Over the past few weeks a few of us who have been involved in the MeeGo community infrastructure have been trying to solve a problem relating to MeeGo Apps : apps.meego.com

After a few weeks when it became clear we could not resolve this problem we asked for a deadline when the LF would announce this restriction to the community. Eventually I proposed that the community start discussing this issue with or without an announcement from the LF on Tuesday 2nd August - and here we are.

Last week I suggested that the following statement summed up my understanding and although I asked for an alternative, one did not appear:

"The Linux Foundation have told us in private conversations that they will not permit apps.meego.com to be served from the MeeGo.com infrastructure hosted by them. They do not have the resource at this time to provide a statement giving their reasons. We can not assess what other services may be impacted in the future."

Ibrahim, if you have anything to add we would be grateful.

I have tried to present a factual problem statement and some options at :
http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_Apps/Problem_Statement

Obviously, since we don't know what the problem is, it is hard to work out a solution - but I have proposed some options.

In the meantime we have moved ahead to provide apps.formeego.org (thanks to Thomas for acquiring that domain - see https://bugs.meego.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20531). There are plans being worked on to setup infrastructure to host apps there - the community needs to decide how to manage that infrastructure and domain.

On a personal note I am very disappointed by the Linux Foundation's response to this situation. There has been no open discussion, the verbal reasons provided were vague (although, I must emphasise, I am not doubting that there are valid concerns given the nature of the legal framework in the US) and insufficient effort has been made to assist the community in resolving (or even understanding) this problem - as I mention, since we're not clear about what the reason is we have no idea what other services may be impacted.

David

email cc: meego-community, meego-dev, Quim, Dawn, Niels, Henri, Imbrahim, Brian, Imad
cc: forum.meego.com

I suggest constructive/planning followups should mainly be to the meego.com forum

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lbt View Post
I suggest constructive/planning followups should mainly be to the meego.com forum
David - thank you for posting this thread here. I did not see it before and started a related but different one in the dev mailing list and on the community sub-forum because I see it as a teaching moment for the governance of maemo.org.

Seeing as it has apparently already been decided(?) to "say hello to apps.formeego.org" - I didn't intend then and don't intend now to dissuade people from planning followups on the meego forum. I do wish people would think carefully and give time there to openly discuss the issue before further fragmenting the mobile linux community with another repository.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: