Active Topics

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I bet most of you pessimists are the same people who said 'meh' when the first iPhone was released.
I was one of those who said meh to iphone 1. Same goes for iPhone4 that didn't bring anything that special to the table imo. But I was ecstatic about the N900 and now the N9. So I must be someone somewhere in-between. hehe. I'm still interested to see what Apple has in store this time around for iPhone5. Any new/better technology is welcome in my books.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I was one of those who said meh to iphone 1. Same goes for iPhone4 that didn't bring anything that special to the table imo. But I was ecstatic about the N900 and now the N9. So I must be someone somewhere in-between. hehe. I'm still interested to see what Apple has in store this time around for iPhone5. Any new/better technology is welcome in my books.
Hmm, that means you're a diehard nokia fan. Iphone is overall a better phone (and I am anti-apple). It's just the fact that you could 'OWN' your n900 means it was just for u. I mean i like certain aspects of the n900 but if the world had to choose, it would always be the iphone and it showed.
Iphone 4 hardware brought a lot to the table i believe. It's easily the best 5 mp camera i've seen, and the res on a screen that small is incredible.

Nokia's problem is that they saw this and did little. First was when flip phones were the craze they were like noone cares about flips, and the razr ate them for breakfast....then touch screens and then it was all down hill.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
Hmm, that means you're a diehard nokia fan. Iphone is overall a better phone (and I am anti-apple). It's just the fact that you could 'OWN' your n900 means it was just for u. I mean i like certain aspects of the n900 but if the world had to choose, it would always be the iphone and it showed.
Iphone 4 hardware brought a lot to the table i believe. It's easily the best 5 mp camera i've seen, and the res on a screen that small is incredible.
Dunno. I did buy the SGS2 and Omnia7 as well. I also own the iPhone4. (my wife uses it) When iPhone1 came out, I had the N95 8GB and that was great for what i needed. It also had a camera as good as the iPhone4.

Yeah. N900 is my baby alright. haha. But yeah, for my mum/dad/wife and most of my friends, iPhone4 was a better choice. I dont' argue with that. Well, now many of my iPhone4 frends are going to SGS2 interestingly enough. It has pretty much all of the same apps while being bigger and better in nearly everyway. (maybe until iPhone5 comes out. haha)

Only part of iPhone4 which was special was the LCD. (but not the size....) Nothing else was that special really. Camera? Not really. It seems competitors are now going faster than Apple. (all have dual core phones already) What I would be surprised about the iPhone5 would be if it had a ~4" qHD or higher res AMOLED. Now that would be a nice upgrade to iPhone4.

N9 is a sidestep. But a very interesting one at that. I loved it when I first got to try it out and will love it once I get one for myself. (I was told today that it's been delayed so I'll get mine in 2-3 weeks apparently. I'm upset..) It's the simplicity of the UI combined with the complexity (or the freedom) of what you can do underneath it that gets me all excited. Can't wait till what the community will do with it also.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
I disagree with iphone being an overall better phone... I have had an n900 for the past year and a half and I have toyed with android off and on (am using an Xperia X10 now as I wanted a slimmer phone with full navigation software) and from what I have seen, both platforms far exceed the iphone.

I have also seen my wife run into lots of problems with the various ipones (3G, 3GS and 4) with multiple reflashing of the firmware and many of them being replaced by apple for various hardware issues... My N900 has got got some cosmetic signs of wear and tear but its still going strong and other than the OS updates I have not had to reflash it once!

iphone excels from its simplicity and it is this that appeals to the mass consumer audience (that and its made by apple). Android far exceeds iphone in terms of specifications and customization...

Compare the iphone to the (over a) year older n900 and the iphone camera comes in second (I have compared pics and the n900 easily wins), there was antennagate, the screen resolution is not that much higher, the flash is weaker, it doesnt have a keyboard, it does'nt have an SD card or an IR port or a radio receiver and transmitter AND you are tied to a bloated piece of rubbish software called itunes...

Sure the iphone has it beat on the CPU, design, overall slimness but thats to be expected as its much more recent and was made to appeal to a totally different audience.

The iphone also has it beat on the overall number of apps but apps are not everything - there are times that I wish the N900 had more apps but after seeing android market place and the iphone appstore there is such a lot of crap in there too that its hard to find the real gems...

Also the vs iphone and android has been done on the forums here tons of times already and I am adding little here...

Nokia missed the ball on a lot of things, the biggest recent trend (other than the smartphone wars) was probably the tablet as they introduced the 770 back in 2005, it then took then basically 5 years to finally add a cellular modem to the NIT's and release the N900 and even at that it was to a limited audience but still they have no competitive tablet on the market while theres the ipad and just about every other vendor with their android tablets (and even meego)

Symbian has been lagging for a long time even with the rewrite to S^3 however Harmattan Meego has a lot of potential, I like other people here are hoping that this gets the chance to shine as what I have seen so far has impressed me into wanting an N9 when its released (if it ever gets released in the USA - fingers crossed!)

I guess for me its not being a nokia fanboy but wanting something powerful thats different, thats not following the majority... All platforms have their flaws, it all boils down to what you are most comfortable with.

Last edited by jer006; 2011-07-29 at 04:14.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
hmm, everyone here being such human, always wanted "more and more" and always "need more of this and that", before i thought yall r all gods, heartless n careless

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bltcool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by bltcool View Post
hmm, everyone here being such human, always wanted "more and more" and always "need more of this and that", before i thought yall r all gods, heartless n careless
I have no idea what any of that gibberish means but I like the cut of your jibe!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by bltcool View Post
I couldn't agree more

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Turkiye
nokia should support nitdroid to get me to buy an n9....

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by unfuccwittable View Post
Anybody who thought Engadget or any other mainstream consumer electronics site was gonna cover Maemo/MeeGo after that initial N9/N950 announcement might be delusional. Nokia is firmly in bed with Microsoft, for better or worse. As such, they aren't talking about the N9/N950 which means no news coverage. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by this. The next N9 post you see on Engadget (or any site of its ilk) will be when some overseas retailer is selling it for 999 euro.
Originally Posted by scapegoat845 View Post
There's nothing to cover !? No concrete info on pricing,availability, etc... What could Engadget possibly cover about the N9/950 ?! That Nokia blows on releasing after announcing ? Don't get me wrong, i'm still buying one, i'm just as bitter as the next guy....
All I'm saying is, it'd be nice if they paid more attention to the more obscure OS's sometimes.
There's certainly plenty of info. to gather out there... if they made an effort.
But I do kinda agree with Gerbick's & others sentiments...
Why should they bother, if Nokia's not bothering to leak them tons of info. about developments.

Originally Posted by Cod3rror View Post
All the mainstream blogs and sites know that N9 is a concept project. It's a prototype, not a consumer product.
Nokia hasn't suggested that for the N9, they've committed to support that's as good as most other handset makers.
But whether MeeGo itself will have enough momentum to make power users happy, is unclear (ala CyanogenMod, Cydia etc).
It may be unlikely, as past experiences with Maemo have shown us, to some extent.
Then again, the N9 has the potential to draw-in a much larger community than the N900, if Nokia doesn't restrain that potential.

Nokia has said WP is the main smartphone platform for now & into the foreseeable future.
But they've never officially said anywhere, that there won't be MeeGo phones next-year or the following.
If they ever do it'll spell the death of Linux-based handsets from Nokia, & be a huge blow to the Vanilla MeeGo handset.
At least until Intel/partners jump in heavily, just before Intel's silicon for competing w/ARM is finalized.

The N9 certainly looks far more consumer oriented than the N900 ever was.
Aside from the built-in functionality & UI slickness...
It's actually coming out with a raft of in-house & externally developed apps.
Exact no. not divulged by Nokia, & it's probably been scaled-down since the change in strategy.
That never happened with the N900...

N9 is absolutely irrelevant now. That's why it's in a limited production and limited sales in limited countries and they're giving them away in random contests.
Well, limited production is a bit premature... But it's probable if they keep trying to limit it's availability/sales.
But if initial uptake is much higher than the N900 (despite limited availability), then they'd be mad to continue doing that.

Now, I will say that out of all Nokia's platforms MeeGo on the N9 looked the best, and the N9 had a very big potential had it been looked after, but no one snatches a defeat out of victory's mouth like Nokia, so they canceled the project.
MeeGo N9 could've been great, hell it killed the interest in WP7 on Nokia.
For once I think we agree on something

But now... will you pay 500 euros for an experimental phone?
I like to live dangerously

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
1.3 million people disagree http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfE3B6L-Otw
Do you read anything but this forum? It seems people here are the most negative about the N9.
There's def. indications out there, that there's far greater interest than Maemo/N900 ever had.
But it's also obvious that Nokia has little interest in really leveraging that

I have seen much more hype and marketing on the N9 than the WP phones despite they should be released about the same time. Nobody was interested about the leaked Sea Ray. It doesn't have that magic.
I dunno....
All the mainstream tech sites, & even the Nokia blogs, seem way more interested in covering WP now.
I think that's mostly due to Nokia not leaking much about MeeGo, plus advertising revenue M$ can bring.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-29 at 16:41.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????