Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Dude. Spend the time you are typing here on solving your problem. Hint, your initial question has been answered tens if not hundreds of times.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
You guys are both a great example of what the Maemo community is becoming.

Keep up the good work.

OT:
I could try http://wiki.maemo.org/How_To_Make_Yo...ry_Last_Longer

I've read those tips already. The problem is, if you follow most of them, your N900 will not be very useful at all. For example, if you have stuff like Skype, and you expect phonecalls, turning 3G off or Skype off defeats the purpose. And like I said, the N810 didn't have this problem at all (when on WiFi).

The Following User Says Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ sofia, bulgaria
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Google is your friend.

http://tinyurl.com/42x587b
How did you do that?

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ sofia, bulgaria
N900 is great phone for its features, so if a feature is present and find a usage case for it, I prefer this feature to be on.
Currently I have 3g/WIFI auto connect all the time. I have bluetooth on and connected to my handsfree all the time. I have gtalk awlays connected. I have zaplock updating my latitude im backgrouind. I have applied varius tweeks to improve my device speed and bettery life. I'm very happy with my battery life (~40 hours), as it is better than an iPhone and much better than android devices. Both of them could not afford even the half I have.
I also notice that skype and other chat clients are draining battery. So I limit my IM accounts to just 1. I would be happy to see a tweek or something else that will alow me to have all IM on. Anyway it is not possible now, so I'm sticking to Gtalk only.

I do not provide a solution here, just sharing some info about my observations and how I'm using my device.

Depending on operator's settings, lowrate but frequent traffic on 3g can be as battery consuming as a voice call.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I vote thumbs down on anthonie. If someone wants to suggest googling, fine, but they should also say what they think is so obvious.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
indeed, anthonie is not behaving properly. Seems to be a problem in this world these days

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Geneven and petur,

Low battery life has been discussed on this forum over and over. Some people have managed to improve their battery life by tweaking, as lidow reported, others have been lucky enough to get Smart Reflex running without reboots, etc.

Apart from that, it is very much dependent on the services you have running, eye candy in use, like live wallpaper, etc.

The information provided by OP does not mention anything about that, it talks about the various IM services available. I guess it's a bit of an understatement to say that the combination of 3G and IM causes a massive battery drain. So either you don't turn them on permanently, or use a different way of connecting. If that's not possible, you'll have to start tweaking.

If OP had followed all those threads and tips already, why did he not make that clear in his posting? I put up the google link, and within the first couple of pages there are plenty of suggestions to be playing for a couple of hours. But instead, OP rather makes a sarcastic remark about "my google experience" or whatever. Still not a word about what he has and what he has not done to improve performance. Well. Sorry, I am not always polite, not always friendly, and when I give a hint but get some remarks like that, I feel little desire to start spoonfeeding.

If the problem in this world today is being caused by people who are not willing to spoonfed, perhaps it's time for people to take things in their own hands and start using fork and knife on their own. OP has been here long enough to know how things work.

When a poster is new, usually I will not give them a lmgtfy-link. We were all new once, but this is not a new and inexperienced user.

I have no intention to offend anyone. Life is difficult enough without being a prick all the time. On the other hand: If people put their time and energy into answering your questions, you might as well react a little bit different than with sarcasm.

I guess it's a bit of an understatement to say that the combination of 3G and IM causes a massive battery drain.
If you bothered to read my posts, you would have noticed that I also said that this problems happens on WiFi as well, not only on 3G. You would have also noticed that the N810 did not have this problem, so it is obviously a software bug.