Hi dwaradzyn!
Many, many thanks for this great app!
I'm searching for something to use for offroad navigation (something like o z i explorer) and i think that your app is the solution for our beloved device.

I'm looking for a way to load all my calibrated maps or a way to convert the maps downloaded with mobac but it seems that cloudgps uses a /dir/filexyz.png format while mobac creates a /dir/filexyz.jpg....
At this point i can create a script to convert all file in png but considering the allocated space, jpg would be a really better solution.

Do you think that it would be possible to choose also jpg as storage files?
And what do you think about sqlite storage? (like modrana)

or.... integrate:
http://code.google.com/p/swampex/

Last edited by xes; 2011-08-29 at 16:24.

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by xes View Post
I'm looking for a way to load all my calibrated maps or a way to convert the maps downloaded with mobac but it seems that cloudgps uses a /dir/filexyz.png format while mobac creates a /dir/filexyz.jpg....
At this point i can create a script to convert all file in png but considering the allocated space, jpg would be a really better solution.

Do you think that it would be possible to choose also jpg as storage files?
No need for conversion because jpg is supported and should work out of the box. Just change appropriate fileFormat entry in /opt/cloudgps/providers.ini so that CloudGPS will be able to find your tiles.

Originally Posted by xes View Post
And what do you think about sqlite storage? (like modrana)

or.... integrate:
http://code.google.com/p/swampex/
Both sqlite storage and using custom image as map (among many other features) are planned.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
First time playing with CloudGPS this afternoon; very impressed indeed.

One immediate thought, as a new user, is that I can't immediately remember all the keyboard shortcuts from the first post, so it would be nice if CloudGPS itself had a help screen, possibly by typing a "?" character.

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
READ THE FIRST POST! All the instructions are there.

Press 'S' to change search provider.
Changing the search provider doesn't change the routing provider. Thats the 'R' key. But this is not documented in the first post.

Even with the 'R' key, the is no bicycle support.

Hi.

I didn't read through everything so you may have heard this already:
1) Awesome smooth, really.
2) Cool of you to answer questions thoroughly.

It is however still kinda buggy:
1) Sometimes the tap-hold-menu isn't showing in 3D mode, in which case I have to switch to 2D and back.

2) Routing does not work for me. 'route download error' no matter which search provider. Tried several routes in different countries, even short ones. The CLI shows some errors when using cloudmade:
Code:
D/l error 6: Couldn't resolve host name for URL: 'http://routes.cloudmade.com/e4b1777b4b5154d69dbfc4678216183a/api/0.3/52.522414,13.173012,52.523737,13.181298/car.js?units=km&lang=en'
Search URL: http://routes.cloudmade.com/e4b1777b4b5154d69dbfc4678216183a/api/0.3/47.377031,8.548404,47.375315,8.558176/car.js?units=km&lang=en
D/l error 6: Couldn't resolve host name for URL: 'http://routes.cloudmade.com/e4b1777b4b5154d69dbfc4678216183a/api/0.3/47.377031,8.548404,47.375315,8.558176/car.js?units=km&lang=en'
Also errors like these (with cloudmade urls) show up even when using google as the search provider.

3) The A and B markers look weirdly tilted backwards in 3D mode, they should rather be at 90° to map surface imo.

4) Sometimes it just crashes while panning but I was'nt abe to reproduce this consistently

5) Cannot use dead keys to input umlauts. I have ¨ bound to a key on my n900 to make ö out of ¨ and o for example. they don't appear in cloudgps.

6) Bogus search results. E.g. 'kurfuerstendamm' (a road in berlin) takes me to 'valencia street' in san francisco. Plus search results aren't context sensitive. Instead of taking a (geographically) close match it often takes me to US cities with similar names.

7) Segfault when tapping the goggles and typing something, then hitting enter, can't reproduce this now but last time it happend constantly.

Good job though!
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

hi

have been using this amazing app for ages and its perfect

i have recently noticed that it now supports OS mapping in the UK

i was wondering if there is anyway i can save the OS maps on my N900 as i am going to north wales camping/walking next week and battery and reception will be a real issue.

I read the first page of this thread which says it is possible to use maps offline but I couldnt make much sense of it.

Thanks

hey im having a problem, after i upgraded to the last version, i just cant see the maps. the screen is just blank and it looks like it doesnt connect to the internet cuz at the top left corner where the D/l is shows always 0.00 Kb..

and im getting gps signal cuz a few bars are showing.

please help me since i use this app a lot and now i cant use it .

thanks

Originally Posted by magick777 View Post
First time playing with CloudGPS this afternoon; very impressed indeed.

One immediate thought, as a new user, is that I can't immediately remember all the keyboard shortcuts from the first post, so it would be nice if CloudGPS itself had a help screen, possibly by typing a "?" character.
Long term plan is to make CloudGPS usable without keyboard. Since there is high demand for help screen I think it will be included in a release right after MCC2011 is finished.

Originally Posted by MrClear View Post
Changing the search provider doesn't change the routing provider. Thats the 'R' key. But this is not documented in the first post.

Even with the 'R' key, the is no bicycle support.
Thanks for spotting that. I have updated first post with missing keyboard controls.

Originally Posted by HWKB View Post
hi

have been using this amazing app for ages and its perfect

i have recently noticed that it now supports OS mapping in the UK

i was wondering if there is anyway i can save the OS maps on my N900 as i am going to north wales camping/walking next week and battery and reception will be a real issue.

I read the first page of this thread which says it is possible to use maps offline but I couldnt make much sense of it.

Thanks
Mobile Atlas Creator is a great tool to get offline maps. There is a lot of info about it on the net, including video tutorials (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4exhu4EThE). Just google it.

Originally Posted by Juanma9 View Post
hey im having a problem, after i upgraded to the last version, i just cant see the maps. the screen is just blank and it looks like it doesnt connect to the internet cuz at the top left corner where the D/l is shows always 0.00 Kb..

and im getting gps signal cuz a few bars are showing.

please help me since i use this app a lot and now i cant use it .

thanks
1. Are there any error messages when you launch /opt/cloudgps/cloudgps from x-terminal?
2. Could you paste the contents of /home/user/.cloudgps/config.ini file here? Then try deleting it and launching CloudGPS again.

Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
Hi.

I didn't read through everything so you may have heard this already:
1) Awesome smooth, really.
2) Cool of you to answer questions thoroughly.

It is however still kinda buggy:
1) Sometimes the tap-hold-menu isn't showing in 3D mode, in which case I have to switch to 2D and back.

2) Routing does not work for me. 'route download error' no matter which search provider. Tried several routes in different countries, even short ones. The CLI shows some errors when using cloudmade:
Code:
D/l error 6: Couldn't resolve host name for URL: 'http://routes.cloudmade.com/e4b1777b4b5154d69dbfc4678216183a/api/0.3/52.522414,13.173012,52.523737,13.181298/car.js?units=km&lang=en'
Search URL: http://routes.cloudmade.com/e4b1777b4b5154d69dbfc4678216183a/api/0.3/47.377031,8.548404,47.375315,8.558176/car.js?units=km&lang=en
D/l error 6: Couldn't resolve host name for URL: 'http://routes.cloudmade.com/e4b1777b4b5154d69dbfc4678216183a/api/0.3/47.377031,8.548404,47.375315,8.558176/car.js?units=km&lang=en'
Also errors like these (with cloudmade urls) show up even when using google as the search provider.

3) The A and B markers look weirdly tilted backwards in 3D mode, they should rather be at 90° to map surface imo.

4) Sometimes it just crashes while panning but I was'nt abe to reproduce this consistently

5) Cannot use dead keys to input umlauts. I have ¨ bound to a key on my n900 to make ö out of ¨ and o for example. they don't appear in cloudgps.

6) Bogus search results. E.g. 'kurfuerstendamm' (a road in berlin) takes me to 'valencia street' in san francisco. Plus search results aren't context sensitive. Instead of taking a (geographically) close match it often takes me to US cities with similar names.

7) Segfault when tapping the goggles and typing something, then hitting enter, can't reproduce this now but last time it happend constantly.

Good job though!
Ad. 1. 3. 4. 5. 7. I am aware of those bugs and working on fixing them.

Ad. 2. Please try adding this line:
Code:
forceIPv4=1
to [Network] section in /opt/cloudgps/cloudgps.ini file and report back if it helped with your problem.

Ad. 6. This is intended behavior. Google Local Search is the only search provider sensitive to current location on screen. All other searches are not location aware. You should use searches like "street, city" for them to return sensible results.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
"1. Are there any error messages when you launch /opt/cloudgps/cloudgps from x-terminal?
2. Could you paste the contents of /home/user/.cloudgps/config.ini file here? Then try deleting it and launching CloudGPS again.[/QUOTE]"

Ok so i launched from xterminal and this is what i got " 2 batteries foundddrawGLScene GL_ERROR: 500"

and this is the info inside that path you told me to look at:

"[CurrentView]
zoom=0
tilex=14464
tiley=2147483644
x=239.864013671875
y=-inf

[Options]
provider=OpenStreetMap I
tileProvider=OpenStreetMap I
geocodingProvider=Google Maps Local
routingProvider=CloudMade
loadLastRoute=0"

Any idea on what the problem would be? would you try to help me to get it to work?

thanks in advance.

Tags
best gps app