Hi,

I've been running the beta of OS2008 on my N800 since it was released, and I haven't rebooted in a week plus. My N800 gets a fair bit of use, and I also use it to store (and play, obviously) MP3s and movies.

Today I noticed that the SD card wasn't showing up in the file manager. A reboot later, and the SD card was showing up, but with mangled file names. I was able to reformat the card, and am currently recreating my virtual memory and copying my crap back over.

Has this happened to anyone else, or is this an isolated thing?

EDIT: The card is a Kingston Class 4 4GB SDHC. It's shipped from Amazon (not an amazon partner) so I have no reason to think it's shady.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Yes, it has happened to me with a Transcend 4GB card (internal slot) running 1.2007.44-4 on N800 (ie. OS 2008 for N810). The internal memory card is accessible, swap is in use and according to df it's mounted correctly but File Manager refuses to acknowledge I have an internal card, and only lists the external card. I haven't bothered to investigate it much further as I very rarely use File Manager (mostly using ssh etc.)

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Yes, it has happened to me with a Transcend 4GB card (internal slot) running 1.2007.44-4 on N800 (ie. OS 2008 for N810). The internal memory card is accessible, swap is in use and according to df it's mounted correctly but File Manager refuses to acknowledge I have an internal card, and only lists the external card. I haven't bothered to investigate it much further as I very rarely use File Manager (mostly using ssh etc.)
Did you have any files on it?

I honestly wouldn't mind if it were just the file manager that was being weird, but the fact that all of my file names were trashed... that's annoying. Interestingly enough, the files were there, and they seemed to be the right size, but i didn't try copying one over and renaming it to 'test.mp3' or whatnot...

I have had the problem of my SD card disappearing from the file manager. It came back after pulling it out and putting it back in AND resetting the n800. No corrupted files, but very annoying.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Jonnycat26 View Post
Did you have any files on it?

I honestly wouldn't mind if it were just the file manager that was being weird, but the fact that all of my file names were trashed... that's annoying. Interestingly enough, the files were there, and they seemed to be the right size, but i didn't try copying one over and renaming it to 'test.mp3' or whatnot...
Yes, I have lots of files on the card inc. audio and video all of which are found correctly by Media Player and mplayer, it's was just File Manager that refused to recognise the internal card was there at all and thankfully I didn't suffer corruption of any sort.

All very wierd and I have no idea what triggered it... a reboot fixed it and so far it hasn't happened again (I only rebooted a day or so ago).

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Hertfordshire, UK
Last night I found my internal card mounted read only for no apparent reason. A reboot sorted it for me too.

You should never have to reboot a linux system to get a filesystem remounted. All you need to do is becomeroot in the terminal and unmount (umount command) the filesystem and then remount it read/write (option rw) with the mount command. If it is busy so you can't unmount it, you can always do a remount=rw command, in which case it will not be unmounted for real, but the mode will be changed to read/write.

I know that the man-pages on the tablet itself are non-existant, but if you google for them, they are easily found.

Just a tip to avoid rebooting too much - rebooting is something you've learning in Windows-world. No computer should ever require rebooting, unless you actually need a new OS kernel. Imagine how much time you waste in your life waiting for reboots...

I got my 4gb external trashed when i took it out (all files closed), copied some files from my PowerMac G5 and voila, the Memory Card is corrupt message showed.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Maybe you have already done this, but be sure to report this to bugzilla and perhaps now there is somewhere else with the n8x0 becoming more important to Nokia?

Originally Posted by Kny View Post
You should never have to reboot a linux system to get a filesystem remounted. All you need to do is becomeroot in the terminal and unmount (umount command) the filesystem and then remount it read/write (option rw) with the mount command. If it is busy so you can't unmount it, you can always do a remount=rw command, in which case it will not be unmounted for real, but the mode will be changed to read/write.

I know that the man-pages on the tablet itself are non-existant, but if you google for them, they are easily found.

Just a tip to avoid rebooting too much - rebooting is something you've learning in Windows-world. No computer should ever require rebooting, unless you actually need a new OS kernel. Imagine how much time you waste in your life waiting for reboots...
I waste more time remembering commands