Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
The difference is that of a phone that can do things, and as already said, a full tablet computer that is also a mobile phone.

As long as "master" that is supposed to be the core of the system, and "clients" that interface to this / these - you are in a hierarchy similar to how Marx described society.

If you have seen the light, treasure freedom and do not trust Big Brother to choose for you, you will not accept to rely on any "Ecosystem" what so ever. If Nokia goes with WP7, they will be told a lesson by us the free.

Why not define a "Smartphone" to be a mobile that can run OpenOffice or a database system like any other PC?

That leaves one phone in the market - the N900.

I got my first Nokia 9000 Comunicator in 1996, and browsed the WEB in Beijing when the FCC was along to sell CDMA networks to China. I had the Innolink "Office" equivalents installed and a stack of games. Apple has to be better than Nokia 15 years ago, not only in fancy games and color screens, but real functionality that we need on the road.
So, get me the "Planner" application, a 3D model viewer, a SAP interface and a full Oracle. Why not, it is essential to update the inventory when stock is delivered or taken out, file expense reports and deliver the completed Acceptance Test logg duly signed. It is wonderful to fax to the hotel confirmation that I am coming afterall. Do not expect me to call them, and wait for the receptionist... I want a Smart Phone, and do not accept that Big Brother Steve or Bill or anyone to be able to read my emails.

Marx is dead - the N900 lives.

Get a iPhone out of the two. However if you want a under powered pen test tool to crack wep and steal passwords with a crappy resistive touch screen that has no official support by Nokia and a USB conector that will eventually break off get the n900. I have one but that thing is showing its age. Android might be a good option.

There is always better and a jailbroken iPhone is a better experience out the 2 and if you want new apps don't bother with n900 unless you know how to cross compile. You'll be dependent on devs on forums like these

You might as well buy a HP touchpad for $99 if you go for a n900. There is a reason its so cheap..,

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancau...touchpad-dont/

Last edited by bass800; 2011-08-22 at 15:32.

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by tobymansell View Post
Hi there people.

What would be a better device to have that can do a lot more overall?
Has the iphone now beaten the n900 in it's features?
would a jailbroken iphone be able to do much more than an n900? What makes the n900 so special?
Plus when it says that the jailbroken iphone can run 3rd party software is that only apple made software or windows made software too?

thanks.
Theres only one way to find out!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Moscow
Why do people think resistive touchscreen = crappy? N900 screen is far from crappy, even better than some capacitive I've seen. It's pressure sensitive and more accurate than any capacitive screen. Try MyPaint with an iPhone, oh wait, you can't.

Mine N900 works as new, and this community > Nokia support.

There is always better and a jailbroken iPhone is a better experience out the 2 and if you want new apps don't bother with n900 unless you know how to cross compile. You'll be dependent on devs on forums like these
It may be legal (in US it is, i think), but it still voids the warranty. You can't update until jailbreak is available for that update or you'll get yourself an iBrick, unless you know how to hack that new firmware. You'll be dependent on people on forums like these
How's that any different?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silvarum For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Silvarum View Post
Why do people think resistive touchscreen = crappy? N900 screen is far from crappy, even better than some capacitive I've seen. It's pressure sensitive and more accurate than any capacitive screen. Try MyPaint with an iPhone, oh wait, you can't.

Mine N900 works as new, and this community > Nokia support.

It may be legal (in US it is, i think), but it still voids the warranty. You can't update until jailbreak is available for that update or you'll get yourself an iBrick, unless you know how to hack that new firmware. You'll be dependent on people on forums like these
How's that any different?
you're not getting the point... App development. apps make any device, hardware as well, but clearly the hardware is outdated here, which leaves app develop - good gracious, i can install a theme and change my icons on my n900 with out a jailbreak - who cares, you still don't have great apps to run on, nor will you ever get an updated maemo os. no one wants to develop on something that's dead and will never get an update. you can still buy apps without jailbreaking iphone... so you're not dependent on people from these forums... there are real developers creating apps for iphone and android... no crappy cross-compiled apps that never get bug fixes. all i see on this forum is request for apps that all either devices have a million years ago. so do your homework before commenting.

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Iphone vs n900...score 0-8
Chuck Norris said it, so you better believe it.

Originally Posted by bass800 View Post
you're not getting the point... App development. apps make any device, hardware as well, but clearly the hardware is outdated here, which leaves app develop - good gracious, i can install a theme and change my icons on my n900 with out a jailbreak - who cares, you still don't have great apps to run on, nor will you ever get an updated maemo os. no one wants to develop on something that's dead and will never get an update. you can still buy apps without jailbreaking iphone... so you're not dependent on people from these forums... there are real developers creating apps for iphone and android... no crappy cross-compiled apps that never get bug fixes. all i see on this forum is request for apps that all either devices have a million years ago. so do your homework before commenting.
What kind of apps is the N900 missing out of the box or developed here? Apps don't make a phone good. They just make it last longer, since with a new app you'll tinker with the phone all the time. I need a phone for calls, texting, email, browsing and some form of boredom braker, (avi playback, games). Good luck with iTunes also.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
What is "Windows made software" anyway?
Software made by windows or software mad for windows or both... lol

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Here is the nutshell in my opinion:

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2...-just-an-itoy/

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
What kind of apps is the N900 missing out of the box or developed here? Apps don't make a phone good. They just make it last longer, since with a new app you'll tinker with the phone all the time. I need a phone for calls, texting, email, browsing and some form of boredom braker, (avi playback, games). Good luck with iTunes also.
those are all apps you've mentioned on a os. phone app to make phone calls, sms app to send text message and dont let me start... short term memory lose maybe... umm... no mms app on the n900 at launch... these are all apps. so apps are the main reason for owning a phone or any device aside from the hardware. ie. windows os = avid, osx = final cut / different strokes for different folks. but these are apps. apps are not only games. n900 may have been an ok device with ok hardware with ok apps, but sorry to burst your bubble but its over, just like the 286, 386, 486 and webos.

Last edited by bass800; 2011-08-22 at 17:42.

Tags
epic thread, ffs! not again!, i-tard, shoot tobymanse