Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
The command linked to uses sudo to get root permissions. This requires the users password, which is what it is asking for (and for sudo to be setup in the right way). You may not have sudo set up that way - I don't, I installed the package rootsh and use the command 'sudo gainroot' to get root permissions. So to run that command, I would run:

sudo gainroot
apt-get install --reinstall hildon-desktop; killall hildon-desktop
exit

(the last command logs me out of the root account and back into my user account).

I don't know what you do to get root access on your phone though.
it says it cannot be reiinstallation of hildon desktop isn't possible, packages have unmet dependencies...

God i want my old version back, no more of this rotate thing

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
how do i get the original hildon desktop back? (not the cssu one, as op sais in the original post)

can i do it by installing the maemo5-"update" that shows up in the HAM after installing portait mode?

there are too many things that dont really work with that mode yet (especially the image viewer, that doesnt allow rotating pictures properly anymore)

msa, if you are interested in trying the next release of cssu (though I have no idea when that might be), it might be better just to use the orientation lock until then - that would solve the problem with the image viewer etc.

I don't know how to revert to the original hildon desktop. I would probably just reflash and restore from backup.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
i just reinstalled using the .deb from Fremantle SDK packages:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...2.2.140-1+0m5/

It's the only package available for download.

what the hell, anyone know how to get rid of this?

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
use dpkg -i packagename
I will work for sure

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
Originally Posted by jafferkhan View Post
what the hell, anyone know how to get rid of this?
open x-term then type....

Code:
apt-get upgrade
this will upgrade/reinstalled original hildon desktop...after re-installing...reboot!!!

note : this method only works if you havent ping the HDP...if you have ping it then un-ping it so you can upgrade...

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
At those *****ing about uninstalling the rotating desktop (and now wanting to downgrade to the stock CSSU one): Uninstall CSSU, whether by reflashing or whatever other method you can dig up.

A better idea for the future - don't install stuff that's new and shiny, AND, an even better idea than that, don't fiddle with settings you don't understand - i.e. someone's complaining about the image viewer not rotating images correctly - hildon-desktop rotation has nothing to do (at least, it shouldn't) with app rotation. If the image viewer and other apps are autorotating, that means you went into the CSSU features configuration app (or manually did this in the theme/system transition.ini files) and turned on forced rotation - which was intentionally put in there for CSSU developing/testing, not for end users.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-08-05 at 21:27. Reason: clarified

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
at those **** about those who are still learning this software shouldn't **** about it either, if they can't give a solution they should **** or go**** themselves

Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
use dpkg -i packagename
I will work for sure
please put in the entire command, still in the learning process, it's why we need help

The Following User Says Thank You to jafferkhan For This Useful Post: