Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
Just did my first restore today and everything worked fine. Sadly it was same state as before
In detail: several weeks ago the device started to behave strange. No Version information (just a lot of ?), backup no more to internal memory only to sd card and now it won't open my IMAP inbox anymore (all other folder work well, only inbox doesn't react). so I thought it might be a problem with filesystem and some broken anything. But at least backup and restore didn't do anything better. So now I'm gonna prepare for a full reflash. Damn, that's gonna be a lot of work to get it personalized again
Reformat the OptFS, then restore the backup. This issue's probably due to the OptFS being corrupt. I solved it myself by formatting the Optfs(over Backupmenu's USB mass storage mode) from a Ubuntu PC, then restoring a recent OptFS backup. You'll want to restore both optfs and rootfs at that time.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
Just a thought...would it be possible to get backup menu to only fire up when a certain key is held down? Like perhaps, 'b'?

I tend to leave my phone with the keyboard out and if it reboots, it's more likely I'll want the desktop than backupmenu.
Yes. But this requires modifying either bootmenu.sh OR /sbin/preinit.

bootmenu.sh should be safer to modify, albeit it might be more complicated. /sbin/preinit has the relevant code down on line 351 (I think. My /sbin/preinit is already modified to include a full shell at boot, so I have to subtract the number of lines I added from the total).

Basically, where /sbin/preinit checks if the keyboard is open, you can use a program (evkey I think will do it, but it's not preinstalled by default on the N900... though it might be included with the bootmenu package, and I don't know how to use it) to put another if-then-else check inside that one, so if-keyboard-open>if-B-key-pressed>run bootmenu.sh would be the basic logic of it...

Alternatively, you can modify /bootmenu.sh to wrap the entire script in an if-then statement - if B-key pressed, then (original bootmenu script contents); else nothing.

Both are changes that should be doable on-device if you know what you're doing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Reformat the OptFS, then restore the backup. This issue's probably due to the OptFS being corrupt. I solved it myself by formatting the Optfs(over Backupmenu's USB mass storage mode) from a Ubuntu PC, then restoring a recent OptFS backup. You'll want to restore both optfs and rootfs at that time.
Thanks for the hints, I'll give it a try. Didn't reflash yet as I just don't have the time needed for that. But reformatting sounds doable.
Just to get the steps right:
  1. boot into backupmenu
  2. make a backup
  3. (for security backup the backup)
  4. connect device via usb to pc
  5. put device in mass storage mode while in backupmenu
  6. format optfs (and only optfs) from pc via usb connection
  7. restore backup for rootfs and optfs via backupmenu's entry
  8. boot device and hope all is functional again
Thats right? Between step 2 and 3 I could reboot the device to backup the backup files to my pc or I could do it within mass storage mode of backupmenu.
But how do I get out of mass storage mode after step 6? Or could device stay in mass storage mode while restoring backup? I guess booting would be no good idea at this point.

The Following User Says Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
So, I'm releasing the next, and hopefully final version of BackupMenu.
I've added the format-optfs bit to the restore section, and fixed a couple of bugs. Also added a readme that pops up in the browser when you install it, telling people how to use it.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Mentalist Traceur, what is exactly You modification to get "full shell" at boot? Maybe it's worth to add it into "upstream" backupmenu? That would mean Robbie will have to release at least one more version

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
So, I'm releasing the next, and hopefully final version of BackupMenu.
I've added the format-optfs bit to the restore section, and fixed a couple of bugs. Also added a readme that pops up in the browser when you install it, telling people how to use it.
Also referring to the previous request about booting with kbd slided out, as well as my age old suggestion: could you get a key to backupmenu that actually quits backupmenu and continues bootup to OS, rather than rebooting the device, please. Would be mad useful.

Thanks for considering
/jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Yes, please! I went through this countless times. Really, really big +1 here.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Estel: See the Recovery Console Mode thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...covery+console

Pali's version just works like a bootmenu item - not 100% sure on the compatibility with bootmenu - my version (which gives you a 5 second countdown to press any key to get a shell, and which continues with bootup like normal after you exit the shell) is on the second page of that thread.

I'm going to post an updated version soon (iDont gave me a useful hint that I've tested as working - but it amounts to using the busybox-power included watchdog command instead of the watchdogs command extracted from bootmenu, so I want to get keyboard LEDs working that early in the boot first).

Keep in mind the reason backupmenu doesn't offer a full shell in the first place (if I remember right) is because the stock kernel doesn't include the framebuffer console - so if RobbieThe1st included that feature he'd either have to drop all users not using the latest -devel power kernel, OR make the feature self-enable only if the framebuffer console is available.

Oh, RobbieThe1st - when backup menu runs, are you able to light up the keyboard LEDs? I haven't figured out how to do it in my /sbin/preinit console modifications.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Keyboard LEDs wise, I think this is what you want:
Code:
insmod /lib/modules/$name/leds-lp5523.ko
for x in 1 2 3 4 5 6; do
        echo 50 > /sys/class/leds/lp5523\:kb$x/brightness
done
As far as continuing boot after backupmenu... I think that would be pretty hard - It's running in a chroot, and I don't know enough about how to set it back on track and then delete the chroot etc.
I was *hoping* to do that through Bootmenu, but I haven't yet gotten bootmenu to work *at all*: Using a proper bootmenu item file just makes it boot Maemo, I don't see *any* menu.

Console, yea. No console without framebuffer.
I may end up making a run-command type box, routing all output through my displayFile function etc. but that's a far cry from an actual terminal. Oh well
Hm... That being said, there may be a framebuffer module, that I can load... at least in power kernel. Stock users will just have to do wothout.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
I'm fiddling with those now... As far as I can tell the file you referred to is always at 0 and never effects anything if changed.

However, I'll try it with the device in my at-boot console and see what happens.(You might be thinking of "led_current" in the same directories - only problem is they're already set to 50 once the driver loads, and changing them doesn't turn the keyboard leds on/off, just changes their brightness.)

- Edit -

You were correct sir! Thank you!

- Edit 2 -

But this means that at some point after early boot, something else takes over keyboard LED on-ness control, since during normal operation, dbrightness is at -1, brightness is at 0, and no amount of echoing higher values into it changes that as far as I can tell.

- Edit 3 -

In power kernel 47 (and all higher versions probably, if any more come out), the module is loaded using "modprobe fbcon". Framebuffer console comes from two different modules, and as I understand it, Pali made one auto-loaded (or statically compiled in, I don't recall), while the other (fbcon) is not automatically loaded. But with this setup, you just have to add "modprobe fbcon" to a script early on (I used /sbin/preinit, because I was ready to reflash to reach my ideal of a proper root shell early option at boot, and wanted to get it in as early as possible; for backup menu's purposes you could probably load it either in bootmenu or backupmenu itself - however, beware - when I was modding my /sbin/preinit file, trying to insmod/modprobe non-existing modules led to a non-booting device - kernel would panic on every reboot after, for some reason - I don't know why, so I can't say if it would have the same effect in bootmenu. Since backupmenu is in a chroot, it might _hopefully_ be safer in there... but idk if you can load modules from in there in a way that will work for fbcon giving you a console opportunity... just make sure you are ready to reflash and test everything you do on all relevant kernel variants. My advice is check if fbcon exists in the modules directory, and only load it and the following shell if it does).

Keep in mind though that my long-term goal is to create an open source 'clone' of /sbin/preinit with the press-any-key-to-get-shell-countdown at boot, and plop it into -devel; and it wouldn't conflict with backupmenu as far as I know. So people who install both will have a setup where they boot, press-any-key for shell, and if they close/keep-open the keyboard right as they exit, they can either keep booting normally or drop into bootmenu/multiboot, respectively... hopefully.

The long-term hope is for me to find the time and knowledge to clone all the bootup scripts that aren't freely distributable, submit them to the CSSU and get us closer to a completely free Maemo 5. Knowing me it won't get done until no one else in the world is using the N900, but I can dream.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-07-02 at 00:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system