Active Topics

Well, lets start porting most used maemo apps to Meego.

The Following User Says Thank You to codecxbox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
That is the worst decision I ever saw. It seems like a scam. They could change the dns of one subdomain if they didn't want to host the apps by themselves. This name is just like the counterfeit batteries that are identical with the original but say for nokia with really small letters.

What a disappointment...

EDIT: meegocommunity.org would be way better
Hehe, well, it's just a name. If you think meegocommunity is better you should go and suggest it.

Edit: Thread here: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4051
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-08-17 at 00:37.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by codecxbox View Post
Well, lets start porting most used maemo apps to Meego.
That's what the 250+ folks with the N950 are supposed to be doing.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That's what the 250+ folks with the N950 are supposed to be doing.
And that is what we ARE doing. Everything have to be rewritten in qml though as gtk and qt will not work very well on meego/harmattan. But the BIG problem is that there are no community repos up yet. Formeego.org is still on the planning stage and it's only about a month left to the N9 is released and it would be VERY lame if only ovistore worked then.

Edit: Nokia gave out 300 N950 to community devs. All 300 should be listed here when devices are recieved: http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Offi...okia#Completed
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-08-17 at 00:55.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
So the general consensus is to move over to meego in one way or another. In that light, maybe the best choice for device is the N9 maybe without harmattan but with Cordia over Meego CE. That could help the porting of applications from fremantle as no redesign will be needed.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
And that is what we ARE doing.
sigh

I knew I should have worded that differently.

Allow me to avoid a total **** storm by correcting myself before any other semantic-laden, possibly misconstrued comments come forward - not saying that Xerxes2 has done that (he hasn't) I just do not want to give ammo to those looking for it.

The 250+ people with the Nokia N950 are doing tasks that will bring the most popular, most used and new functionality/applications/libraries/programs/protocols/games/stuff I didn't name in this list from Maemo to MeeGo.

They're very busy doing just that. I do not think they're slacking off, nor do I think they will not deliver.

My prior statement was to answer the prior question of what should be done - bring stuff to MeeGo from Maemo. That's already happening.

We can't see the fruits of their labors quite yet, but we shall.

Now, with that said... the end is coming. I think we knew that it would in one way or another under the appointment of Elop and his disregard of MeeGo. The exodus of certain folks, the drop of activity in Maemo and the "surge" of MeeGo seems to signal the end of TMO.

What to do? I guess some folks are randomly assuming that continued antagonizing folks will get something done.

Nope.

Find something constructive to do. Even if it's to sit on the sidelines and let folks with history, ability and realistic options and let them talk unencumbered. Let them... random insertions of nonsensical whims don't exactly help.

Hell, until now, even my dumb self has been quiet. Back to my response...

Everything have to be rewritten in qml though as gtk and qt will not work very well on meego/harmattan. But the BIG problem is that there are no community repos up yet. Formeego.org is still on the planning stage and it's only about a month left to the N9 is released and it would be VERY lame if only ovistore worked then.
Sounds like quite the set of obstacles. Good luck with overcoming them all.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
We can't see the fruits of their labors quite yet, but we shall.
You can see the fruits of my labour, if you like (links are in my sig).

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
And that is what we ARE doing. Everything have to be rewritten in qml though as gtk and qt will not work very well on meego/harmattan.
Oh, no! Can you elaborate here - what is a problem with GTK?

If it is not a standard X11 then the attractiveness of N9 falls down rapidly...

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
So the general consensus is to move over to meego in one way or another. In that light, maybe the best choice for device is the N9 maybe without harmattan but with Cordia over Meego CE. That could help the porting of applications from fremantle as no redesign will be needed.
FWIW, even with Cordia, rebasing all apps on top of stock GTK+ + Hildon (and modern GCC's, etc..) would probably be needed. Same problem exists for CE, as you'd have to move on to Qt/QML (or the buggy Qt style layer for normal qt apps). So that part of things isn't great in either approach.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:
I really feel qwazix and tekki have offered the best dose of practical way forward...

for one, I truly believe to make this sustainable we need a large user base, and that is not possible with 300 of us getting cordiatab and developing on it.... we need to partner with an established handset manufacturer (preferably those already part of Meego like LTE or LG) and bring Meego as a truly Open Source Mobile computing environment to the masses...
That way
1. We can let the manufacturer take care of hardware
2. We concentrate on making Meego usable
3. Get a sizeable userbase who test software, and make it a bigger movement.

With a smaller movement, or with no hardware partner, we are sure to die.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)