Notices

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Had error message when tried to upgrade modrana install. Look attachement.
Same here. Upgrade failed.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...move /home/user/.modrana to somewhere else, and after upgrading package, move it back.

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Had error message when tried to upgrade modrana install. Look attachement.
I think is the same problem we had before.
mkdir: cannot create directory '/home/user/.modrana/': File exists
Erase that file (as root, using terminal) and try again. Before erase it, it would be useful to attach it here, to see what it has. I erase mine before taking a look at it.

The Following User Says Thank You to lsolano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
The mysterious .modrana file should be renamed options.bin (file that stores current modRana settings) which due to missing / in the postinst script got moved to /home/user and renamed .modrana instead to be moved to /home/user/.modrana/

I have uploaded a newer version - looks like I forgot to first rename the .modrana file before creating the .modrana folder. Let me know if it works now.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
I've just upgraded to 0.27-7, no problems at all so far.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
0.27-7 is fine here too

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by beermad View Post
I think your proposed versioning makes sense. As long as we add any new columns after the existing columns so that if anybody's already using the schema and doing "select(*)" we won't break their code.

Your idea of a hash-like index using separators seems a good idea. My only other thought was to force each of the x,y,z elements to a fixed length (perhaps by adding 1000000 to each, depending on what the biggest number each one could possibly be). But your method makes it more compact.

Then for version 2, your lookup table could be:
Code:
CREATE TABLE tiles (z INTEGER, x INTEGER, y INTEGER, store_filename STRING, extension varchar(10), unix_epoch_timestamp INTEGER, store_tilenumber INTEGER, lookup STRING, PRIMARY KEY(lookup));
CREATE TABLE version (v integer);
CREATE INDEX oldindex on tiles (z,x,y);
For version 3, drop the z,x,y and extension columns as well as the oldindex index.

Version 2 of the tile store could be:
Code:
CREATE TABLE tiles (z INTEGER, x INTEGER, y INTEGER, tile BLOB, extension VARCHAR(10), unix_epoch_timestamp INTEGER, id INTEGER AUTO INCREMENT, PRIMARY KEY(id));
CREATE TABLE version (v integer);
CREATE INDEX oldindex on tiles (z,x,y);
For version 3, drop the oldindex index. You could keep the x,y,z columns in this table for regenerating the lookup table as you mentioned. You could shrink the lookup table a bit more for version 3 by also dropping the epoch_timestamp from it. That would introduce a slight overhead when checking for updated tiles as it would need to be retrieved from the store rather than the lookup. I'm not sure which way would give the best balance of benefits.

So you'd insert the tile in the store first, then retrieve the value of the id column to populate the store_tilenumber column in the lookup table.
Thanks for the new schemas & hints ! I'm not really that much into database design, so this is really helpful. Now I just need to find some more free time to actually implement this.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
May i strongly suggest not using MyDocs and using dirs located directly under $HOME instead? MyDocs is exportable / mountable, so for example if you have connected your N900 via USB to a laptop maybe for copying some files over, you would not be able to use modRana (or any other SW that does this) at the same time and would have to choose between using the SW or copying files.
Vitally important files are already in $HOME (configs and settings storage) or /opt/modrana (turn message substitution rules).
Other files just need to be in MyDocs:
  • map data - $HOME only has 2 GB & sharing with other apps
  • tracklogs - to be accessible through mass storage
  • POI - sharing with Mappero
ModRana should actually work even when the MyDocs partition is not mounted - tiles would download & display just fine, just would not be stored, tracklogs would be unavailable and it would not be possible to store new POI. Well, I have not actually tested this yet but it should work - or can be fixed to work.

@more layers
What is currently precluding adding more map layers (I know about quite a few nice OSM based ones for example) is actually the layer selection method. The current toggle-based one is already barely usable. I'll do something about this and then start adding new layers.

Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
Another question (I guess this is already answered but I didn't find): Is there an easy way to download all needed tiles for an area externally and afterwards just throw them into correct folder on N900? downloading a bunch of some 20k tiles at once is quite hard. My N900 gets quite hot when using 3G-connection that intense.
You can install modRana or for example GMapCatcher on your PC and then transfer the corresponding tile folders to the N900 (to /home/user/MyDocs/.maps/).

Last edited by MartinK; 2011-08-08 at 13:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Yesterday, modRana V0.28-2 has been released.

What's new ?
  • new patch from Gkuenning
    • smart rounding of imperial units for voice output
    • fix for 2 turn announcements sometimes following each other at once
    • unit conversion module improvements
    • improved substitution list & more efficient substitution code
    • Thanks a lot !
  • other improvements:
    • geocoding (address search) GUI - finally!
      Accessible from "Search->address online"
      The current implementation is fully usable, but please note that some advanced features (asynchronous querying, wikipedia search, geocoding service selection) are not yet implemented. Also, when the search returns > 1 results, this first one is currently used.
    • fix for Unicode characters showing only as boxes
    • more readable POI search result list & captions
    • track recording now works again
    • more logically placed cancel button for "in progress" operations
      It is now on the to the right on the blue "in progress" overlay.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Thanks! Already using it

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Why is this software version 0.something?

I think this software is mature enough to have a higher version number. Many people may not try it because 0.27 seems too early developed.

I've been using it for a while now and for me is extremely useful. I live in a country where Nokia Maps does not work well due the lack of map detail and I have to rely on a OpenSource apps like Modrana.

My only complain is how it "talks", but I think it is a eSpeak problem :-)

It is a shame I can not help coding, but if you find it useful, I can translate it into Spanish. I do not know if the texts in modrana UI are hard coded or were thought/designed to be translated.

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps