Active Topics

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Thanks Mojo, excellent, reasonable analysis. Breath of fresh air.
I only say that because speculating to intensely doesn't yield the same outcome all the time. Nokia is a hot real estate, but who will blink first to make a move.

We all remember when Palm was bought by HP. A very few saw that, a huge majority was taken a back by it ... heck I never saw it coming. So as much as the smart money is on Samsung, Intel and MS, we can't take it for granted that some company with money will swoop in from left field that we didn't even consider at the time.

So with that in mind, who cares ... just buy the stock while its low and let the speculations make you some money ... it would be nice to remember Nokia as the company who made you some marginal profits rather than the tech company who failed to deliver on the promise of 'Connecting People'.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
If Nokia management decides to split off the network division, Nokia will definitely be sold to Microsoft, and the management will just be making preparations.
Ok, I'm willing to indulge your theory. Why do you say the above, especially definitely? Couldn't Nokia spawn off their share of NSN and then the handset business be sold to another party, like Intel? Or am I missing some context?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
What will be clear is if Nokia was to sell. Only the mobile division seems to be on the chopping block. Nokia will exist but no longer as a Phone maker.
This I think is the best option left for Nokia, assuming that Elop and the dinosaurs* are included in the puchase. Remaining Nokia would then have the billions it has now and the billions it would get from the sale. It could then use those billions + IP portfolio + remaining R&D to reinvent itself with new management. Like Nokia has already done many times since 1876.

*None of whom Elop has sacked so far. The parade of incompetents (Aho, Mcdowell,Savander, Harlow et al.) are all still with their comfy posts, while the people who had a clue have left. This particular Elop failure has remained mostly unnoticed, understandable considering that there has been plenty of other reasons to be upset.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
There is an exclusion - Intel. It would definitely not kill WP7 ... and MeeGo too
Why would Intel (or anyone else) want to keep WP7? It's clear that Nokia is tanking because of Elop's WP7 love affair. The creation of WP "ecosystem" for Microsoft will cost Nokia billions and even if miracle happens, thanks to the "balanced" deal Nokia will end up with absolutely nothing, just fighting Chinese manufacturers on price thus facing inevitable slow death.

The Following User Says Thank You to umo120 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Check you sources - "MM has 706 patents". MM has 17000 patents in mobile area. And that it is not just UI patents but heavy LTE which is a high bandwidth transmission. You can't create high speed mobile device without doing something with RF and LTE.

EDIT: I guess, your table is a number of patents for last year and you miss that in your post.
Interesting. I pulled that image from a CNET story posted about 8 hours ago. I would like to read up on the 17000 patents though, where did you say you saw that?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
OK, not one but two unsubstantiated and irrelevant claims here. Is that all you got for supporting your lunatic stand that Microsoft will purchase Nokia?
Seems you are lost in thread - I never "stand that Microsoft will purchase Nokia". I just took attention that it is Intel who could benefit from acquiring mobile phone company.

Personally I think M$ doesn't buy Nokia ... because of some economics.

EDIT: In case of M$ buy Nokia the lawsuits against this sell off and against Mr.Elop can be myriad and last forever and costly. Because it is too obvious the breach of trust for shareholders and intentional value lose.

Last edited by egoshin; 2011-08-16 at 20:28.

Originally Posted by jschan View Post
Interesting. I pulled that image from a CNET story posted about 8 hours ago. I would like to read up on the 17000 patents though, where did you say you saw that?
Wow! The whole business world full of it!

Just one ref - http://www.forbes.com/sites/mobiledi...st-concerns/2/

"Motorola has about 17,000 approved patents and another 7,500 pending approval, a collection substantially larger than the group of patents recently sold at Canadian based-Nortel Networks’ bankruptcy auction, which were snapped up in June by a consortium of mostly Android competitors, including Apple and Microsoft, for a whopping $4.5 billion."

I think, CNET man just counted some specific patents for mobile smartphones (mostly - UI). But he simplified too much and dropped all radio/LTE/electronics patents out of picture and didn't say you about it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by umo120 View Post
Why would Intel (or anyone else) want to keep WP7?
Just take a difference - "wants keep" vs "can keep". Intel can keep WP7 because it has a full infrastructure of relationship with M$, a lot of ready decisions "how to do" for Windows etc. For Intel it would be a simple and non-expensive to switch Nokia's/M$ WP7 developers to Intel-based CPU from ARM.

(The competitiveness of Intel CPUs is another issue but it is inside Intel and should be solved in any way... if Intel wants mobile market)

Does Intel want? I don't know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Armchair CEOs on this thread. I think that Ericsson is again correct that chances of nokia being purchased are very low. The whole stock price rise by a small amount by the way, is a work of speculators. Nokia is already in bed with MS. MS needs to deliver on their own with their ecosystem and OS, buying a loser such as
Nokia will not help it. I would be happy either way. Takeover means I will male some money off NOKIA stocks and if not, I will still male money with Nokias push with MS into the US market. Win win for me

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Armchair CEOs on this thread. I think that Ericsson is again correct that chances of nokia being purchased are very low. The whole stock price rise by a small amount by the way, is a work of speculators. Nokia is already in bed with MS. MS needs to deliver on their own with their ecosystem and OS, buying a loser such as
Nokia will not help it. I would be happy either way. Takeover means I will male some money off NOKIA stocks and if not, I will still male money with Nokias push with MS into the US market. Win win for me
Naysayers, especially the absolutists, seem to be completely ignoring what's been going on this year.

Would you have seen Microsoft buying Skype last year?

Would you have seen Google buying Motorola last year?

I'm betting not. We're in a patent-driven Singularity right now, where all bets are off-- even some seemingly rational ones. Tech companies are spending billions on other tech companies on pure defensive motives-- THAT is profound.

Nokia is very close to a make-or-break position, stock-wise, and the longer it hovers there the more likelly SOMEone is going to make a play for all or part of the company. Again, the assets are just too attractive... especially at today's bargain share price... and companies with a vested interest in Nokia's success, like Microsoft, HAVE to be nervous right now.

Just watch.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
gogle-mogle, google motorola, motogoogle, motogrogle, never say never