I was initially skeptical about whether I'd like the N9. After so much wait, the device that is supposed to be everything we were waiting far too long for will actually be here soon. I just hope it doesn't end up like Duke Nukem Forever.

First things first, the design. While initially unimpressive, reading more about it, you can see that removing the keyboard was more than an arbitrary decision, and it allows the device to be more portrait-mode centric as well as more aesthetic. The 8MP camera was disappointing compared to the 12MP on the N8, but this was a size issue and they didn't skimp on the camera - it is fast and can do 4:3 and 16:9 photos better than any phone out there. The subtler touches like the curved gorilla glass screen show that this was a phone whose software and hardware were made together, not apart. The inclusion of 1GB of RAM shows that they are committed to multi-tasking.

Now the only things that strike me as wrong with the device are that it doesn't have HDMI (which I wouldn't really plan on using, but its nice to have) and the radio transmitter/receiver which didn't get any love though hardware or software. Neither of these are dealbreakers for me.

What bothers me a lot is the fact that far too many people are talking about Alien Dalvik as though its some kind of savior to the platform. Its not. In fact, it should never touch the device as anything more than an interesting tech demo. Nokia said that they didn't want to go with Android just to be "pissing their pants to keep warm." They have their own ecosystem around their devices, going Google would only hurt them. This phone already has a Maemo/Meego personality disorder, I don't want people to be calling it an Android phone just because it would be easier than explaining Alien Dalvik to them. This is the first Meego phone (read: Meego compatible). For better or worse, it will define the platform. I don't want the platform to be described as "just like Android" or worse, categorized as a flavor of Android. If Nokia wanted to make a custom interface for Android, they could've and it would've taken them a lot less time to get it to the market. But there would be far less brand loyalty. The only Android device line I really see people being loyal to is the Droid/Droid2/Droid2 Global/Droid3 and that's because that's one of the few lines that takes a keyboard seriously.

Through this, Nokia's WP7 jump makes more sense. Win or lose, WP7 has a chance, not for being the same as everything else, but for being different. That said, I won't look into getting a WP7 device, even one of the super special fun fruits of the Nokia-Microsoft partnership because it can't suit what I want. I want a toy, a device that I can really mess with because I will, a device that supports playing Matroska Video files as well as FLAC a GNU/Linux phone that doesn't call a terminal where you can use the GNU tools as well as any other command line program an afterthought.

This is the second device of its kind, the N900 was the first and we must praise its legacy as a device more successful than was intended. But we also have to move past its failings. Unlike multiple desktops, the swipe ui of the N9 forces you to always be able to get where you want in 2 swipes and a click at most. Folders (will) make program grouping faster to go through than a desktop experience would. Widgets are pretty, but the only problem they solve is information aggregation, and the only aggregation part is the fact that you can have more than one widget on the screen at a time. If you really wanted to specifically have widgets on the screen, a plugin-based app that even scrolls through virtual desktops wouldn't even be that difficult, but that's not even the point. Widgets, particularly on Android also solve the problem that it can't do true multitasking. This phone was specifically made to be able to do multitasking in a way no other phone can claim it can. You can get all the information you're looking for, again, with at most 2 swipes and a click, and it will be instant. There will be no waiting for the app to load because its already loaded (its to the point where I'm pretty sure they recommended somewhere to leave the camera app open so you can take pictures faster). No hiding the fact that on other platforms you'd need to open and close several programs.

Finally, this is an open device. It is using GNU/Linux in a traditional way full of all the newest things. I say "GNU/Linux" not for being someone you affectionately call a "neckbeard," but because its not Android, where the fact that it uses Linux is irrelevant to any use of the device, where it doesn't use the current tried and true method of displaying graphics X.org, it uses a framebuffer. It doesn't use native programs or tookits, it runs things in a (hopefully well optimized) virtual machine using their own drawing apis. The N9 is a Linux phone that isn't ashamed of being a Linux phone, with both appeal as a physical device as well as a piece of software running on that device.

I just hope that this device will in fact be as nice as it looks now. I hope that it sells well enough that people will take it seriously as a platform. I hope it is met with enough praise that it will have a true successor at some point, whether that comes from Nokia or somewhere else. Nokia has taken the path less traveled with this device, and that makes all the difference.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to BwackNinja For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by 0x4e84 View Post
You have to enter your suggestion for one of the 6-character codes to be found (12 have already been found, 8 more to go) on the 6 big black rectangles (you can't miss them) by clicking on them, or directly from the keyboard, and AFTER you must enter the captcha and press enter...

If it says "wrong", then your 6-character code is not correct, or has already been found...

Look at the videos for ideas about codes to find... Like registration plate of the taxi (already found, obviously), for example...

0x4e84
Any way of knowing which codes have already been found?

Last edited by Prozac786; 2011-07-15 at 16:19.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
915914 = Time on the football player’s N9
041434 = Taxi’s distance meter
STEPIN = The 6 hidden letters
HPMHMK = KM/H MPH
850630 = Alarm set on the balerina’s N9
DCA578 = Taxi’s plate
PRND21 = Taxi’s gears
7AM7PM = Road panel
210611 = Date on the football player’s N9
132545 = Time set on the old man’s clock
IRFNOM = MONFRI backwards (was on the sign with 7AM7PM)
436793 = location of pitch and st where biker turns 43.655314,-79.365733

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Prozac786 View Post
Any way of knowing which codes have already been found?
You can probably find them in this very thread, but with more than 200 pages and counting, it'll be easier for you if I post them in this post...

DCA578
PRND21
7AM7PM
STEPIN
HPMHMK
IRFNOM

For explanations about what they mean, I suggest using the search function however

Good luck!

0x4e84

Last edited by 0x4e84; 2011-07-15 at 16:36. Reason: Damned, again too slow! :-P

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0x4e84 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
I definitely think that one of the clue in on the guy's blue t-shirt in the social media video....

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What happend. still 8 left?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

any one have a clue as to what is on the purple banner above for lease in the browsing video where mon-fri was found...

I thought maybe

372BAY

it is address of the Sterling Towers building the cab driver drives by a few times

Is it me or the taxi driver has "XAND" on his shirt ?

Originally Posted by segaen View Post
Is it me or the taxi driver has "XAND" on his shirt ?
Well if u slow down the video u can actually see it changes from Xand to something else...

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????