Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by F1shb0ne View Post
Did I hear that the Eee doesn't have bluetooth? If so, that's a deal-breaker for mobility. That leaves you limited to hot spots for connectivity and otherwise off-line.
In addition to the other replies, there are non-BT options as well (USB tethering to a cell phone, USB GSM dongles, USB EVDO dongles, etc.).

(and, as has already been stated, I'm not an Eee fan, just being fair)

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
In addition to the other replies, there are non-BT options as well (USB tethering to a cell phone, USB GSM dongles, USB EVDO dongles, etc.).

(and, as has already been stated, I'm not an Eee fan, just being fair)
ontop of that:

In January 2008 you'll be able to buy HSDPA for Eee.
http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2007/1...or-eee-pc.html
http://www.i4u.com/article13308.html

Well, if it has a >500mAh USB port you can buy a USB HSDPA dongle right now instead, of course. I've got one, for my laptop.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
So this morning, on my 90-minute commute by Metro from Sterling, VA, to Washington, DC, I decided to "ssh -C -X -D3000 foremank@..." to my bastion host for the office. I immediately ran "screen", because that's what I do, and it's habit...

I checked my email, checked the server logs to make sure the nightly backups ran without a hitch, installed a couple packages on an Apache/Tomcat servers for a co-worker, and then started working on my report scripts, when...

OH, *****... I forgot about the Ballston-Marymount tunnel. 2 minutes in, and my AT&T Internet connection on the N810 dropped.

I got to work, fully expecting my scripts and hard efforts to be gone. I log in, and guess what I found? Everything ran and my scripts were still there!

You know that -X works just fine with ssh on the N8x0, don't you? That magic parameter allows you to run Xwindows apps on your N8x0 just as you would a larger workstation. I typically pull up nedit, xchat, or various little apps from mine.

WELL, "screen" works with them too. No, I didn't know that either. I told a co-worker about my fear of lost scripts this morning, and that screen had saved my arse, and he told me he's been using screen and X on his N800. His connection drops, he reconnects, and his Xwindows are still there?!

I'm showing all this to my Division Chief in the next manager's meeting. We're running a handful of N800 and N810 now, but I think every sysadmin here will want one after this!

I love my N810.

That's the thing with screen: It's made for starting stuff, disconnect, re-attach later. It's an incredibly useful application.

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
We must have been seperated at birth. That is exactly the way I see it.

If I was willing to carry around something EEE sized with me I would demand more screen resolution and less bezel. For that kind of tradeoff in size, there better be 1024x768 waiting at least.

Really I've been baffled for weeks now seeing the EEE compared to pocketable devices. Small compared to a normal laptop, sure. But that would take a trenchcoat.
I would not even try and get a EEE into a trenchcoat pocket and I carry a lot of krieg in my leather trenchcoat on a normal basic.

I don't mind buying an EEE as a mobile office, especially for traveling. I do multilingual stuff, and N8xx is not quite there yet for that kind of work.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
You know that -X works just fine with ssh on the N8x0, don't you? That magic parameter allows you to run Xwindows apps on your N8x0 just as you would a larger workstation. I typically pull up nedit, xchat, or various little apps from mine.
Last time I tried it, I couldn't get past thunderbird password prompt. How do you enter text on a remote, non hildonized, app? (with an n800 and no hardware keyboard).

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
#24 Today, 10:18 AM
promethh
Member Join Date: Aug 2007

Why I love my N810?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this morning, on my 90-minute commute by Metro from Sterling, VA, to Washington, DC, I decided to "ssh -C -X -D3000 foremank@..." to my bastion host for the office. I immediately ran "screen", because that's what I do, and it's habit...

I checked my email, checked the server logs to make sure the nightly backups ran without a hitch, installed a couple packages on an Apache/Tomcat servers for a co-worker, and then started working on my report scripts, when...
Damn my accounting job....I am unable to see a single excel attachment from my job emails....no luck for my, no productivity on the go so far

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by akd View Post
Damn my accounting job....I am unable to see a single excel attachment from my job emails....no luck for my, no productivity on the go so far
No luck with Gnumeric?