Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Warranty was not an issue in my case, fortunately. I received my original N900 at the Maemo Summit and later was allowed to keep rather than return it. After it broke, Nokia was kind enough to replace it. Same story when that one broke.

As for not being entitled, I'm not sure what that means. My understanding is that in my case the N900 service was in recognition of contributions.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Warranty was not an issue in my case, fortunately. I received my original N900 at the Maemo Summit and later was allowed to keep rather than return it. After it broke, Nokia was kind enough to replace it. Same story when that one broke.

As for not being entitled, I'm not sure what that means. My understanding is that in my case the N900 service was in recognition of contributions.
Well, the whole discussion was about whether one was "entitled" to get the usb problem fixed because one was under warranty. Since you weren't apparently under warranty, you weren't "entitled" by virtue of having a warranty, just by virtue of being cool -- aka, in recognition of contributions.

But while I've got you on the line -- do you think that people beyond warranty but with busted usbs have no hope or right to get them fixed from Nokia, or should they try to hassle Nokia into fixing them anyway?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
do you think that people beyond warranty but with busted usbs have no hope or right to get them fixed from Nokia, or should they try to hassle Nokia into fixing them anyway?
I've gotten into heated arguments with Nokia Care reps on this. In my opinion (and that's all it is) this is a serious enough defect, and entirely Nokia's responsibility-- and so Nokia should cover it beyond warranty. Maybe a year longer, maybe 2. But I don't see that happening. Cell phone manufacturers (not just Nokia) see these devices as disposable... even at $600 USD or so. And many consumers have accepted that.

I also think everyone experiencing this should push until they get satisfaction. Assuming they have the time and energy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
FYI. In my case Nokia refuses to fix my broken USB. I am in the USA.

September 2009 - pre-orded and purchased the N900 from Amazon which included the 1 year manufacturer's warranty from Nokia.

September 2010 - Warranty expiration date

February 2011 - USB port broken, created a repair request via NokiaUSA.com's website. I paid shipping and mailed my N900 to the nearest service center indicated by the website, Fort Worth, TX.

February 2011 - Received my N900 back not repaired. Included packing slip states "Our records indicate your warranty has passed the expiration date, 12 months from date of manufacture...Defective... Out of Warranty"

February 2011 - logged into the NokiaUSA.com's website to see if more information was there regarding my repair request. The website states Nokia will NOT repair my N900 and list 4 different 3rd party repair shops to mail it to.

----

In my case Nokia identifies the broken USB port as defective as well as refuses to repair my N900 post warranty.

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Spain
Very disappointed and do not know what to do ... unfortunately I am one of the users of the N900 to it broke the USB, I take it to nokia service from 10 days ago and today received a message saying that it had to offer the phone.

To my surprise I had given a Nokia E7, that no longer makes Nokia N900, supposedly now this is the flagship of Nokia (for price if it is). But as we all know, this phone is a little **** compared to the possibilities of our N900 and other brands.

Do not know if I can claim to Nokia on this central event, but I am very saddened by the loss of this great N900.

Maybe try to sell cheap and buy me Galaxy S2 | | HTC Sensation with vodafone ..

I'm screwed.

Nokia's suggested repair centers can't fix my usb and I cannot find a 3rd party repairman to fix it. I hate to say it but nokia has lost me to android unless the N9 or N950 is an absolute beast.

i dont know if it is politically correct to say this, but reading this tread makes me feel really stupid for having been ultracarefull with my port for the last few months. Seems like i should hope it breaks while still in warranty?

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
I had this problem in warranty and still had to argue. I got told it was physical damage and not covered so I printed this page

http://discussions.nokia.ie/t5/Maemo...ng/td-p/629019

and took it to nokia repair shop. They fixed it but like I say it was in warranty. I now taken a grinder to the tags on the charger and the usb lead to minimise the risk of it happening again.

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
Another update: [long story short, I'm getting a new N900]

I called nokia customer service again a week ago and argued with a technical support guy. He wasn't rude or anything, just firm on the fact that since my warranty expired, they couldn't do anything about my broken phone. I requested to speak to someone with a bit more authority, and he said a manager would call me back within two days time.

The next day a manager called me and we went back and forth on the warranty issue. He seemed determined to figure out exactly when the purchase was made (I couldn't find the receipt, and I wasn't sure about exactly when the purchase was made). At one point he conference called ebay to see if they could resend the purchase receipt, so that took a while.

I argued (as suggested by texrat and others on this post, and on this very helpful thread) that this was a design flaw and as such it shouldn't matter whether the warranty was expired or not. I became a bit flustered at one point when he referred to the phone as an "n95" (seriously), and after he kept acknowledged the problem but proposed no solution. It took a more than an hour of going back and forth, but he finally agreed to send me a new N900. I am awaiting it's arrival.

If this approach had not worked, my final attempt would have involved contacting "vandelay" through the nokia forums or his email, he seems to have been helpful to those on that thread.

So, it's possible but it isn't easy.

Last edited by jmc8501; 2011-09-07 at 21:22.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
I got my new N900 today!

It's obviously a different build quality. The case/backing had a different feel to it... it's a little more dull and matte. Same goes for the keyboard. However, those are minor differences, and I'm very happy I finally have a real phone again. I hope these differences mean that the usb wont fall out again!