Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Actually... I have to disagree fully with you. If Nokia USA was able to still accept and process orders, instead of closing up and leaving their sales to Amazon... then Nokia would have still had a process to accept payments, distribute the N9 just as they had with with Nokia N9.

Very little to do with the US cellphone carriers. They've not sold subsidized N-series phones since the crippled N73 by AT&T. But Nokia's decision to shut down Nokia USA and Nokia Canada means that the phone invariably will not be distributed by Nokia directly, nor via US carrier. That's how it's been here in this North American market.

But Nokia is at fault. They should have better sales distribution avenues and they do not.
I saw the other thread now, and Nokia has done some strange things in the past, but this is unprecedented. I still can't believe Nokia would do such a thing, but there are some logics in all that strangeness as well. Nokia isn't selling much in the US, so to focus on one thing makes perfectly sense. With WP they get lots of help from Samsung, HTC and LG, with Harmattan/Symbian they are alone and unwanted and reliable on Ovi.

With all the badmouth Symbian/Ovi has got in the US, it is after all understandable they just want to quit. Harmattan is just an unfortunate casualty.

It is just phones we are talking about here, no real damage done, life goes on. Looking forward to my N9 while enjoying my E6 and my Wave What it all comes down to is that the E6, the N9 and the Wave all are just too good for the land who worship fanboism as a religion IMO.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I think the androids have had better specs for awhile -at lest interms of CPU. The N9 has nicer UI.
probably better stability as well. I've heard good and bad things about android but the way Nokia's going we won't be left with much choice by the end of next year. N9 no matter how amazing won't keep up after time.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jcar302 View Post
Out of curiosity, if there truly isn't a US version of the n9, what are warranty options on an import?
Are we just screwed if it breaks?
Seriously affects if and when i purchase. If it's impossible to warranty, that may be a deal breaker, i certainly wouldn't be an early adopter, that's for sure.
rumors says there will be an US N9 but with wp7 probadly that is the white someone has talked about?

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
It really is not nonsense. In the American model of mobile phone usage, most people do not have more than one device used on the same plan, hell, on the largest US carrier, Verizon, you cannot use two different devices on the same plan without calling to customer service which entails a nice long hold time and then a nice long conversation to explain to the 'service' representative that yes, you actually own your devices and can switch between them. Verizon is also CDMA and does not use sim cards except for a few models.

Given above, in addition to the carrier subsidy model which often includes two year contracts, in addition to the preference of americans for iphones, it does seem the American market is saturated and of no real benefit to Nokia currently.

When verizon switches to LTE(which will operate more like GSM folks are accustomed to) and the carrier subsidy/contract model is defeated in the US, then Nokia may have a chance here.

In my opinion, Nokia is using a a type of cross-plot of carrier power(ie where people are more likely or not to buy or even be able to buy unlocked sim free devices) on one axis and market potential on another axis in deciding where to market and release such a device as the n9.

Not really true, Jobs has always dealt with carriers preferentially, first giving ATT exclusivity not selling any unlocked devices and then also creating a cdma version which is virtually always locked by the cellular technology it uses(will only work on verizon)

Anyway, I too wish that it would be easier for me to get an n9 here in the States, but I understand that it makes total business sense for Nokia to not worry setting up a channel here for the few sales they will receive.
Yea well, I guess the American draconian carrier thing is too surrealistic for me to grasp. But I still don't fully get it. You can purchase unlocked GSM phones, but prefer not to.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by xalted13 View Post
probably better stability as well. I've heard good and bad things about android but the way Nokia's going we won't be left with much choice by the end of next year. N9 no matter how amazing won't keep up after time.
again this depends on region....
N9 may very well have a chance in euurope/asia but I guess this is upto the consumer if they blindly beleive in MrFlop FUD or if they use theyr ownh brain and buys devices after how good it is. people over and over forgets that Meego .is using Qt+Webkiit and so on and this IS still supported both on symbian and. Meego. It doesnt help how much MrFlop and his US fanboys says. Its a fact.

As I said before it looks more and more MrFlop just talks to US people (and also media) and they forgot rest of the world...

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

As I said before it looks more and more MrFlop just talks to US people (and also media) and they forgot rest of the world...
I was just thinking the same issue... US is quite big market, but... US is allready polluted with iThings and the growing market is elsewhere...

But again, WP for US = ok, S40 for emerging economies = ok, N9/linux/meego for future smartphones and after year or three, fully replacing symbian... = ok ? <- Nokia just don't see that...

edit: I forgot (y)

Last edited by catbus; 2011-08-09 at 22:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
A crime has been committed:

Nokia: the N9 isn't coming to America

originating article: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...t-n9-uk-launch
This doesn't surprise me. I'm sure somebody will be happy, though.

Originally Posted by catbus View Post
wait a couple more weeks and N9 is canceled...
This wouldn't surprise me either.

reason is simple. The buildquallity of nokia hw is often better than crap androids even n900 with some broken usb ports sometimes better. for example give me one android with good camera as N8 and N9 (or even n900 sometimes). also N9 has nfc. NFC is a must for me.
Tiny screen, flimsy USB port, flimsy keyboard... naw that is ROCK SOLID Nokia engineering there.

If this rumor are true You americans should nolt blame Nokia. Blame your nice company named Microsoft and also the operators.

Now I really hate Microsoft even more and hope WP7 will fail as hell in european :-(
Surely, we can make room to blame Nokia's board. Surely.

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
When verizon switches to LTE(which will operate more like GSM folks are accustomed to) and the carrier subsidy/contract model is defeated in the US, then Nokia may have a chance here.
Report: Verizon, AT&T LTE phones likely incompatible
While the two carriers will be using the same underlying technology, called Long-Term Evolution, both will be using different frequencies of spectrum, the radio airwaves necessary for transmitting cellular signals. Verizon Wireless representative Brenda Raney confirmed to PC Mag that its phones will run on different frequencies than what AT&T plans to use when it launches LTE in five cities as planned this summer.
Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-200...-incompatible/

Nokia are idiotic, just the same, not to even try to create a market for themselves despite the carrier locking. Samsung, for instance, came in late to the game and is doing an excellent job of covering the entire spectrum. Nokia is clearly a failure and an uncompetitive weakling.

Originally Posted by jcar302 View Post
Out of curiosity, if there truly isn't a US version of the n9, what are warranty options on an import?
Are we just screwed if it breaks?
Seriously affects if and when i purchase. If it's impossible to warranty, that may be a deal breaker, i certainly wouldn't be an early adopter, that's for sure.
If that's actually a concern and you live in the United States of America, I'm not sure why you're considering a Nokia branded product in the first place.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

No theyar are not cause Microsoft controls Nokia in the US...
Proof. I want it. Speculation, I have no need for it. Fanaticism, I have no time for it.

So prove it with facts.

And I begin to realise this is what Elop is talking about when he talking about WP7. He is talkinhg about US and seems forget the rest of the world. Probadly cause its US most stockholders are in?
Disagree. WP7 is the new kid on the block. Microsoft wants to sell it, so they'll have more people using their maps, using Bing, using Live.com, using XBOX 360.

See that? That's called an ecosystem by Elop and others. And guess what? So far, it's not sold well. But it was sold awfully well to the Nokia board of members.

Means Symbian/Meego will still be alive in european/asia. Cause they know it will take some time before they actually have brainwatched US consumers. And when that is done european is next to try.
Better hope Accenture doesn't sell it. Or close it up more. Or just discontinue it. Who knows what they will do with Symbian.

And for a brainwashed set of folks, even the USA'Mericans aren't buying WP7 in mass numbers. So yeah... who's brainwashed? The few folks that bought WP7 in the US, or the entire (and mostly European) Nokia board of directors... seriously. They're about the only people that bought WP7 hook, line and sinker.

Congrats. Nokia's run by people more stupid than Americans.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
The badmouth Symbian/Ovi has got in the US, it is after all understandable they just want to quit. Harmattan is just an unfortunate casualty.
Correction: Symbian/Ovi got no coverage in the US. No marketing. No press. Nothing. If you count Engadget or Gizmodo, then understand that it was up to Nokia to use them as advertising vessels (under the guise of tech blogs nonetheless).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Congrats. Nokia's run by people more stupid than Americans.
Biggest shareholders were worried about US-market... And why? Bcause their are from US...

Well... I just hope that N9 will come available "soon" and would broke markets... And after that, US-market get N9-clone, WP inside...

Have to edit: Lol, "...more stupid than Americans"... d) Canada...

Last edited by catbus; 2011-08-09 at 23:13.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????