Notices

Originally Posted by coredumb View Post
abuakram, did you already enable the repo mentioned by ivanrajkovic in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=14?
because when I disable those repository, the "not installed" error occurs
yes, he did;
see his post 21
after adding the two repos, he tried again to install mc_4.7.4-maemo3_armel.deb (he had already downloaded) with dpkg.

mentioned in my following post that apt-get install is needed to install from the net, which he did but which failed too.

abuakram pointed out in post 16 that he doesn't have access to those repositories

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Indonesia
abuakram/misterc,

perhaps that's the main problem, could not connect to the nokia repo. 'mc' needs file from these repo.

btw, if you still want to install 'mc', i suggest you to use the package from extras repo (ver 4.6.2), because the package from extras-devel has serious bug (http://maemo.org/packages/package_in.../4.7.4-maemo3/)
you could download it from http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...mo10_armel.deb.

i also attach the 'file' and 'libmagic1' packages, in case you still couldn't connect to nokia repo.

install it using command:
dpkg -i file_4.12-1osso_armel.deb libmagic1_4.12-1osso_armel.deb mc_4.6.2-pre1-1maemo10_armel.deb
Attached Files
File Type: deb file_4.12-1osso_armel.deb (28.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: deb libmagic1_4.12-1osso_armel.deb (226.6 KB, 72 views)

PreS: coredumb, you prove my not so subtle allusion wrong before the fact
thank you for that
nonetheless, and like i point out in my (too long) post, is it a good idea to install files from SSU manually?

Originally Posted by abuakram View Post
did all what u mentioned & "Coredumb"

succeded force installing libncursesw5

but failed installing mc normally or with dpkg -i

this was the response

anyway Misterc, I appreciate you standing by with me for hours, could have spent them elsewhere better.

if another idea crossed ur head don't forget to post it

thanks
don't mention it, literally ¦:-}
it looks like you won't be able to install mc 4.7.4, unless i shuffle you over the files you can't get from the SSU repositories.
but even this is actually a bad idea because the files in the SSU (Seamless Software Updates) are updates to core files of the operating system. if you start installing newer versions without access to the whole repository you will very likely get dependencies problems when trying to install never versions of software's

afraid you will have to settle with 4.6.2
in fact you may want to remove the extra-devel & testing repositories from your system, as packages there are likely to depend on newer versions of the system files provided by SSU

as a matter of fact trying to help you w/ mc gave me a very concrete & down to earth example of a discussion i was reading up at the same time.

in a nutshell, NOKIA made a few months ago a strategic change by switching from its (more or less) house build mobile device OSes (Symbian and Maemo) to microsoft's wp.
as the Maemo.org site is mostly financed by NOKIA this could of course mean trouble even though NOKIA already promised support for another year or so. thus the ppl who manage the site on a day to day basis (the Council) felt they needed to plan for the worse, namely that NOKIA will not renew its support next year.
i'll spare you the gritty details, but alas not all of Maemo is open-source and thus if Maemo.org has to survive w/out NOKIA they either have to get the closed-source parts from NOKIA or come up with some open-source alternatives.

two remarks

your problem isn't technical in nature but, as you pointed out yourself administrative. nonetheless, it gives a very concrete idea of how fragile the openness of Maemo is, if updates to the core OS are not available in the same way other packages are.

as i pointed out in the nutshell, the Council is planning for the worst.
silently, many of course hope for the best, namely that NOKIA will continue to support Maemo.
as a matter of fact NOKIA promised support for their last Maemo device (the N9) for several years and the most likely way to do that is via Maemo.org
EDIT: from reading todays post on a discussion it seems NOKIA has decided not to make use of Maemo.org to support the N9

long story cut short
i got myself a 2nd N900 a little while ago in order to have a test device for the new Maemo, namely MeeGo.
as i will keep one of the N900s as my primary phone / device under Maemo i thought about doing a couple improvements to it.
considering our failure to install mc 4.7.4 on your N900 (and some serious ethical issues on talk.Maemo.org, but that's a different very ugly story...) i think i'll head over to MeeGo right away :|

hope you can settle with mc 4.6.2
and enjoy your N900 nonetheless

PS: maybe you can to edit the title of the thread to reflect that the problem is specific to 4.7.4 without SSU?
that is, if you are able to install 4.6.2, of course.

Last edited by misterc; 2011-07-22 at 07:43. Reason: NOKIA's (de-)support for maemo.org

install it using command:
dpkg -i file_4.12-1osso_armel.deb libmagic1_4.12-1osso_armel.deb mc_4.6.2-pre1-1maemo10_armel.deb
it worked

thanks a lot coredumb

by the way Misterc, close source is a capitalistic attitude to prevent others using the code... just imagine what maemo would have advanced to, if it were open source,if all brains, not only that of Nokia, participated in it.

It is like buying a car without a key, I mean, if I buy something I should owe it all, not only a part of it.

cheers
AbuAkram

it worked

thanks a lot coredumb

by the way Misterc, close source is a capitalistic attitude to prevent others using the code... just imagine what maemo would have advanced to, if it were open source,if all brains, not only that of Nokia, participated in it.

It is like buying a car without a key, I mean, if I buy something I should owe it all, not only a part of it.

cheers
AbuAkram
Great that you finally installed it.

I just want to ask something, when you enabled extra repositories, did you do:
# apt-get update
before
# apt-get install mc

or not?
I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, and apt-get needs to update the list of repositories before it can install something from them.

it worked

thanks a lot coredumb

cheers
AbuAkram
i would rather compare it with the 1st american cars of the 70s after the 1st oil crisis;
still big (heavy) cars, but with too small engines to really quick it.
and even though the community has done a lot to improve the performances nonetheless, we are still left with a heavy device that has performance issues because we don't have (all) the blueprints, indeed.

capitalistic?
indeed, NOKIA is quoted on stock exchange & has to make money to make their stockholders happy. i don't think NOKIA earned much with Maemo, even though they invested quite a bit in it :|
ROI and OSS? not for NOKIA, nope

PS: updating the title of the thread?

PPS: i switched to openSUSE five years ago, so, yes, i like OSS very much too and is one of the reasons i like the N900, indeed

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Indonesia
Originally Posted by ivanrajkovic View Post
Great that you finally installed it.

I just want to ask something, when you enabled extra repositories, did you do:
# apt-get update
before
# apt-get install mc

or not?
I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, and apt-get needs to update the list of repositories before it can install something from them.
ivanrajkovic, it already mention in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=16, and misterc also already remind me about it

it seems Sudan has its own policy about internet filtering, which cause abuakram could not access nokia repo.

misterc, english is not my daily language, so apologize me if i explains something that others already did.

ivanrajkovic, it already mention in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=16, and misterc also already remind me about it

it seems Sudan has its own policy about internet filtering, which cause abuakram could not access nokia repo.

misterc, english is not my daily language, so apologize me if i explains something that others already did.
don't mention it
thank you for helping out

Actually it is not Sudan that filters the Internet, if it were, there are lots of ways to bypass it.

It is that USA has announced an embargo on Sudan, which NOKIA & OVI practises, by not allowing to use their repositories, not even bypassing helps.

It is sad that these policies done by USA affects people like me, just look at Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia the fight againt Algaeda killed 2 millions of citizens.

very sad

Actually it is not Sudan that filters the Internet, if it were, there are lots of ways to bypass it.

It is that USA has announced an embargo on Sudan, which NOKIA & OVI practises, by not allowing to use their repositories, not even bypassing helps.

It is sad that these policies done by USA affects people like me, just look at Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia the fight againt Algaeda killed 2 millions of citizens.

very sad
is there any way to proxy ALL IP traffic out of N900 with onion router / Tor project?
would be nice, but it is in Extra-devel & probably would be nightmare to install without the SSU repos

i sympathize with the loss of (human) life, but i can advice you to avoid starting that kind of discussion. you'll raise hell, to put it mildly