Active Topics

i think if one wants IM, N900 is the last device he/she should buy. This is a shiitty device for IM.

If you look around in forums, more than 95% of people find problems connecting. 5% are lucky purely by randomness.

Same for me, I extremely disappointed with Nokia conning me into buying this device for IM. I like it for many other reasons, but IM is really poor.

e.g. my gtalk doesnt connect.

I installed the jabber plugin, and also the pigdin plugin... Cannot connect to gtalk through either.

Cannot connect to meebo.org or even facebook....

Feel like banging the n900 on the floor given the many days i wasted on solving this....

waiting for liveprofile to be released (hope it is not another scam)

The Following User Says Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
IcyMoustache,
can I suggest you try an XMPP gateway? Look at the list on:

http://www.jabberes.org/servers/

I use hot-chilli.net but there are plenty others. Sign in to one account (one net connection = less battery drain) and you get ICQ, Yahoo, AOL, Google talk, MSN & a few others... heck I think some of them support facebook chat even though it's not listed on that website (I don't use facebook). Not skype though.

You have to sign in to your XMPP account on a desktop machine to add each additional protocol ("transport") because the N900 interface doesn't let you do that. I used a program called gajim. Takes 5 mins, do that once & you're set.

My N900 is now a beast of a messenger!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spanner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
For OP and others who may stumble upon this thread, it might be good to clear up a few things:
  • For each protocol, there are often several implementations to choose from on the N900, esp. MSN (see 9000s post).
  • Jabber, Google Talk, gtalk and XMPP are all the same thing. Jabber was developed as an open standard for IM, later renamed XMPP. Google adopted XMPP for their IM service.
  • XMPP/Jabber also provides voice and video calls, much like Skype.
  • Even facebook chat uses XMPP (a subset, I believe)
  • I agree wholeheartedly with several other posters: N900's Jabber/XMPP implementation is very good and stable, uses less battery than e.g. Skype.
  • When spanner speaks of "XMPP gateway", this is a service where you sign up, and at this service enter account info for all your IM accounts. You connect to the gateway with a single XMPP account/connection, but can "talk" to all your contacts on the various services.
  • From your use case I guess all you need is an XMPP/Jabber Account for each of you.
  • There are many, many free Jabber/XMPP services out there, but arguably the easiest you could do would be to sign up for Google accounts (gmail accounts) and set these up in the N900s (There is an account type "Google Talk" on the N900, and also "Jabber").
  • Note: for "chatting" over XMPP/Jabber from the PC, there is a plethora of choices e.g. Google's own, and "Spark", and clients more geared towards voice/video. Just search. :-)

Last edited by gaute; 2011-07-12 at 10:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaute For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by gaute View Post
For OP and others who may stumble upon this thread, it might be good to clear up a few things:
  • For each protocol, there are often several implementations to choose from on the N900, esp. MSN (see 9000s post).
  • Jabber, Google Talk, gtalk and XMPP are all the same thing. Jabber was developed as an open standard for IM, later renamed XMPP. Google adopted XMPP for their IM service.
  • XMPP/Jabber also provides voice and video calls, much like Skype.
  • Even facebook chat uses XMPP (a subset, I believe)
  • I agree wholeheartedly with several other posters: N900's Jabber/XMPP implementation is very good and stable, uses less battery than e.g. Skype.
  • When spanner speaks of "XMPP gateway", this is a service where you sign up, and at this service enter account info for all your IM accounts. You connect to the gateway with a single XMPP account/connection, but can "talk" to all your contacts on the various services.
  • From your use case I guess all you need is an XMPP/Jabber Account for each of you.
  • There are many, many free Jabber/XMPP services out there, but arguably the easiest you could do would be to sign up for Google accounts (gmail accounts) and set these up in the N900s (There is an account type "Google Talk" on the N900, and also "Jabber").
  • Note: for "chatting" over XMPP/Jabber from the PC, there is a plethora of choices e.g. Google's own, and "Spark", and clients more geared towards voice/video. Just search. :-)
Good info, but still Skype is Skype, so if you're forced to use that to chat and call, things can get b0rked. I don't think Skype is making updates to the n900 anymore

-s-

But that's Skype fault.

[off-topic]Anyway, i would not recommend using Skype @ all, anywhere (google "silver needle in the skype", first result is an interesting pdf from blackhat conference).

i know that it may be hard, when Your family/friends use it, but it isn't so hard as it seems, to educate people. Personally, i just denied to use it long time ago. First, they just learned to reach me by other means`, including 100% time better SIP. To my surprise, with time, even most stubborn non-geeky non-tech-savy ones abandoned skype at all - my "boring" talk about how evil skype can be resided somewhere in back of their heads, and they started to see some of it's day-to-day flaws (high network usage even on standby, high processing power needed) in other light.
[/off-topic]
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

have you tried pidgin protocols with built in im client? that works perfect for me. i run multiple accounts simultaneously and it switches automatically from 3g to wifi when i am at work or home...and vice versa. skype works well too.

leaving a +1 for gtalk. so far it has worked flawlessly for me.
tried jabber with facebook chat just to test it since i loathe facebook, but it worked fine.
nice info on xmpp/jabber. have to look further into it.
maybe the n900 IM success for some is not the best but for me it has been nothing short of impressive. being online on several IM services and talking to several people in parallel, all integrated, gives a nice sense of freedom. :-) yes, the n900 is great still today.