Active Topics

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Except now they switched from spraying ant poison to just pissing all over the house instead--it's clearly ineffective already, as Windows Phone 7 has already proven itself as a dud. They didn't FIX anything with this.
I'd say they just burned the first house before even starting the new one, and now winter is comming...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
I am in a lookout for a tablet as well. MeeGo one would certainly be number one choice if there was a good one.. as it turns out, there isn't really even bad one. Other option would have been the HP touchpad, but seems like I missed that frenzy. iPad just seems too closed and somehow Android doesn't feel right. Although haven't tried these 3.x models, so my judgment is purely based on 2.1 phone!

Anyways, seems rather pointless to wait for MeeGo ones, if there's none published so far, unlikely any would be released within next 6 months. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on them touchpads on ebay.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Just from a curious user point of view: what would be the advantage of a Meego tablet over - say - an Ubuntu tablet?
Lighter linux backbone?
Userland apps optimized for tablet use?
Or there is something I don't see?

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Just from a curious user point of view: what would be the advantage of a Meego tablet over - say - an Ubuntu tablet?
Focus. Ubuntu has no good touch UI, nor does any of the software that it comes with by default have decent touch interfaces.

MeeGo is heavily focused around touch as a means of interacting with the system. And with a tablet, attempting to poke tiny UI elements intended for use with a mouse, is an exercise in frustration.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Focus. Ubuntu has no good touch UI, nor does any of the software that it comes with by default have decent touch interfaces.

MeeGo is heavily focused around touch as a means of interacting with the system. And with a tablet, attempting to poke tiny UI elements intended for use with a mouse, is an exercise in frustration.
Is it feasable to build cordia on top of debian/ubuntu/fedora/gentoo.

So far both gnome and kde are missing effective solution for mobile ui.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
a beautiful UI is needed only for the technologically challenged...

for people who want to get work done (most of us here), what actually matters is the applications that matter. i.e. functional browser, fully capable office software, productivity tools, a robust core, strong media consumption softwares, etc....

the reason why debian, or any other distribution is a no-go for 90% of users, is because the openoffice or libreoffice cannot even handle a fully featured .docx properly......

People dont use a OS for marveling at an UI saying "my precious" whole day... some people got things to do.... (the whole reason, why people still stick to Windows)

The Following User Says Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:

and thats why i loved Maemo. Despite having slightly lacking here and there, it had features that "could have been exploited" to bring out the best for productivity on a mobile device.... (e.g. koffice, or telepathy for SIP integration, or fcam)

Last edited by IcyMoustache; 2011-09-06 at 18:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Is it feasable to build cordia on top of debian/ubuntu/fedora/gentoo.

So far both gnome and kde are missing effective solution for mobile ui.
Sure. Smoku's primary development work for the UI has been done on top of either fedora or opensuse (not sure which.)

And yes they are missing solutions for the mobile UI.

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
a beautiful UI is needed only for the technologically challenged...
I like to think of myself as technologically adept, but I do like a UI that behaves responsively and with nice effects.

for people who want to get work done (most of us here), what actually matters is the applications that matter. i.e. functional browser, fully capable office software, productivity tools, a robust core, strong media consumption softwares, etc....
Sure. But all work and no play...

the reason why debian, or any other distribution is a no-go for 90% of users, is because the openoffice or libreoffice cannot even handle a fully featured .docx properly......
Of course they can't. Only Microsoft can fully implement .docx, something which was done deliberately by MS during their ramming it through ISO.

Last edited by wmarone; 2011-09-07 at 17:38.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro View Post
I am in a lookout for a tablet as well. MeeGo one would certainly be number one choice if there was a good one.. as it turns out, there isn't really even bad one. Other option would have been the HP touchpad, but seems like I missed that frenzy. iPad just seems too closed and somehow Android doesn't feel right. Although haven't tried these 3.x models, so my judgment is purely based on 2.1 phone!

Anyways, seems rather pointless to wait for MeeGo ones, if there's none published so far, unlikely any would be released within next 6 months. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on them touchpads on ebay.
You might try the Dreambook W7. It currently ships with Android 2.x, but you can put MeeGo on it using the work thus far (not for end users) of the Cordia project.

Last edited by SD69; 2011-09-07 at 06:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
People who 'want to get work done' aren't buying tablets.

Tablets are a toy and a ridiculous fad. Which is why the iPad is the only tablet that successfully sells -- it's a beautiful toy gadget with a toy OS running on toy hardware with a business model that was based on the practices of the game console industry.

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:

Tags
meego no-go, new dawn fades, orphaned