Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
As far as I know, there isn't a non-specialized site for tablet fans By default, the closest to that kind of site is mobileread.com, but its focus is book readers and its idea of controversy is something like Top Ten Reads of 2011.
ANYone can create a website devoted to [insert subject of choice here]. Reggie started ITT on his own; nothing stops anyone else from following suit.

And there's always http://www.umpcportal.com/ (which could answer my hypothetical N9 question)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Life will find a way.
But we're so busy wondering if we can that we didn't stop to wonder if we should!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
ANYone can create a website devoted to [insert subject of choice here]. Reggie started ITT on his own; nothing stops anyone else from following suit.

And there's always http://www.umpcportal.com/ (which could answer my hypothetical N9 question)
It's a lot easier to build on momentum than to create momentum out of nothing. When Reggie started this site, the astral forces were aligned in his favor. History is not usually made so much as bent in some new direction.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If we put out the welcome mat for all tablet lovers of all kinds, especially interested in openness and quality and innovation, but not essentially fanboys for anyone, I think we could build a new force for the kind of freewheeling, open computing that is at our roots beyond Nokia or any specific manufacturer.
The simple problem is that there have never been any devices quite like the ones Nokia created running Maemo. Nothing in the mobile space has ever hit that sweet spot that the Maemo devices have occupied.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
It's a lot easier to build on momentum than to create momentum out of nothing. When Reggie started this site, the astral forces were aligned in his favor. History is not usually made so much as bent in some new direction.
When Reggie started ITT, the 770 was the device du jour and a tiny handful of people even knew it existed. I remember very well what it was like-- the 770 was my "baby" at the time and I was heavily involved here when I helped launch the N800. I saw how quickly the site caught fire.

Reggie built on whatever momentum there was at the time, same as someone else would now. There would be little if any real difference. And as I noted, umpcportal.com exists now, anyway, and already supports Nokia devices including the N9.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
@qole,

thanks for your sobering but honest post.
whilst it may seem the end of the line for Maemo, Cordia has shown that parts of it (well fremantle and hildon anyway) have a value that will live on well beyond the hardware it was originally designed for.

My N900 spend more time doing duty running Meego CE these days than it does it's original OS, but I know that eventually, even that will pass as the hardware eventually succumbs to being thrashed. Having said that, I am still delighted when I do boot into Fremantle, and am reminded of the many wonderful things about Maemo that i still don't see in their entirety, in other handset on the market. It goes to show that while the hardware may be aging (dare I say obsolete?), the ideas and the implementation/integration of them into the OS are still up there with the best.

Few Linux based OS's live on in their original guise anyway.

With the Nokia/Intel collaboration, Meego was always going to be the final destination/incarnation and I don't see anywhere, that this will really change.
Despite the lack of firm commitment from any of the other major hardware vendors since Nokia dropped their end of the deal, the industry moves too quickly for any of us here to be able to say with certainty that Meego doesn't offer a great way to escape from the software patent/licensing costs that are being imposed on handset manufacturers by the likes of Google and MS.

Intel's investment in Meego continues across a broad range of devices, and I'm sure that once they release high efficiency x86 architecture that will compete with arm, there will be greater reason to develop a "ecosystem" based on common hardware and OS as opposed to the app-store/advertising ecosystem that handset manufacturers and telcos are trying to convince us is the real one......

If anything, Maemo has proven that Mobile Linux works, and for the time being, that's enough for me.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
I know the N900 is a dead man walking. I know that other hardware will make it redundant and already has. I know that less and less software will be released and the completely stopped all together and this forum will end. But that doesn't stop me trading this Nokia N8 for a Nokia E7, then selling that for £240 and then getting an train journey for an hour just to buy another N900.

Why? Because all of it's flaws are outweighed by the benefits. I mean sure its over for flash for the N900, ah well. The hardware is getting old, but am not the type of guy that buys the newest stuff straight the market, like the N9 I can't afford it really. I'll over clock it to 1GHz and make it last. If the applications stop, I already have all the applications I need.

Am hoping I can make it last long enough for a decent enough device to come and replace it. Maybe Kubuntu Mobile will. I hope it will.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
This time I have to disagree with qole in almost full line.

First of all, I think Maemo Community doesn't have *real* bonds with Nokia for quite long time. Don't fool ourselves, in other places than paperwork, Nokia haven't solved *any* of our problems for ages. IMO, the only cases where we heard about it (not mentioning threads about Nokia, irrelevant in this case), are Council talking with them about some cases (which, most of the time, doesn't bring direct answer to most important questions - like, if it will be possible to mirror Nokia Repositories - no offense to council, at least, not purpose of my post), or thing that Nokia is paying bills for servers.

Second, and IMO most important thing is that Maemo community gathered together around CordiaTAB will be - again, IMO - as good as Maemo community gathered around N900. I don't know why You (qole) try to depreciate that. Especially given fact, that successful concluding CordiaTAb project, may mean designing and creating our own tablet in another 2-3 years, like Open Pandora guys did.

IMO, it's much more important and beneficial for community, than supporting Nokia devices like N9 or N950 (to be honest, I don't think Nokia - as company, not particular workers - deserve that, neither N9 do). Gathering around Nokia-driven "half.meego.harmattan.maemo6.whatsnot-with.swipe.propertiary.ui" Meego approach is proposition of *huge* step back, IMO. Let's gather around projects driven by us (like Cordia and CordiaTAB).

Personally, I couldn't care less about "Meego compliant" mark, but IMO using Meego core with Hildon based UI is just way to go.

// side note:

I think fragmentation of countless discussion "future of meego" is becoming huge problem. Really, can't we talk about that in single thread (banning some "individuals" spamming that discussion with off-topics, we all know who deserves that)?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
maemo, meego, N900, N9 all R.I.P.

This site should be shut down immediately to avoid creating confusion and false hopes.

Good bye.

Last edited by Kajko; 2011-08-16 at 01:46.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
@ Kajko

you still here?
given the moaning N900 = junk posts that you have been so prolific with over the last several months, i would have thought you had moved on long ago.
Last time I checked, there wasn't anyone standing behind me with a gun pointed at my head telling me to keep logging in to the Maemo forum. I could assume that the same goes for you.
opinions are like *****holes, everyone has one and most stink. probably about time you took your smelly one and found a new place for your negativity, we have many others with a much higher post count to replace you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)