Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Some posts made on Konttori's blog mths ago have been allowed to show-up.
And he's finally responded to them....
http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...6/respect.html

We already know RX is requiring community hacking
And it progressing rather nicely, thanks to Nokia's help.
And we already know NFC support is there.

But he also seems to suggest BT4 will be there at launch, or maybe he means the 1st major update?
If the former, this conflicts with other official words we've heard about BT4.
(i.e. will come with 1st major update).

Man flash support sounds like it's working so damn well.
Would be such a shame if they decide not to license it for Fennec.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-09 at 23:04.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Some posts made on Konttori's blog mths ago have been allowed to show-up.
And he's finally responded to them....
http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...6/respect.html

We already know RX is requiring community hacking
And it progressing rather nicely, thanks to Nokia's help.
And we already know NFC support is there.

But he also seems to suggest BT4 will be there at launch, or maybe he means the 1st major update?
If the former, this conflicts with other official words we've heard about BT4.
(i.e. will come with 1st major update).

Man flash support sounds like it's working so damn well.
Would be such a shame if they decide not to license it for Fennec.
the way he writes it, then BT4 is there at launch
At the 3 / N9 meeting we were told that the tag reading would be in PR 1.1 which he confirms and since he doesn't write "(PR1.1) after the BT4 part is must indicate that it'll be there from the start.

the flash part seems promising - it's better than refusing to integrate flash!

I also like the sentence "Alien Dalvik is most welcome and Ovi Store won't block it in any way. I think it would be a nice revenue tool for myriad to sell it for a few euros. I know I would buy it."
But again, it is up to Myriad to make it happen (en Nokia not to block) - it's better than nothing - or we could just dual boot with android (or iOS, lol) - it's just not the same...

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
oh for freak sake. 400 EUR :O I dont tjhink soo...
Maybe, maybe not. I'm just saying that I don't think the N9 will be a big sales success if it is priced much higher than Android devices with similar hardware.
If the N9 will be iPhone priced (520 euros and up), I think most people will choose Apple, and sales of the N9 over it's total lifespan will probably won't exceed 200.000 units. It will be a niche device, with too few users for commercial developers to target the N9 specifically (but some commercial developers that make Symbian Qt applications may also release a N9 version).

It compete very well with Iphone4 and maybe also Iphone 5.
In some ways hopefully it will, in others it won't.
An iPhone 4 with iOS 5 has a LOT of features that the N9 does not have, mostly because of the large application catalogue.
The only way for the N9 to gain functionality in the future is for Nokia to get as many users as fast as possible. Otherwise it will not get many applications, and Nokia will not have much incentive to fix bugs and design mistakes in future firmware updates, they need feedback and a user base.

And if theyr THAT stupid dumping the price for it like that well. Then They really have to put MrFlop at hospital right away.
I don't see why it would be stupid. Devices like the Nokia 5800 were popular partly because of the low introduction price, and introduced the Symbian touch devices very successfully.
Nokia usually introduces the flagship devices at a high price, and lowers the price relatively quickly (Like what happened with the Nokia N95 and N900). The N8 was a bit different, and had a relatively low introduction price for the "Nokia Flagship device".
But I do agree with you that it is very likely that the N9 will be more expensive (who would buy Symbian phones and at what price? ), but I do believe it would be very bad for MeeGo as a platform.

Iphone is so damn overhyped because of its "apps". But If they want Iphone go back to Nokia, N9 is needed there is no way Iphone fanboys go for WP. N9 and "SwipeUI" is bigger chance to take some Iphone users back for Nokia. So why dump the price, and make the device look like crap?
I don't see why "dumping" the price makes a device look like crap. Maybe if you consider your phone a status symbol, would the price make it look crappy, but other than that.

999999 apps so what? its not only about apps.
No it is not, but MeeGo starts almost at zero when considering apps, and that is a very relevant number.

Camera is better. It has NFC. More flash memory etc...

And btw. dont compare specifications from one OS to another.
Why not? I agree that the differences in OS-es make comparisons a bit tricky, but it does give an idea of the maximum capabilities.

And WP from nokia will not come to those official N9 countrys erlier than end of Q1 2012. This means N9 will be needed.
I agree that Nokia needs a top selling smartphone as soon as possible. In Europe Nokia sold 60% less smartphones compared to a year earlier according to a report.
But I don't think that at 500-600 euros the N9 will be that "big-hit".

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Just get an iphone. It simply works.

Originally Posted by Lindegaard View Post
the way he writes it, then BT4 is there at launch
Yeah but that conflicts with what Nokia management has said in Australia.
CBF'd digging it up right now....
Basically they said it's coming, but with the 1st update, not @launch.
I've asked him some questions to see if he can clarify further.
Lets hope he doesn't take 6wks to approve & then answer them again

@Konttori
Just a quick follow-up to those 3 posts of yours.
If at all possible....
I'd be hugely grateful if you'd respond relatively quickly.
Instead of 5-6 weeks later. Thanks if you can!

(1)
Are you saying BT4 is there for launch....
Or is it coming w/the 1st major update, along w/tag reading?
How soon *roughly* after launch, can we expect that update?
I'm aware of the community efforts for RX/RDS, it's progressing nicely, thanks to Nokia's help!

(2)
Re Alien Dalvik, do you foresee any potential reasons...
Why selling AD via the Nokia Store, or to end-users period, may not be attractive for Myriad?

(3)
Re Flash 11... Is is possible for someone to give jolo a "nudge"?
It's been months since we've heard from him over at talk.maemo.org
At the time he sounded quite positive for a good outcome.
He was not making any promises of course...
It was testing well, & the main hurdle left was the licensing.
We've tried PM'ing him & posting in the thread, but to no avail.

All the best!

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I'm just saying that I don't think the N9 will be a big sales success if it is priced much higher than Android devices with similar hardware.
If the N9 will be iPhone priced (520 euros and up), I think most people will choose Apple, and sales of the N9 over it's total lifespan will probably won't exceed 200.000 units. It will be a niche device, with too few users for commercial developers to target the N9 specifically (but some commercial developers that make Symbian Qt applications may also release a N9 version).<SNIP>
Wait till it's out (somewhere) & we can actually do detailed comparos, before we question it's value or lack thereof.
Honestly, no one (even N950 owners) really can, until we can do detailed comparos, & we have far more certainty on prices.
Then we can "go to town" on it's value or lack thereof. It's just a pointless exercise at this pont in time....

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-09 at 23:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Just get an iphone. It simply works.
Oh. Hello again!
Making your invaluable contributions to the conversation once again I see.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Well

If the N9 price is about 300 euros in Australia then...

Price in Finland will be about 600+

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 188 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Lindegaard View Post
lol, yeah, that guy was a bit weird/really geeky.

I figured out that it had to be someone from TMO asking the fm question, btw I didn't laugh at you (loud ) - so you were in the red/black-striped shirt, right?

I believe we'll get to 9000 post before we have a N9
I didn't cry for more than a couple of hours when i went to bed that night, because of people laughing at me, so no worries

And pretty darn well remembered, yes that was me!!

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
Only a few days to go until the media event in Malaysia... pretty stoked!!! Since I'm having some "difficulty" acquiring an invite, I've asked a friend who is going to attempt to get some clarification on the TX/RX antenna - seeing as current info on TX not being connected is based on the N950. Although I'm not holding my hopes up since Nokia Malaysia are typically a bunch of dimwits...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biatch0 For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????