Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ England
Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to switch the current desktop to another through the terminal.

I know pressing the left and right arrow keys does this but I want to create a Queen Beecon Widget which switches the first desktop to the second one.

I know I can just swipe, but this is for emergencies so that people without knowledge of the N900's functionality can see my important contacts with minimal effort (1 click).

If there isn't, that's ok. I know the Desktop Switcher widget does this, but I have no idea if this can be done through terminal. I have Desktop Switcher installed but I can't customise it as easily as I can with QBW.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
If you use a modified hildon-desktop (the one in CSSU or matans modified hildon-desktop) you can use gconf-tool for changing the current desktop.

But for the original unmodified hildon-desktop there is no command line
tool for changing the desktop.
The Desktop Switcher widget simulates the swipe event.

Nicolai

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
If you use a modified hildon-desktop (the one in CSSU or matans modified hildon-desktop) you can use gconf-tool for changing the current desktop.

But for the original unmodified hildon-desktop there is no command line
tool for changing the desktop.
The Desktop Switcher widget simulates the swipe event.

Nicolai
Great! I have the CSSU installed so gconf is there. How would I go about changing the values or finding them as I do not know where they are stored.

I know it's something like:

gconftool-2 -s "<this is where I get lost>" -t int "2"

Or something along those lines, I don't know if that's the correct format for this (different data types?) so any more help is appreciated! Thanks!

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Russia
There is a desktop-switcher widget for this.

Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
There is a desktop-switcher widget for this.
I know about this, however it doesn't achieve the same effect that I want to create. I want to essentially create a button which switches the desktop to some emergency contacts.

If I should get into an accident, or someone around me does, I want anyone to be able to quickly make contact with the contacts on the second desktop.

If you know how to change the background image of the Desktop Switcher Widget please do tell me! That's really all I need in addition.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TajB View Post
gconftool-2 -s "<this is where I get lost>" -t int "2"
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/current -t int x where x is the number of the desktop view you want to switch to.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keneraali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Keneraali View Post
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/current -t int x where x is the number of the desktop view you want to switch to.
Works perfectly! Thank you very much!