Motorola are launching a quad core android phone with a qwerty key pad at the beginning of next year. there are calling it the jet. thats the only phone i can see that will be able to live up to my expectations

for now I stick to the N900, when N9 comes to the netherlands will see if I canmget one. no way i will buy iOS or android. I will get bored within a day... and turn to the N900.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Hospice...
person who get the N950 devkit don't care about the N9 keyboard missing

Originally Posted by Discoveryellow View Post
IMHO, you rock with being able to get two things wrong in one sentence!

N9 is a consumer mass market, .
I assume you mean the N9 is for the consumer mass market however if the phone is only going to be sold in a limited counties, I assume in limited numbers as well, how can it be for the "mass market"?

At the moment there is no evidence that Elop is going to allow the N9 to be sold in greater numbers than the N900? It seems the last thing he wants is for the phone to be a run away success selling in large numbers.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Well, the "dead platform" thing should keep me away from the N9 even more... and it doesn't
It's no fun being on a dead platform that can't even be developed by the community. You can't release a CSSU for the N8..

Originally Posted by robert485 View Post
Motorola are launching a quad core android phone with a qwerty key pad
It's still android - I want a good OS, not a processor I can't use because I'm limited to superfeaturephone functionality -_-

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Darkshine View Post
So I'm pretty much coming to accept that Maemo/MeeGo isn't going to be on my next phone. The N9 has no hardware keyboard (lord knows I've tried to get on with Swype, but I just can't), the N950 isn't being put on general sale and there are no manufacturers with MeeGo smartphone products slated for release. Although I'd love to pretend the N900 will last me the niggles are growing (no proper Spotify app, can no longer share photos to Facebook, no proper Facebook app, etc.) and the hardware isn't really made to last. So I'm thinking about alternatives, and I wouldn't mind some input from the community on what people are going to replace their N900s with?

I thought Android was the answer - so I bought a cheap one (ZTE Blade) which taught me that I can't stand the half-arsed multitasking - for example, I can't have two e-mails open at once, which I reference when replying to another. I also don't like the phone deciding to close an app, meaning when I switch back it has lost my place (an app-by-app issue, but could be fixed by proper multitasking). So now I'm thinking about the HP Pre 3.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are: stop fooling around and get a Symbian device. I got the E6, and the largest improvement is actually the keyboard. The keyboard on the E6 is fantastic, the best I have tried on any device despite it being small. And it has USB OTG, hot replacable SD (64 GB), best multitasking out there (until the N9 comes I guess). The poor part is a smallish screen, but incredible resolution multitouch. Excellent picture and video, EDoF is not bad at all. Build quality is old fashion Nokia, the E6 is made in Finland (not china or whatever). If it happened to be made in china it would also be excellent Full "synchability" and file transfer with anything and everything like all Symbian devices. The battery last for weeks.

The not so good is the default browser and the email being a bit slow and clunky, but I can live with that, Opera is working like a charm on it.

The E6 is a true Swiss Army knife of phones, but unmatched regarding texting and messaging.

This will free up your N900 to install MeeGo on it, natively. My experience with the Summer CE is that it is surprisingly complete, yet surprisingly daft. It cannot really be used for anything in its current state, and the look and feel is too much Android (It is hard to explain, but it got that Androidish glide and blurry smootheness as opposed to the snappy crispiness of Bada for instance). Some (read lots) more tweaking and tuning and adopt a Swipe-ish UI on it, and it will be cool. I have to try the tablet version next.

Then, within a year, Nokia will release a WP phone with full keyboard. It will be hated by many, but loved by many more. And the N9!! I know I cannot get through the day without a HW keyboard, but will I be able to get through the day without the N9 when it's available?

That's really my thought. Symbian until WP arrives and N900 for MeeGo.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
I've already arranged an N950!
I'm not happy with the fact that there is nothing available for us!
I can't find the photobucket uploader anymore... Anyone know where it is?

I hate android, its a buggy and as vulnerable as WINDOWS!!

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
My thoughts are: stop fooling around and get a Symbian device.
The missus has an N8. It's nice, but it's hardly a mobile computer As I said, what really gets me is the multitasking - I often have multiple e-mails, sms, websites, etc. open and I reference between them when writing out a reply.

Safe to say I won't be touching WP7 with a barge pole - for the same reasons as iOS and Android. I like to call them featurephones with app stores

And when I get a new phone I'll be selling my N900, because it can still make over a ton and I don't want to become one of those people who have a room full of gadgets. You can so easily fall into that trap, when these things were designed for convergence (ie you need LESS devices!)

The Following User Says Thank You to Darkshine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ ktm @uk
i also thought to move on as n900 was abandoned by nokia..well we still have our community who are looking after maemo..therefore i bought HTC Incredible S after doing may research..apart from sleek browsing i endup being disappointed with not so Incredible phone..

now for me only thing to do is to wait for n9 until something better comes along..

Pre 3 ordered. I'll review it from the perspective of an ex-N900 user when I've had some time to play