Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Another good place to look is by typing "cheapest gps" in the forums search box.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=cheapest+gps

I saw a Pharos i500 GPS (PT250) on Dell for $65 after $10 rebate. I had one of these I used with my Axim X50v and it paired fine through BT with my N800. It was very accurate for as little work as it took me to get it paired and working with MaemoMapper. I've also found this unit to have an excellent battery. We have had it over a year (last Christmas), and though, I have rarely used it, I haven't charged it once in the last year and was still able to get it to work with my N800 last week and drive around for a while to test it. I don't know if this is typical, as it's only rated for 11 hrs of battery under continuous use. The specs don't state how long the standby is, but evidently, it's a LONG time!

I have a related question, for those using the N800 as a navigation device. Can any recommend a good car mount to either fix the N800 to the dashboard or the windshield of your car? I understand the mount in Car Navigation Kit for the N800 has good reviews, but I haven't been able to find that specific car mount anywhere, from Nokia or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by ranasing View Post
I have a related question, for those using the N800 as a navigation device. Can any recommend a good car mount to either fix the N800 to the dashboard or the windshield of your car? I understand the mount in Car Navigation Kit for the N800 has good reviews, but I haven't been able to find that specific car mount anywhere, from Nokia or elsewhere.
http://www.proclipusa.com

Cheers!

So the following web site has a cheesy name but it also has ratings and helpful forums about a lot of GPS devices (including stand-alone and Bluetooth):
http://www.buygpsnow.com

I personally use a Nokia LD-3W with my Nokia N800 because it came with the Nokia Navigation Kit I bought. However, I wanted to play around with GPS on my Bluetooth-enabled phone too, so I bought the Holux M-1200 Bluetooth GPS device too. Price is reasonable at $60 before tax and shipping. I haven't tried it with the N800 yet but it works alright with my phone. The big pluses for me are that it fits on my keychain (it's pretty stinkin' small) AND it charges via a mini USB cable. (-: I'd say it's roughly the size of a Bic lighter. Maybe a little thicker.

Anyway, have a look around that site as a launchpad for comparison shopping d-: But truth be told, their prices are very competitive. Even when compared to the likes of eBay (I shudder at the thought of electronic fakes).

EDIT:
The Holux M-1200 I mentioned above has free USPS shipping in continental USA using code "M1200". (says so on the product page)

EDIT 2:
Thought I'd add some more details. The Holux M-1200 appears to be the successor to the older Holux GPSlim 240. It has the same form factor but it uses a MTK chipset instead of SiRF III. The reported advantage of the MTK chipset is lower power consumption (longer battery life).

The Holux M-1200 is definitely smaller than the Holux M-1000 (same generation) that is mentioned in these forums, but it does not have user-replaceable batteries like its larger sibling.

Last edited by calador; 2007-12-12 at 09:45.

In fact I posted this question for a car-mount and not for a bluetooth GPS (I already bought a nokia LD-3W). There is an answer about http://www.proclipusa.com, thank you, but this is in the USA and rather expensive. Is there any other solutions for a N800 car mounts ?

Last edited by milou38; 2007-12-12 at 13:21.

Originally Posted by ShyBoy View Post
I don't think so that there is any bluetooth GPS for less than $10.00
" Gadgetguy " probably joking.

You will see the price somwhere between $40-$80, depending on the chip.
Sorry - I misunderstood. I thought you want to buy a support (holder) for the N800, so that it can be used in a car as a GPS unit (attached for exampe to the windshield). It is the windshield or vent mount that can be found on ebay for about $10 - not the GPS itself.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It's not obvious what country you are in, though I guess the implication that you are not in the US really narrows it down a lot...

I bought http://www.buygpsnow.com/GlobalSat-B...328)__916.aspx few weeks ago and I like it. For my sedan I am using a free windshield mount (free when you buy a GPS) and it works well for me (I had to rotate PDA holder 90 degrees to hold N800 at top and bottom).

The Following User Says Thank You to virx14 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It's not obvious what country you are in, though I guess the implication that you are not in the US really narrows it down a lot...
Yea, you'd think they would put a location spot in the user profile.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.