Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

I saw a report on reddit about someone receiving an N8 back with the explanation that no more n900s are being made, so none were available. He had to chase and badger them to get the n900 back too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/n900/comment..._for_warranty/

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
I saw a report on reddit about someone receiving an N8 back with the explanation that no more n900s are being made, so none were available. He had to chase and badger them to get the n900 back too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/n900/comment..._for_warranty/
Well looks like I'll have to do the same, as the women at the repair centre said she was "escalting" the case.

Too be honest why do you need to make it more clear to another departement, when (on the form I sent with the device) it said "Repair Form", please give details of "repairs/issues".

It wasn't a "If we can't be bothered/haven't got any new ones, do you want us to send you a lesser model" form

I've read on here and other places that they have to give you a two year warranty (in the EU), is that correct, if it is, why are Nokia just sending out replacement N8's rather than repairing the devices?

EDIT: and if they haven't got any new devices, why haven't they got sufficient parts (motherboards etc) to complete repairs for the two year period????

As I pointed out earlier in this thread there are simply no N900 left as they went out of production. Not even so called light swaps(just the boards without any cover) can be ordered since the end of May.

It's a bit unusual for it to happen this early in the product's life span but it has happened before and the replacement with a comparable phone(class, price,..) is ok by terms of warranty. By being persistent you could actually end up getting your money back(depending on consumer laws) which is also ok by terms of warranty. So it's not like Nokia absolutely have to give you a working N900 back by all means.

I'm surprised though they replaced it without consulting you before, that's not how it is done here in our ASC.

If you get a N8 I would advise you to bug them into sending you a E7(which is the first choice anyway according to the spare part bulletin, Nokia says the E7 is the "Primary SWAP replacement") instead. Then just sell the E7 and get a bunch of second hand N900.

btw another example: the N97 display isn't available anymore(at first it cost like 20€ then the price suddenly climbed up to ~70€), so there's no way to repair phones with a broken one -> in this case the customer will receive a new N97 in exchange but those will run out too eventually and they could end up with a C6 or something like that as a replacement

you can blame Nokia and I understand your frustration very well but keep in mind it's probably not very economical to keep producing "dead wood" which never really got going sales-wise

Originally Posted by WONDERMIKE View Post
As I pointed out earlier in this thread there are simply no N900 left as they went out of production. Not even so called light swaps(just the boards without any cover) can be ordered since the end of May.
My point is, why not, if you are going to "support" any device, not just mobile phones, with a warranty, you should at least expect to have the spare components to repair defective devices within the warrenty period.

You wouldn't buy a car, then 18 months down the line, the manufacturer says, sorry we haven't got those parts anymore, so you can have this "not quite as good" car instead???!

It's a bit unusual for it to happen this early in the product's life span but it has happened before and the replacement with a comparable phone(class, price,..) is ok by terms of warranty. By being persistent you could actually end up getting your money back(depending on consumer laws) which is also ok by terms of warranty. So it's not like Nokia absolutely have to give you a working N900 back by all means.
First point is outlined above, don't call it a warranty if you aren't going to technically support the device for the set period.

Secondly the N8 is not a comparable device to the N900, to be honest no other current Nokia devices are comparable, even the N9 isn't as it doesn't have HW keyboard, so I would like to see that stand up as an excuse in court. Although that said the N9 would be (personally) the only device I would even consider.

Thirdly, how much would you get back in terms of money, I technically paid nothing for the device as it was on contract, do they give you the original cost of the unit or the lowest price that it reached, again either decision wouldn't stand up.

Fourthly, don't offer a "Repair Centre Service" if you can't repair the devices that you manufacture.

I'm surprised though they replaced it without consulting you before, that's not how it is done here in our ASC.
Not as surprised as I was, when an N8 turned up on my doorstep

If you get a N8 I would advise you to bug them into sending you a E7(which is the first choice anyway according to the spare part bulletin, Nokia says the E7 is the "Primary SWAP replacement") instead. Then just sell the E7 and get a bunch of second hand N900.

btw another example: the N97 display isn't available anymore(at first it cost like 20€ then the price suddenly climbed up to ~70€), so there's no way to repair phones with a broken one -> in this case the customer will receive a new N97 in exchange but those will run out too eventually and they could end up with a C6 or something like that as a replacement

you can blame Nokia and I understand your frustration very well but keep in mind it's probably not very economical to keep producing "dead wood" which never really got going sales-wise
I realise whatever device I get from them I could sell it and probably get a couple of N900's off ebay, but thats not the point.

I really don't want to have to go through the trouble of selling/buying just to get my device back.

Thats not the way it should be.

EDIT: the N97 etc have probably come out of warranty, so fair enough, they shouldn't have to support it.

I'm not on about producing more of the device, im on about having the "parts" and service available to support the device for the warranty period

Last edited by davedickson; 2011-07-08 at 14:54.

Again: Your points are valid and all.. BUT, your interpretation of warranty isn't Nokia's or the law's in this case. You use common sense while they act according to the law and the law of economics.

for the payback solution: I have seen a customer getting back nearly 1000 Euro from Nokia for his 8800 because the boards went out of production and there was no way to fix his phone without a new one - so it's not impossible. I have no idea how this would have worked out with a phone on contract though to be honest.

Did they at least send you the accessories from the N8's sales package? This is what they should have sent you with the N8: "In addition to RM-596 transceiver SWAP also following enhancements are needed: Charger AC-15, Headset WH-701, HDMI Cable Adapter CA-156, Data Cable CA-179 and uUSB OTG Cable Adapter CA-157"

In case you get your N900 back(I doubt it as it's probably already in Hungary and disassembled by Jabil) please contact me via pm, I think I can help you out.

Again: Your points are valid and all.. BUT, your interpretation of warranty isn't Nokia's or the law's in this case. You use common sense while they act according to the law and the law of economics.
I do see what you mean, I'm just annoyed at the whole process and the fact that it is not really support just sending you a different device (that is not as good as well!)

for the payback solution: I have seen a customer getting back nearly 1000 Euro from Nokia for his 8800 because the boards went out of production and there was no way to fix his phone without a new one - so it's not impossible. I have no idea how this would have worked out with a phone on contract though to be honest.
Well getting cash back would be better than having to sell the replacement device and then having to buy off ebay.

Did they at least send you the accessories from the N8's sales package? This is what they should have sent you with the N8: "In addition to RM-596 transceiver SWAP also following enhancements are needed: Charger AC-15, Headset WH-701, HDMI Cable Adapter CA-156, Data Cable CA-179 and uUSB OTG Cable Adapter CA-157"
Yeah, it was the full sales pack, with all the cables etc so I could easily sell it.

In case you get your N900 back(I doubt it as it's probably already in Hungary and disassembled by Jabil) please contact me via pm, I think I can help you out.
Ok thanks, I think not even phoning me to tell me that they couldn't repair it, and that they would offer me a different device was the worst issue.

I would even be happy to wait for the N9 release before I get a device back as I am using a SGS2 for the time being.

Hey guys i have the same problem i was thinkin of repairing my phone would i need to resolder it or does it work with superglue ? O.o cuz i need to fix it some how any help or idea's plsss q.q

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut View Post
Hey guys i have the same problem i was thinkin of repairing my phone would i need to resolder it or does it work with superglue ? O.o cuz i need to fix it some how any help or idea's plsss q.q
I'd maybe do a quick search, as there are a few threads on here about DIY usb repaires.

If I'd known they wouldn't repair it I probably would have done the same

So, after the second phone call from the "escaltion" team.... Nokia are delivering me a new N900 (probably a refurb I guess).

The question still remains as to why it took three phone calls, two of which felt like I had to "prove" my case for wanting the n900 back rather than any other device, I finally get it?

I wondered where this "magic warehouse" is, because after the first two calls, they were "out of stock"...... and suddenly they have a new one to send???

Anyway, hopefully it will arrive this week!

good for you Dave and I'm not surprised in the slightest to see Nokia not really knowing where their swap units are(or how many)

and yes, your "new" N900 will most certainly be a refurbished one with one or two minor scratches

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty