?"

FSecure.. hahaha.. WTF would you put Antivirus on a phone in the first place? This is ultimately why you are running out of memory since there are NO AV software that does not memory leak (bold but truthful statement). It is loaded all the time in memory and constantly using CPU for scanning when you are using it. This decreases your battery life as well. Considering there are no true or real Viruses on Symbian, like why would you need it?

Seriously though - I own a whole range of devices (N900 included) and every time I come back to the N8 as being the best all-round phone. I have never had any out of memory issues (really depends on HOW you install the apps and what widgets you end up doing).

I went on a week road trip too with both devices and I have been happy with them as they perform totally different functions -

N8: Camera, MP3 player, Navigation, Phone / SMS, games
N900: Internet, IM, ebook reader, emails etc

Between the two N8 had way more battery life (since I relied heavily on external battery unit for the N900) and the photos/videos from N8 were excellent (arguably as good as my SLR under sunny conditions). The N900 photos were dull, lacked colour vibrance and very noisy in comparison.

I love my N8 as a phone. I love my N900 as a portable Linux computer (but hate it as a phone)