Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
So as a conclusion, what in the N810 will be an update, in the N800 will be an official release...strange is we are talking about the same thing with different names...or not?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Moby View Post
But does it really matter?

If a user treats it as beta, or not, what difference does it make to them. They may still experience bugs, crashes etc.
If N800 users actively make the decision to use a beta product (OS 2008) they should accept the good and bad that comes with that decision - ie. little support and lots of bugs but early access to new features. Report the bugs, or at least mention them quietly somewhere but no beta tester should complain loudly about or be suprised to find bugs in a beta product - it's the nature of the beast.

On the other hand, owners of the N810 have no choice in the matter as there is only one OS version for their product, therefore the OS cannot be a Beta product, be of low quality or be poorly supported. Users have every right to complain loudly about bugs.

OS 2008 on N800 is beta - file a bug if there is a problem and hopefully it will be fixed in time for the official release.

If OS 2008 on N810 is full of bugs, or is poorly supported, Nokia should be ashamed. Fortunately, it seems to be a fairly good first release. As for support, it's probably as good/bad as ever!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by akd View Post
So as a conclusion, what in the N810 will be an update, in the N800 will be an official release...strange is we are talking about the same thing with different names...or not?
I agree, it is strange but that's the current situation - OS 2008 on N810 is official, OS 2008 on N800 is beta. It's all about perception from Nokia's point of view IMHO.

What we have on N800 is a beta, and for that I'm actually quite grateful as it's allowed us to find quite a few bugs which have now been mopped up pretty quickly in time for an official release.

It's obvious that many of these bugs will also be present in the existing OS 2008 for N810, so that product will be improved also. The reality is that OS 2008 for N810 is also a beta, but was "good enough" for the product to ship and gain official status rather than be delayed another month.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
OK Milhouse; just want the N800 OS2008 becomes official, so we can end the double names stuff D

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
On the other hand, owners of the N810 have no choice in the matter as there is only one OS version for their product, therefore the OS cannot be a Beta product, be of low quality or be poorly supported. Users have every right to complain loudly about bugs.
Well said. I for one fall into the "disappointed" camp. I may have reached my wits' end today - yet another crash of Notes which deleted some rather important thoughts I had in advance of a meeting this morning. Combined with the fact that I can't get Email to launch and all the other little niggles in the system, I'm feeling very much like a beta-tester who paid dearly for that privilege.

Sure, early adopters can expect a few problems, and I'm willing to give Nokia some time to fix some stuff. But c'mon - my Palm III performed better on core applications! There's no excuse for Nokia to release buggy, slow software at this point.

I'm debating whether or not to return this defective product to teach Nokia a lesson or just bite the bullet and wait for updates that may or may not fix the problems. I'm a sucker, and I'll probably wait. But I'll be mad while I do.

[QUOTE=weatherman;107180]Well said. I for one fall into the "disappointed" camp. I may have reached my wits' end today - yet another crash of Notes which deleted some rather important thoughts I had in advance of a meeting this morning. Combined with the fact that I can't get Email to launch and all the other little niggles in the system, I'm feeling very much like a beta-tester who paid dearly for that privilege.
QUOTE]

That's was my point when started this thread...

Last edited by akd; 2007-12-11 at 15:43.

It sounds like a lot of venting is taking place here. I hear you, since venting is nice to be done with fellow end-users who can reply in kind, but it's useless here as opposed to being done with the knowledge of Nokia. I don't know how their customer support is with passing messages like these up the ranks, but if the same energy and time is put into complaining to Nokia as has been put in on these forums, they are bound to at least take note of it.

By the way, I'm guilty of the same thing, but I've had a month of dealing with customer support from a handful of different companies and need a break.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
@Weatherman

Personally I would just wait another week, as I really think you will see a new release for both the N800 and N810. They have been actively working on bugs posted to bugzilla, and I can't imagine them releasing that only for the N800. But really you shouldn't be seeing Notes crash or E-mail unable to launch. It does make me think your unit needs a reflashing or *could* have a hardware issue. I just wouldn't reflash with the current image without giving it a little time here. I think it's due soon.