Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Hey fellas! So, I got my 770 in the mail 2 days ago and already messing around with it. I set up Gmail on the built in email client but have a question.

Everything went fine as far as downloading my emails from the gmail server. Only thing is all my emails are now listed as "unread" in my inbox. How do I change them all to "read?" How do I prevent the email client from downloading all the emails the next time I send/receive emails? Is it even possible? It's been a really long time since I've used an email client.

Thanks!

IIRC this was an unsolved problem with the email client. Are you running OS2006 or OS2007? A new email client is in the making (Modest), which should soon be released.

Welcome to the community.

Cool! Thanks for the tip and welcome

I'm running the latest version of os2006.

I'm quite surprised that the email client did come with this option to begin with since all of them let you do it. Out of curriosity, is it the same for the N800/N810?

Use Claws Mail instead. It works.
http://www.claws-mail.org/maemo/

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Theres also a setting in gmail itself which may help you as it controls how you can get mail from the server. If you open gmail in the browser, log in and go to settings you can now tell the gmail that when accessed by pop it will only download mails from that point onwards - this should help minimize the amount of mails your client receives.

I never had the problem with it receiving the same mail each time in the built in mail client on OS2006 or OS2007HE but I do find that claws is much nicer and feature rich - has a gecko plugin which will correctly render html messages and an RSS reader plugin which also works great.

Yes, I have it set up to receive from a certain date only. There is another pet peeve of mine regarding the built in client. It downloads both sent and received mails. I guess I will just have to try clawsmail or just use the browser for gmail.