Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Question 1

Who:
  • at one point recently had greater cash reserves than the US federal government?
  • is fighting mobile tech patent lawsuits currently?
  • has had to settle patent lawsuits with Nokia before?
  • is a direct competitor of Microsoft and will be seeking to keep all MSFT mobile efforts down?

Answers on an ultra-thin, shiny and wickedly overpriced postcard please.
No, that company has enough weapons in arms to avoid a costly purchase. At least it is definitely not an outsider on mobile market.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by umo120 View Post
Well, the obvious problem for Microsoft is that whoever buys Nokia is also going kill the whole WP7 strategy on first day. If MS waits too long and the price drops again, then someone can try to takeover Nokia and MS ends up in nasty bidding war.
There is an exclusion - Intel. It would definitely not kill WP7 ... and MeeGo too

Originally Posted by jschan View Post
I agree that Nokia seems too big and expensive to buy, but I also realize that Motorola Mobile (MM) is pretty pricey too. Let's break down the numbers:

Google agreed to buy MM and it's 706 patents for $12.5 billion. Nokia has 2,655 patents. Someone mentioned earlier that Nokia would be something like a $30 billion purchase. Patent ratio wise, that would be better value than the MM agreement...
Check you sources - "MM has 706 patents". MM has 17000 patents in mobile area. And that it is not just UI patents but heavy LTE which is a high bandwidth transmission. You can't create high speed mobile device without doing something with RF and LTE.

EDIT: I guess, your table is a number of patents for last year and you miss that in your post.

Last edited by egoshin; 2011-08-16 at 18:05.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
ericsson-- you're saying "never" in that post! And previous ones! so... (please don't get hung up in semantics... I'm talking about the meaning, not wording)

You're also presenting your opinion as fact... and, ironically, illogically to boot. The events you say "make no sense to anyone" do in fact make perfect sense to many, and very strong reasons why have been presented here and elsewhere. No one else is bound by your singular and (sorry) naive take on things.
I know I am right because Microsoft buying Nokia is not based on sound business logic, it is based on feelings. The only reasons you folks are presenting is that Nokia has done so poor lately, Elop is sooo into microsoft - a trojan and so on, no N9 in the US, no more MeeGo - and the latest - Googly purchasing Motorola = Nokia deserves being purchased by Microsoft.

You may be right, Nokia actually deserves being purchased by Microsoft, but that does not make it a viable business proposal. It's still just a load of nonsense.

And by the way, Intel buying Nokia is never going to happen (never meaning during the next 10 years in the mobile world).

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
Hey I thought Nokia Seimens owns a division of Motorola already just last year.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/te...y/20nokia.html

I don't know what's to come of this, but I noticed some similarities between the keypad designs of the Droids and the Nokia Internet Tablets (incl. N900).

// Roth

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
Hey I thought Nokia Seimens owns a division of Motorola already just last year.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/te...y/20nokia.html

I don't know what's to come of this, but I noticed some similarities between the keypad designs of the Droids and the Nokia Internet Tablets (incl. N900).

// Roth
Nothing to do with keypads. NSN bought Motorola's network unit.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I know I am right because Microsoft buying Nokia is not based on sound business logic, it is based on feelings. The only reasons you folks are presenting is that Nokia has done so poor lately, Elop is sooo into microsoft - a trojan and so on, no N9 in the US, no more MeeGo - and the latest - Googly purchasing Motorola = Nokia deserves being purchased by Microsoft.

You may be right, Nokia actually deserves being purchased by Microsoft, but that does not make it a viable business proposal. It's still just a load of nonsense.

And by the way, Intel buying Nokia is never going to happen (never meaning during the next 10 years in the mobile world).
I'm just going to reiterate once more and I'm done with this silliness:

You're wrong.

There IS sound logic, presented in numerous sober analyses... and it's purely your opinion, not fact, to the contrary. You're also wrong in being so absolute. As an outside individual there is no way you have conclusive knowledge one way or the other on what Microsoft or Intel will do next vis-a-vis Nokia. You're additionally wrong to speak for others in saying "no one" believes such things can or will happen. That should be self-obvious. Finally, you're wrong to limit the scope of anyone else's reasoning. For many, the "trojan" allegation never enters into the analysis.

Four ways you're wrong out of the gate... based simply on logic and reasoning, ironically.

So...

• It is entirely possible that Microsoft or Intel could buy Nokia
  • It is even probable that they would

What's fun is that if I'm wrong no big deal; I'm just speaking in terms of possibilities and probabilities. If you're wrong, it's absolute.

/done trying to shine light for you

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Alright, Google want patents, but this is the real reason...

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4145...-phone-7-plans

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post

Funny when you in June said that Nokia would never announce a Meego device....

I think you doing the same mistake now....

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm just going to reiterate once more and I'm done with this silliness:

You're wrong.

There IS sound logic, presented in numerous sober analyses... and it's purely your opinion, not fact, to the contrary. You're also wrong in being so absolute. As an outside individual there is no way you have conclusive knowledge one way or the other on what Microsoft or Intel will do next vis-a-vis Nokia. You're additionally wrong to speak for others in saying "no one" believes such things can or will happen. That should be self-obvious. Finally, you're wrong to limit the scope of anyone else's reasoning. For many, the "trojan" allegation never enters into the analysis.

Four ways you're wrong out of the gate... based simply on logic and reasoning, ironically.

So...

• It is entirely possible that Microsoft or Intel could buy Nokia
  • It is even probable that they would

What's fun is that if I'm wrong no big deal; I'm just speaking in terms of possibilities and probabilities. If you're wrong, it's absolute.

/done trying to shine light for you
You are not discussing the matter, only the semantics. Besides, who are you to judge how absolute my absolutes are? I mean, my absolutes may be more relative than your possibilities and probabilities according to your logic.

It is entirely possible that Microsoft or Intel could buy Nokia, but the probability is zero from a practical real world point of view, and the possibility does not contain any sound business logic. There is a possibility that the major investors are getting cold feet, that possibility cannot be denied, but it is also impossible to confirm or anticipate, and it has nothing to do with sound business logic. If anything, the Google-Motorola purchase is a very good foot-warmer for Nokia investors.

Last edited by ericsson; 2011-08-16 at 18:49.

Tags
gogle-mogle, google motorola, motogoogle, motogrogle, never say never