Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
So whats the situation then?

Is the N950 with HW keyboard going to available to everyone or just Developers?

sure there will be a terminal but till theres a way to use a physical keyboard. through bluetooth or otherwise. its still not useable for me

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
sure there will be a terminal but till theres a way to use a physical keyboard. through bluetooth or otherwise. its still not useable for me
When you have enabled the developer mode, it is possible to use ssh to log into the device.
Would that wok for you?

No, I have not tested any bluetooth keyboards with N9 to find out if they work. Need to do that next week in the office (I guess someone in there has one...)

Hartti

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ philly
no hw keyboard no sale

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany, near Hamburg
We need a slogan!

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Beautiful post. Best on here for some time. Articulates exactly what I wanted to express in a discussion today, but I failed due either to undercaffeination or insufficient levels of revolutionary fury.

Thank you.

I'm getting one as well. Long live the idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to CutterSlade For This Useful Post:
I'm getting one because I it looks like it has everything I need and my N900 isn't going to magically disappear if I get one so I can have the best of both worlds.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icarus(minus)mad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
shallimus rant = abill-uk epic fail

in case you did not notice - the consumers HAVE SPOKEN

they LIKE the iphone - they WANT fart apps - they DONT give a **** about FOSS ! They are OK with a walled garden !

most dont even know what FOSS is ! and they DONT CARE

so yea the consumers are all powerful - and they have voted with their wallet just kicked your FOSS ***

anything else ?
Some time ago, Microsoft had to modify its OS so the file explorer wasnt integrated with the Internet Browser.It was said it was limiting the consumer options.Do you remember that?
Now, tell me if you saw consumers riots in the streets crying for this tiranny of that big corporation.
Compared with what people now calls "ecosystem", that's a ***JOKE***.Now, the hardware is integrated with the whole OS, which integrates whatever the manufacturer wants, who also decides how and who,when and for how much will develop for its platform.
And, really, consumers then had already voted with their wallets what OS they wanted, so (as you're supposing), that included each and every feature it had, including the integrated browser.

The technology world is full of cynism.What yesterday was called "monopoly", today it's rebranded with a pretty word that makes feel smart to those who keep it in their mouths: "ecosystem".
What a company does, is "breaking standards".What another does, is "innovating over the standards".

Anyway, if there's one thing experience says about technology, it's that "consumers" are very enthusiastic about one thing for a few years.Like when the most "in" thing was having the smallest possible phone.Hey, their wallets were voting, remember that?

I really hope Windows Mobile 7 is a catastrophe so Microsoft, in like 2 or 3 years, forgets about mobile OS's and decides to port their existing OS's to quad-core phones, and we all forget this "ecosystem" thing (as we've already done with sooo many "cool" things the "consumers" wanted, like WAP, MMS's,etc,etc,etc)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trashie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
shallimus rant = abill-uk epic fail

in case you did not notice - the consumers HAVE SPOKEN

they LIKE the iphone - they WANT fart apps - they DONT give a **** about FOSS ! They are OK with a walled garden !

most dont even know what FOSS is ! and they DONT CARE

so yea the consumers are all powerful - and they have voted with their wallet just kicked your FOSS ***

anything else ?
Read what I wrote again:
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
It is only because we the consumer enable the closed/money-grubbing model espoused by so many companies that it continues to work for them.
So you attack my position, then immediately agree with it. Is that the epic fail you're referring to?

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
I could not agree with post #1 more!

Besides one tiny part, I am writing this on a winXP machine, wich I open-sourced (sorta..) by distributing it freely to friends and relatives (heheh..)

I am considering buying a N9 now that my N900 has been acting up with its charging habits. I just learned that the N9 will be packing a FM-transmitter, which i thought I would never have in a mobile phone again, after my N900.
The question remains, however, with the single core processor clocking in at 1ghz will the N9 experience the same lag under load the N900's got?

Afterthought: maybe we dont know the core config on the N9 yet, I can't find any conclusive info.

Tags
nokia_n9, repeatedhistory