Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Exactly my point because no hardware to write too then it will not work simple as that.

I keep asking on this thread.... WHAT DEVICE will be used for progress on anything software wise and as the N900 is near on EOL but we still get no answers.

We need to know what manufacturer this software development is going to pair with !!!.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-08-17 at 05:25.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Exactly my point because no hardware to write too then it will not work simple as that.

I keep asking on this thread.... WHAT DEVICE will be used for progress on anything software wise and as the N900 is near on EOL but we still get no answers.

We need to know what manufacturer this software development is going to pair with !!!.
I disagree that we need to pick. It's a failure to rely on a specific device in any kind of long term effort. Go for multiple hardware adaptations, one OS Core shared amongst them all and a UI on top. Applications made for the OS Core will run on those different hardwares as the applications aren't made specifically for one specific device.

Start out with hardware we have (N900) and be able to move on to other devices over time by adding more hardware adaptations. CordiaTab would be a nice target as well.

Last edited by tekki; 2011-08-17 at 05:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by tekki View Post
... It's a failure to rely on a specific device in any kind of long term effort. Go for multiple hardware adaptations...
Could you estimate how many man-hours are needed to build an hardware adaptation layer?

The Following User Says Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
Could you estimate how many man-hours are needed to build an hardware adaptation layer?
It really depends on a number of factors. Take the beagleboard. What you would need there is a working Linux kernel, add in GLESv2/EGL drivers and you'd probably be able to bring up to UI. MeeGo's fairly good for hardware adaptation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I disagree that we need to pick. It's a failure to rely on a specific device in any kind of long term effort. Go for multiple hardware adaptations, one OS Core shared amongst them all and a UI on top. Applications made for the OS Core will run on those different hardwares as the applications aren't made specifically for one specific device.

Start out with hardware we have (N900) and be able to move on to other devices over time by adding more hardware adaptations.
For the sake of this community and to save Maemo.org as it is right now you will need to keep people interested to keep the numbers up.

I am all for your suggestions and qwazix also as this seems to be the most practical way as IcyMoustache also reiterated BUT to keep the numbers as high as possible and for software development to have the interest it needs, there has to be hardware related discussions as well.

This community has florished with Nokia devices and will it stay Nokia as far as hardware is concerned ? and now we have the possibility of adding other devices.

Bring in devices like LG or whatever manufacturer will go with MeeGo will bring a new lease of life here.

Also remember Maemo is not dead yet and neither is the N900 by a long shot (i can keep my main 900 alive for years to come) and the N9 being already MeeGo based, now add more devices from other manufacturers, this community is going to widen it's approach all round and bring in new interest globally.

I can see this working .

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-08-17 at 06:01.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
FWIW, even with Cordia, rebasing all apps on top of stock GTK+ + Hildon (and modern GCC's, etc..) would probably be needed. Same problem exists for CE, as you'd have to move on to Qt/QML (or the buggy Qt style layer for normal qt apps). So that part of things isn't great in either approach.
I was talking about redesign not recoding. You probably are right about the code, but the effort put into a good design is a significant part of the total effort (if the app is designed nicely that is, not if a bunch of widgets were thrown on the canvas randomly)

And by design I don't mean just the layout, but also the logic. You are going to click the item click delete and then a confirmation popup will pop up? that does not cater for multiple deletions. Will you click delete then each item you want to delete? How can I get rid of the annoying popup?

That kind of design

you can be required to click twice on an item to really delete it - thus, no popup

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ France
Aava Mobile could be really nice http://www.aavamobile.com/downloads.php
Edit: Does someone know their projects?

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
It really depends on a number of factors. Take the beagleboard. What you would need there is a working Linux kernel, add in GLESv2/EGL drivers and you'd probably be able to bring up to UI. MeeGo's fairly good for hardware adaptation.
Sounds trivial, eh? I have been doing that for nearly a year. This is currently paused (as most other adaptations are) since MeeGo/Arm switched to so the so called hardfp and all the closed source driver pieces and bits required to setup GLES are typically not available in a hardfp compatible form.

So for now MeeGo is barely portable to any arm based platform.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Is that device buyable? I'd love to have one even if it means I carry a car battery with me...

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Unfortunately the TI OMAP Zoom is way too large. But the overall "hardware bundle" is quite nice.

EDIT: And _expensive_ too:
$1499 Recommended Resale

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-08-17 at 12:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)