Originally Posted by e-dawg View Post
My N900 broke and the Nokia care center returned me a brand new n8.
Don't accept it. It's an inferior product. You won't get it, but demand an N9. Let them know there is demand for more powerful units.

Oh, and do mention that you really think an acceptable replacement would have been the N950.

Last edited by volt; 2011-09-01 at 07:33.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by oneFinn View Post
N900 was dead already before Elop's time.
Perhaps, but I read all this news on my N900 because of a business trip. And belive me, all Stephen Elop related news were a really bad experience. Not only as a user and customer - no, also as a stock holder.

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Worst experience: It ran out of battery... ;-)

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Sometimes when I had Maep tracking on and was logged in to Skype, FB chat, and GTalk, the phone display refuses to turn on. The device was still on, I can ssh into it (file transfers), but otherwise it wouldn't react to anything. This happened three times at relatively inopportune moments (not at home, had to remove batter to reboot).

Fortunately after some checking and googling, I disabled HWsync and now the problem seems to have gone.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Romania
When I'm just messing with it, everything is ok! When I really need it, sometimes it just lags, behaves awful, and battery doesn't last no more. When I don't need it, battery lasts for 4 days, but hardly 1 day full usage.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
You Must Not Roam Data. That's not a guideline, that's an absolute. That's why google maps can never replace offline mapping software in Europe.
up til recently I'd have agreed - I have a bag-full of PAYG sim cards from the countries I visit frequently to give data access when abroad.

However I'm with Vodafone UK, and they recently upped the roaming data allowance on their "Vodafone Data Traveller" option to give 25MB/day in most EU countries. That is quite sufficient for occasional map tile downloads, when you've not pre-downloaded over wifi plus normal use for checking email & general daily web surfing. At £2/day (or £10/month) it is pretty fair pricing IMO, and I've started to use it - much easier than sim-swappng and being uncontactable on my UK mobile number ...

In fact, Vodafone UK have now introduced a £36/month tariff (on-line only) that includes Data Traveller - i.e. you get the 25MB/day allowance without any further cost. Previously, this was only bundled wth the most expensive of their tarrifs, this is the first time I've seen it offered on a "mid-priced" tarrif.

I was already on a £35/month tariff (which is total overkill for my talk/text/web needs, but which I signed up for in order to get my "free" N900 a couple of years ago), so for me this is a no brainer, I'll be switching in mid-October when my contract comes up for renewal (and probably taking a "free" E7 as a backup for if/when my beloved N900 dies).

Thought I'd mention this in case it is of interest to other UK based travellers, as I think it's a genuinely fair offer - not something I'd often admit of a mobile operator :-)

there are 2 plans with this offer, both are £36/month, both come with unlimited SMS, and in addition to the roaming data allowance both also include 10 SMS's/day within EU.

One offers 1200 mins/2GB public Wifi/500MB data, while the other has 900/1GB/750MB. They also differ in the choice of phones offered free. See link below for more info, look for plans priced £36 which "include 25MB/day in selcted European countries":

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi...t_24monthplans

EDIT - forgot to point out - these are 24 month contracts.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
However I'm with Vodafone UK, and they recently upped the roaming data allowance on their "Vodafone Data Traveller" option to give 25MB/day in most EU countries. That is quite sufficient for occasional map tile downloads, when you've not pre-downloaded over wifi plus normal use for checking email & general daily web surfing. At £2/day (or £10/month) it is pretty fair pricing IMO
(...)
You're right, while you're abroad in the EU that does sound like fair pricing. I would however wait to see if people who use those still end up with unexpected bills.

i've used it (both at £10/month, which they charged pro-rata, i.e. they refunded me for the unused portion when I enabled/disabled it mid-month) and £2/day. Used it on 4 separate trips so far, including ones where I crossed multiple roaming EU countries in one day. All billing has been entirely accurate on each occasion - I have not paid a penny above the published charges. They also say they will send you a text if you get close to your daily allowance, and I suspect that this may actually work as the actual usage (connect/disconnect timestamps) is very accurately displayed on the VF website only a few hours in arrears. Won't help much if you're streaming video etc. but will probably warn you in time if you've just gradually racked up 20+MB of browsing/skype etc. in a day.

Which reminds me - I've tested, and skype works fine whilst roaming, I made quite a few short skype calls, and they worked OK without me getttign billed.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I think my worst experience was when I was having sxg driver issues. I felt a very warm sensation in my pocket, which turned out to be my overclocked N900 spinning in a kernel lock. It had drained most of the battery and made it so hot I had to leave it off for a good hour before daring to turn it back on.

I've since made a script to monitor it (and updated that to a QBW now), so it can at least attempt to stop it before it runs too long. It's only kicked in twice since then, but given the experience, I'd rather have a warning & reboot vs a hot phone with no battery left.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ BONDY, FRANCE
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Maybe it's a bit too late, but you could have tried to export/clean the database of conversations?
So do I...

But it's my fyvorite phone again!

Please Nokia, we want N950 with IR-DA !!!