Active Topics

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pompey, UK
Originally Posted by brandonc View Post
well you do have some advantages of unlocked phones, you can sign up for service with your own equipment, waiving those fees, and it also protects you from paying mandatory smartphone data plans as they are unable to tell what kind of device it is.
They are entirely able to tell what sort of device it is, from the IMEI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Allocation_Code

The Following User Says Thank You to gordonshowers For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by gordonshowers View Post
They are entirely able to tell what sort of device it is, from the IMEI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Allocation_Code
A cellular provider needs to be looking though. From browsing assorted Internet forums, it appears AT&T and T-Mobile US regularly spot those using Android phones on cheap, "non-smartphone" data plans and force those users up to higher tiers. N900 users, on the other hand, seem to slip by unnoticed. There aren't that many N900s in the United States, and the percentage of those sneaking around on non-smartphone plans is likely such a tiny fraction of a fraction that persuing it isn't worth the effort.

If the N9 isn't released in the US at all, then it would seem the odds are good neither AT&T nor T-Mobile will bother adding its IMEI range to their watch lists.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2011-08-10 at 20:19. Reason: typo correction

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
The N9 is released in all parts of the world where Nokia is large. You know that it's only a couple of months since Symbian was the largest smartphone OS, by far. Still they were nowhere to be seen in the US. The world hasnt really changed all that much since then, only Android becoming popular world wide, thanks to Samsung.

People like you make me glad the N9 wont be seen in the US.
People like me have used and promoted Linux for years. People like me plunk down $650 to pre-order a N900 sight unseen. People like me would buy a N9 just as a show of support for MeeGo if it appeared to have any future at all. I'm tempted to order one anyway for just that reason, even though I really need a hardware keyboard. But realistically I'm not so rich I can blow $750 on a device not suited to my needs just to make a point.

I was only stating the situation as I see it. If that makes me an Ugly American so be it.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
People like me have used and promoted Linux for years. People like me plunk down $650 to pre-order a N900 sight unseen. People like me would buy a N9 just as a show of support for MeeGo if it appeared to have any future at all. I'm tempted to order one anyway for just that reason, even though I really need a hardware keyboard. But realistically I'm not so rich I can blow $750 on a device not suited to my needs just to make a point.

I was only stating the situation as I see it. If that makes me an Ugly American so be it.
Don't even bother man why give money to some ******s that didn't even tell you the truth but gave us some market to market excuse. I wish I could somehow be there when Nokia becomes the latest fail in this joke that has been going on for years and it is called windows for mobile phones.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
The N9 is released in all parts of the world where Nokia is large.
Nokia is large in the UK - and they are not releasing the N9 there

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I bought Nokia phones since 1997. But now I really hope Samsung, HTC and LG will release soon some decent MeeGo phones to show the Nokia 2% WP7 niche market share how the smartphone buisness really works!

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-08-10 at 14:03.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
What does tethering have to do with having a smart phone? The Nokia 6600 had GPRS tethering over bluetooth, and virtually any Nokia feature phone still has that feature ...
Tethering in the US means that you'll get charged. Show me otherwise.

Verizon is stopping illegal tethering same for AT&T. Funny how "illegal tethering" also means that bluetooth tethering without a tethering data plan (which is extra) is inclusive in these crack downs.

Glad you brought up the Nokia 6600. It's 2011. Not 2003. The US carriers are charging for those old features. If you're not American, do more research. If you are American, and getting away with that... please share your secret.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Tethering in the US means that you'll get charged. Show me otherwise.

Verizon is stopping illegal tethering same for AT&T. Funny how "illegal tethering" also means that bluetooth tethering without a tethering data plan (which is extra) is inclusive in these crack downs.

Glad you brought up the Nokia 6600. It's 2011. Not 2003. The US carriers are charging for those old features. If you're not American, do more research. If you are American, and getting away with that... please share your secret.
i am tether happy in my country. =) , though n9 come built with wifi hotspot.

even n900 supports all tetherings,

the thing is finding a "cheap" unlocked imported n9 in america will be hard

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
one word - Newegg

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It's 2011. Not 2003. The US carriers are charging for those old features. If you're not American, do more research. If you are American, and getting away with that... please share your secret.
I thought carriers base on TTL to spot tethering, and it is said there are programs that modify packets to escape detection.
Google 'tethering ttl' for further clarification.

Tags
bada rox, buysomethinelse, facepalm(tm), galactus, goodbye nokia, just stop, n9 rox