Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by kyyla View Post
I don't get it. Who wants to use video during a phone call?
Me.

Just because I can.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Beni View Post
Some hardware annoyances is the fact that you have to have the stand open just to use the USB connection or get access to the external SD card slot. This is annoying because since I use a boxwave FlexiSkin case, I have to take it off everytime I want to transfer a large amount of files to my computer. Otherwise I could just use bluetooth.
About the other issues, it's your call, but for the stand the solution is quite simple: buy/borrow a torcs screwdriver and remove the stand.
I did it to the unit I use for development since it is mounted on a serial adapter which doesn't allow for opening completely the stand.

The solution to your problem is only 2 screws away ...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Just because I can.
Heh. It's for that reason that somewhere in my basement lurk a couple black and white QuickCams I used to play with CU-SeeMe about eleven years ago. My interest in free video calls across the Internet was sustained for less than a week and has yet to return.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by kyyla View Post
I don't get it. Who wants to use video during a phone call?
Parents who travel for business and want videocalls with their spouse and kids, distance seperated friends, grandparents and relatives wanting to keep touch with family, lots of people, ME ...

Or we just stick to voice only forever...

I have only had my N800 for a week, I am not a linux expert and really haven't delved that far under the hood (nor do I expect that I will). But, I have installed a couple programs (very easy), encoded a couple movies (took a little work to optimize the encoding settings) and I am actually very impressed with its performance. Yes, it isn't perfect, but what software / hardware solution is? However, for $250, I have a very close proximity to a desktop browser, I can access the internet via Blue Tooth / PAM anywhere, upload and download files, along with having access to an ever increasing list of compelling applications. The next firmware upgrade should only help to improve the products' functionality and stability.

As a side note; my 5-year old son also loves it. I have added some of his favorite cartoons to his own memory card, which I insert when we travel. Over the weekend he was more than content watching cartoons, while we were stuck in traffic.

Just another point of view...

Cheers!

I might trade my N800 for a Dell Axim x51v

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Hmm.. how about a nice X50v with metal case, leather case, 2 usb cables, cradle, 1GB SD, WM5/6,etc.. ? I just put one up on ebay yesterday... hehe.

At least for the stuttering scrolling when using the D-pad there is an easy fix:
Edit .opera/input.ini and change Down to Page Down, Up to Page Up. Opera must be closed first.
After this you'll have proper page up/page down in Opera.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Windows? Ugh, you're kidding, right?

Whats wrong with Windows? I run Windows XP on my computer. Maemo hasn't been the best experience anyways.