Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Having qt exclusively is a good thing for a vendor, but for developer it means lack of alternative since the vendor also controls the qt framework.
Qt is open I dont think Nokia will ever try to close it again. Actually it has been more opensourced recenly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Qt is open I dont think Nokia will ever try to close it again. Actually it has been more opensourced recenly.
Nokia never tried to close Qt, doing so would be futile due to the agreement established before they ever bought Trolltech. It has been opened even more though, which is always good.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
IF the community has to rely on any company for anything at all then it will fall flat on its face for sure.

One thing this community HAS learned from Nokia , should be never to have to rely on another team to do the work.

OK i will edit this post to say they SHOULD have learned from the fiasco with Nokia .
looks like youre the one who willing to pay the bill for the servers etc...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Nokia never tried to close Qt, doing so would be futile due to the agreement established before they ever bought Trolltech. It has been opened even more though, which is always good.
Yes, that is the present situation, are you sure about the future?

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-21 at 23:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Yes, that is the present situation, are you sure about the future?
http://www.kde.org/community/whatisk...foundation.php

And even then, they can't un-GPL what was GPL'd already.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Everyone should watch the last episode of Linux Action Show http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/1...ux-las-s18e03/

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Garage is more than the hosted code. It is the hosted code, the documentation, the bugs and the posts, at the very least all of it whould have to be mirrored in its current form to allow search engines to work. We can lose the services and go elsewere, but not the site.
The site itself isn't needed if appropriate services to migrate to are found and there is a clear timetable and assistance to projects.

Bug tracking's been deprecated for ages, and hardly anyone uses Garage's news or forum features.

The biggest gap to my mind are the mailing lists. Migration of svn (including exposing the repo databases) or git are straightforward; as are bugs (where used). Is groups.google.com the best alternative for arbitrary mailing lists? If someone found, and documented, and assisted, we could start migrating off Garage sooner rather than later.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The biggest gap to my mind are the mailing lists. Migration of svn (including exposing the repo databases) or git are straightforward; as are bugs (where used). Is groups.google.com the best alternative for arbitrary mailing lists? If someone found, and documented, and assisted, we could start migrating off Garage sooner rather than later.
freelists.org is also pretty good IMO

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
To whom this may concern, I've set up N8x0 Doomsday repositories topic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
By reading some posts it looks like some people are still in denial of the fact that maemo is dead. Yeah I know that harmattan technically is maemo6 but it's called meego in marketing so better stick to that. The question is not if we should move to meego but when and where. There is not much said yet about formeego.org, who will sponsor it and whatnot but i still think that tmo should move there. Project hosting is not really necessary anymore as there are plenty of other nice places for that.

Edit: Anybody knows what's up with the meego.org domain? It looks really lame now. If it's just a hijacker couldn't LF sue them or something and take back the domain and give it to the maemo.org community?

Edit2: Some progress on http://apps.formeego.org/ it seems.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-08-22 at 23:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)