Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Ok, so title pretty much says it all. I don't remeber having this problem always, I rarely open PDF's at all on my N900.

It opens the file, I can zoom and scroll it for a while (10 seconds or so), then the app freezes completely, the system stays responsive otherwise and I'm able to close the app. Anyone else experiencing such problems? Any solutions other than installing some other PDF viewer? The stock reader would do it for me if it wasn't for this "feature".

Also, if I have to go with another PDF reader, is it possible to make it the default one, and which PDF reader would you recommend?

And yes, I did search the forums before posting this topic, and if it makes any difference, I have the CSSU installed as well as a motherload of extras-devel apps.

Thanks!

Install Evince from extras-devel. The default app does have some issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to Acidspunk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
I think It something to do with CSSU actually, PDF reader works ok for me. However, I found that launching some webOS games in portrait mode is not possible, the process remains active, but the app itself is not on the screen, music plays when I want to do something else. I'll file a bug report when I got a bit more time to investigate it properly. That's what I suggest you to do as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
Install Evince from extras-devel. The default app does have some issues.
Ok, Evince seems to do the job. The scrolling could definetely be smoother but at least it doesn't die on me .

Now, is there some way I can make PDFs open directly in Evince instead of the stock reader?

Originally Posted by Soppa View Post
Ok, Evince seems to do the job. The scrolling could definetely be smoother but at least it doesn't die on me .

Now, is there some way I can make PDFs open directly in Evince instead of the stock reader?
I don't really know to be quite honest. An app to change which default apps open certain types of files would rock though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Acidspunk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
I think It something to do with CSSU actually, PDF reader works ok for me. However, I found that launching some webOS games in portrait mode is not possible, the process remains active, but the app itself is not on the screen, music plays when I want to do something else. I'll file a bug report when I got a bit more time to investigate it properly. That's what I suggest you to do as well.
I guess it could be a combination of things, but since the PDF reader is working for you (I assume you have the CSSU installed) I don't think I'd want to shoot in the dark and file a bug report to the CSSU people, I'm sure they're got enough stuff to do as it is. Appreciate your reply though, I have to go and read the CSSU thread to see if there would be something related to this.

edit: should learn to read properly, yes I need to investigate this more too :P

Last edited by Soppa; 2011-07-07 at 21:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Soppa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
I don't really know to be quite honest. An app to change which default apps open certain types of files would rock though.
Indeed, guess it should be doable since there's the browser switchboard app to change the default browser. Although I guess the filetype associations could be handled differently in some closed source component. I'm sure some of the gurus on this site would know this, on my part it's just guesswork.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
sudo vi /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

pdf is the last one on the list

The Following User Says Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
CSSU gave some great things to PDF reader. it supports portrait mode and links are working so it redirecting to the page... It just excellent.

Posts: 106 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Corfe Castle, Dorset, UK
My CSSU enabled PDF reader displays the same fault, I think it locks up when you scroll to the bottom of the first page in a document. If you just scroll up/down a little and don't hit the bottom, it seems okay...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HughF_UK For This Useful Post: