Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Steve “Chippy” Paine from UMPC Portal http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/news/ has in his hands a N810...
The guy is kinda an authority about ultra mobile devices, so if you want to read his experiences, take a look...

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/ne...=2064&forum=21

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Nice descriptive thread title.... That's what *I* think.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
ok Technut..I don't have a N810 so I cannot make a comment...the most concerning thing for me is about the slow web browsing experience with the OS2008; is not the first time I read a comment about...I am really thinking in give the OS2008 a try once official release be out, and If it is so slow, I wll be back with the OS2007 no doubt..I would sacrifice the nice OS2008 interface and so for browsing speed..

I'm not sure Chippy was comparing the browsing speed to OS2007, but rather to UMPCs (most of which have more CPU and RAM). I'm on OS2008 beta and haven't found a good reason to go back to OS2007 yet... only thing that brought me close is the issue with doing VoIP over Skype right now.

Just fyi, here's more from Chippy:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...earchid=869179

He seems to favour the Everun, but look at the size of the thing!

versus the N810

Last edited by technut; 2007-12-13 at 00:26.

Yeah, no question about...even I doubt if the N8XX can be included in a UMPC specialized site...
As for the web browsing experience, don´t have you noted any downgrade regarding your OS2008 experience versus OS2007?

Last edited by akd; 2007-12-13 at 01:48.

I would say that site compatibility is better in OS2008, and only the most intensive javascript pages seem particularly slow. Maybe my expectations are too low, but I'm fine with how it's working for me. As I'm planning to post somewhere else here, I've read that being in R&D mode can hurt performance and I wonder if some of these folks aren't still in R&D mode after "testing" the N810 OS on their N800s.

The Following User Says Thank You to technut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by technut View Post
As I'm planning to post somewhere else here, I've read that being in R&D mode can hurt performance and I wonder if some of these folks aren't still in R&D mode after "testing" the N810 OS on their N800s.
Really? I didn't read about this, but if it's real, I'm going to switch to normal mode...

Well I'm just going by what I read here:
http://www.thisismobility.com/blog/2...rmware-update/
"Disable RD mode using the flasher using ‘flasher-3.0-static –disable-rd-mode’. Power consumption and response times seem to really suffer with RD mode left on, so I always turn it back off now."
I've also read that R&D mode enables the serial port (beside the battery), which is a power drain. Looking at the Flasher parameters, I suspect R&D doesn't actually enable the serial port by default. But I can't think of a good reason to leave R&D mode on all the time. I just install "becomeroot" and that's all I need.